main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The First Installment of the 2007 Jedi Draft (Winner: Shadow_of_Durron)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by EMPEROR_WINDU, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Luke >= Vader
    Kol < Bane
    Hoth < Malak
    Kyp > Ventress
    Cade < Vastor
    Lobi << Desann
    Vao > Tavion
    Ikrit < Wynn
    Urr > Bandon
    Zekk > Sirak

Power - Certainly he has the advantage in power, if mostly due to the presence of Skywalkers. But it's not a very large edge, considering Vader and the other dark lords with him.

Skill - Here is where I come ahead, considering that we have several highly trained and formidible Sith Lords. Generally, the Sith tend to be ahead of the Jedi in skill but the Jedi win out due to some technicality or other. Do not underestimate the value of having several Dark Lords of the Sith and other talented Darksiders all together. They have incredible skill.

Cohesion - I don't see the issue with Vader and Ventress, I really don't. Vader is very different from Anakin Skywalker, and Ventress was serving the apprentice of Vader's final master. Certainly Bane and Sirak would have issues, but Sirak is a very minor part of the team. More importantly, we have several powerful Dark Lords of the Sith--some of whom are used to working with/under another. Shadow's team has the advantage, of course, but it's not nearly as big as he'd like to make out.

Experience - Vader, Bane, and Malak have tremendous experience. They're all dark lords of the Sith, they've all went through warfare and fighting for most of their time, and they've all faced tremendously talented Jedi and Sith. Ventress has Jedi pelts by the dozen hanging off of her belt. Desann went toe to toe with Katarn and Skywalker and gave them both trouble--and these are the individuals who took out Jerec and HIM the Emperor Palpatine. This is no small feat. Further, Wynn is the head of the entire Sith academy under Revan and Malak. That speaks volumes about his knowledge and experience. The only holes in experience are Tavion, Bandon, and Sirak--who are at the bottom of the field anyway. What has Kol done? What about Tresina Lobi? Cade's a bounty hunter, so we know all about that padawan's experience... Vao is a n00b and Zekk is a small fry. He doesn't have the edge in experience, not by a long shot.

Good edges in skill and experience combine and reinforce each other. They're certainly more significant than a dubious edge in power and a slightly more significant edge in cohesion.

2. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Luke >= Vader

I'd respond to the rest of it, but really, that says it all right there. Goodness.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, yes, I'm sorry. I forgot, Luke pwnzored Vader when he swung his saber around like a drunken teenager playing wiffleball. Please do kindly forgive the omission.

4. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Wasn't that really, really, really, not peak Luke? Like, at all?

5. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Yeah, Luke pwned Vader as a teenager. I doubt I need to mention how much more powerful Luke became after the destruction of the second Death Star.

6. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Yeah, which means Luke pwned Vader with basically pure power channeled into Form V. Which is pretty much the only way Anakin's ever won a saber fight, like, ever. Vader could not withstand the onslaught much as he did try - meaning it's a legit victory, even though Vader could have won the fight at any point before then.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Except he didn't try. At all.

Think about this logically, now. Luke is better than Vader as a teen, yet he gets overwhelmed by C'baoth? Why isn't C'baoth the Emperor's apprentice, then?

Only the most superficial look at ROTJ suggests any sort of overpowering victory. The entire point is that Vader's heart wasn't into it. His feelings were divided, so he wasn't fighting at his best. This is the point of the entire duel. The duel is on another level--it's not physical, it's a duel of consciences and souls.

8. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Think about this logically now. In addition to having great difficulty with C'Baoth, good ol' Zahn also wrote Luke and Mara as having some extreme trouble in defeating a single droideka. This some 13 years after the C'Baoth incident, meaning a much more powerful and experienced Luke and a much more powerful and experienced Mara.

So clearly, Jar Jar Binks > C'Baoth, Mara or Luke.

Even if one were to consider that RotJ fight a total fluke, Luke definitely has surpassed Vader as of Dark Empire, minus some 30 or so years of growth and skill and experience and feats.

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    If I am commish for the next draft Jar Jar will on the list, you can all blame Durron.

10. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Booo @ holding up a JD in an argument between Luke, Vader, and apparently Jar Jar.

Just. Plain. Booo.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Championship Conference

Luke Skywalker, Kol Skywalker, Lord Hoth, Kyp Durron, Cade Skywalker, Tresina Lobi, Shado Vao, Ikrit, Odan-Urr, Zekk vs Darth Vader, Darth Bane, Darth Malak, Asajj Ventress, Kar Vastor, Desann, Tavion, Uthar Wynn, Darth Bandon, Sirak

Luke >> Vader
    Kol < Bane
    Hoth => Malak
    Kyp >> Assaj
    Cade <= Kar
    Lobi < Desann
    Vao => Tavion
    Ikrit > Wynn
    Odan-Urr > Bandon
    Zekk >> Sirak

Uh-oh. Doesn't look good for one side. Let's see how cohesion looks.

Uh-oh. Vader hates Ventress. Bane-Sirak isn't good either. Ventress doesn't know Vader's identity, so it's not a complete glitch, just a hiccup. Other team? Well, Cade hates Luke's shadow, but I'm sure he'd love fighting along side Kol and Luke. And, um, yeah ... no major hiccups.

How about an x-factor?

Well, Luke might not be in the best mental stage to plan a fight against a Vader lead team. So that works in favor of Jello's team. Too bad Hoth is there to help with that.

Umm, yeah. This would be an entertaining fight to watch, but it's not really in doubt.

Winner: Shurron

Consolation Conference

Jacen Solo, Lumiya, Darth Krayt, Darth Nihl, Darth Talon, Jerec, Lord Kopecz, Darth Zannah, Vergere, Marka Ragnos vs Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kit Fisto, Quinlan Vos, Depa Billaba, Shaak Ti, Ben Skywalker, Tesar Sebatyne, Valenthyne Farfalla, The Poofster, Tholme

Jacen > Kenobi
    Lumiya > Fisto (how did these teams finish top four with Lumiya and Kit Fisto as their two slots?)
    Krayt < Vos
    Nihl <= Depa
    Talon < Shaak Ti
    Jerec > Ben (not for long, I'd guess)
    Kopecz => Tesar
    Zannah < Val
    Vergere >> Poof
    Marka ? Tholme

Very close. Edge to Kyp's team, with the top two edge. But not by much. Not enough to win outright.

Cohesion is pretty even, too. Jacen has Vergere and Lumiya to connect with. Krayt, Nihl, and Talon work together, even if there is a hint of friction between Nihl and Talon. Just about all of PRENN's team have worked together. Obi is a better leader than Jacen. A little dark side dabbling would tick Obi off. But the leadership edge is enough to give his team a slight edge.

I think what really decides this is two things: one team has some members that do things with the Force the other team hasn't really seen before, in terms of deception and tactics. That same team is also a lot more ruthless and less bound to ethics. And I think that gives a slight advantage to the winning team.

Winner: Kyp

12. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I agree with Inty. Might've gone the other way with the consolation round earlier on, though I heard some good arguments for Kyp's team.

This also means that Shurron has won his second consecutive Jedi Draft. Congratulations.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    So that does it, congratulations everyone on a well played draft. We should also give a hand to Durron, as it appears he pulled off a repeat.

=D=

Let me just contact a mod and inform him of Durron's win so he can have those colors........HEY INTY GIVE DURRON COLORS!

:p

Again, good draft people.

I suppose we can open up talks now on prep/location options, additions to the list (if any), or anything else that may come up.

PS: Almost forgot, congrats to Kyp on pulling off a well deserved win to take 3rd place honors. =D=

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Congrats (again) Shurron. This is quite the run. Winner: SFD, Winner: JD, Second: SFD, Winner: JD. Not to mention your winning the first VGD, the win you got the in the CBD, and your playoff showing in the M/TVD. You are a first ballot draft hall-of-famer.

As to next draft, Despised, you are my first choice for commish. I'll talk with Stilo about when to reboot it, but I imagine we'll take a week or so off. Unfortunately, you'll lose your VIPship during that time, Despised.

For changes, I say we get rid of prep time. It's not a Jedi Draft thing. If we really want to do locations, I say we do them how they are currently being done in the Comic Book Draft: one location per round per conference. I also thought teams were a little larger than they needed to be.

15. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats Shurron - well deserved victory

Well played Prenn, good game. That said, I'm quite pleased with my highest place yet in any draft.

I'd say keep prep, but lose the locations. The locations make everything confusing, especially some of the weirder ones. That said, the actual prep is useful for many characters, and can keep things interesting in matches which are normally clear cut.

For most teams, the final 2 picks weren't terribly useful. Unlike other drafts, they don't really bring tech or many special benefits that aren't already there in regular teams.

16. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Congrats Durron. And you do realize he is probably going to win the Movie Draft with a team of Power Rangers too

17. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I would to offer congratulations to Durron as well. I just want to add that I was really honored that I was able to judge the last few rounds.

Also one more thing:

last post

18. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Good work Shurron. Surely you're up there with Burd in terms of draft greats.

All the more reason why I need to be in the next one.

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Sweetness. Thanks, dudes.

I didn't mind ten per team, but a definite vote to get rid of prep time from me. Not that my vote matters too much, since I'm taking a break from the next one.

Yeah I've said that before recently and keep on signing up anyways, but I really do have to mean it this time. If I did want to be in this next one, I'd want to be a judge, and I just really won't have the time for that here pretty soon. I figure I can make do with judging the SFD, since its already so established. Rarely do you get a match in that one that you have to think about for more than fifteen minutes, besides team matches. So yeah, probably best to just take this next draft off.

Though I should still be good to be a temporary or backup judge if needed later on. Or a semi-commited replacment GM like I am in the Comic Draft right now.

EDIT: Oh, right, burd. That reminds me. Hey, burd. I hope you happen to read this one of these days. Your precious streak? 16 in a row in the JD was it? Yeah...

20, baby! Shattered! Booyah! Commence weeping... now.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    When's the next one so I can get old school on Shurron's behind?

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    and your playoff showing in the M/TVD.

And it could've been so much more... :p

22. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Congrats Shurron. ;)

Evil.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Congrats, Shadow.

24. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    My how this draft has changed!

10 players per side...EU like crazy? Wow...

Congrats, kids!

last post.

25. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Good to see the Jedi Draft GodFather Back

Last Post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.