main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Jedi Temple!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SexyRey, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    One of the reasons we know of for Luke leaving was to seek out the First Jedi Temple. We presume that's where Luke is at and that he will be training Rey there in the next movie. I'm particularly excited for this not just because we get to see Luke but because it also looks like the story is setting up to give us more (canonical) insight on the Jedi and their past! I don't know how much of a focus these story elements will be but I'm excited about that nonetheless. I wonder if they will borrow elements from KOTOR and the Old EU. I also wonder what time frame the movie might offer for when the First Jedi Temple was built and how that might coincide with our pre-existing ideas. Maybe they will sow details of the ancient Jedi throughout these films that will eventually lead into an Old Republic era anthology movie or trilogy down the road. What do you guys think? What do you hope to learn about the Jedi in future films?

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Looks like a place he went to forget and be forgotten. From the movie, he's all broken up after his fledging Jedi Order was wiped out before it even got off the ground by his nephew. It seemed like a place he went into exile to either out've his failure to destroy Snoke and these Dark Siders along with his nephew or he could not kill his sister's only child and so gave up arms completely or both . Seems like its, I suppose its his fortress of solitude. Maybe his ability to use Force had diminished like what occurred during the PT Jedi Order. Perhaps this Temple he felt could've revitalize his spirit and connection to the Force and Obi Wan and Ghost friends. Looks like he gave up and Rey going to find him is in a sense awakening him. Jedi need apprentices, as do Sith, that symbiotic bond.

3. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    In the EU, Luke doesnt kill Jacen/Caedus because he believed if he did he would turn to the darkside. Sounds like he's almost there and couldn't kill Kylo because of the same reason. Hes gone to the Jedi temple for answers on how to win without turning to the darkside.

In the EU he trains Jaina, which is now Rey to kill Jacen/Kylo. Same themes in the movies as in the Legends EU

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He's also being hunted down which is another element. So it looks like there is some fear involved for his own life and/or him hiding would draw attention away from Rey - who is likely the only other Force sensitive left.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I look forward to learning about the history of the Jedi. Hidalgo tweeted that it's a planet created for the ST and that Tython isn't canon. It would be interesting to learn how and when the Jedi and Sith came to be.

6. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    That is one of the things I am looking forward to.

Thomo93, KyloSolo and darklordoftech like this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_dancing] I can't wait!

Like Return of the Jedi, the film's title has double meaning(Anakin and Luke): Rey and Luke, young and old.

The Force has been in a bit of hibernation for a while. Now, it's AWAKENED!

8. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    During Kylo's mind probe of Rey, he said he saw the water and the island. Has Rey been there before?

Thomo93, 11-4D, ShaneP and 3 others like this.
  9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I don't like the paranoia about using CG. Ireland is about as cool a setting as there is but I would have liked the 1st temple to be on an alien looking world and the structure to be unearthly as well.
    Still, looking forward to this whole piece of it.

Ed_Fett_77 and AprilMayJune like this.
  10. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

She doesn't have to have been there before.

Yoda: "Through the force. Things you will see. Other places."

11. GutWrench

GutWrench Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2015
    I am intrigued by the first Jedi temple also. I hope they delve into the history of the Jedi order.

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Skellig is the most perfect Star Wars location I have yet seen, and an excellent spot for the first Jedi temple. It has an ancient and primordial air about it. Like something out of the mists of Irish legend, before even the Tuatha Dé Danann roamed its green hills.

The Star Wars saga is myth. And this was its most mythic moment yet, IMO.

Wacky CG worlds, unless they are urban like Coruscant and Bespin, are unwelcome to me at this point. I want places that feel like they are ripped from the deep well of human experience, not something that looks like a screensaver (Felucia, I'm looking at you).

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Totally agree about Skellig. Fantastic location to represent the first Jedi temple. Very, VERY minor gripe though. I was kinda hoping the planet was entirely ocean, and the island where the ancient Jedi temple resides is the only land mass that exists.

11-4D, Alpha Sloth and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Sorry I love Felucia!!!

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Differing opinions make the world beautiful.

Graphic and Matthaeus Sunrider like this.
  16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    No, they don't. They really don't. ;)

17. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I feel the same way. As Rey walks up the steps and leaves the Falcon behind, I had the impression that she was moving out of time, to a place from the remote and forgotten past. This impression was heightened for me by Luke's appearance: he looks like a Biblical prophet. I just don't believe some CG landscape, or even a practical set of some large temple, could have conveyed that feeling like Skellig did.

18. arbitrage

arbitrage Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    The map was to the Last Jedi Temple, not to Luke specifically. The map was found in the Imperial Archives so impossible to be a map to Luke himself. The novel explained this much more clearly than the movie where it really sounded like a map to Luke. Therefore, where Rey finds Luke is the Last Jedi Temple. Looked a lot like Machu Picchu to me in the middle of Rey's climb. I agree with others that the location they used was excellent for the place.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Cross posting from another thread:

They mention that Luke has gone back to the 'first Jedi temple'--now, this made me think back to Rebels, where Kanan and Ezra enter an old Jedi structure rich with the Force, where they can communicate with Yoda and seemingly undergo tests with him. Now, if the old ruins Luke has been dwelling in are basically the remains of an ancient Jedi holy site...it'd be cool if it turns out perhaps he was the one reaching out to Rey and Finn, somehow, or at the very least, contacting other Force-users and perhaps indirectly creating a new Jedi order planted all over the galaxy, to rise up when they are all prepared--making his destruction by Snoke all the more imperative.

At the very least, I sure as hell don't want Episode 8 to have him just be sitting on his butt for decades.

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Well said. It's a moment extracted from the primordial well of human memory. Joseph Campbell would have been proud.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe in ancient times the Jedi were less centralized, instead communicating through The Force from different temples. Since the Coruscant Jedi temple was built over a Sith shrine, I'm thinking that it was built after a war with the Sith.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Interested to hear just what Luke says about that sabre. I mean, to him, that sabre is nothing but bad news isn't it? And just how did Maz come to be in possession of it?

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
  23. nalkwan

nalkwan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2014
    That is a story for a comic book.

24. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Saber got sucked into a vent on Bespin and was jammed there. Some maintenance schlub found it there a while later, who pawned it to someone, who sold it to someone, who lost it someone, who bet it on a sabacc game, and ended up giving it to Maz while drunk.

leiamoody and darklordoftech like this.
  25. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004

That's an excellent question!

for another time

Jcuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.