main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Jedi Temple!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SexyRey, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah more than likely. Just like the Vader helmet remains I suppose. I'm good with that though.

2. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I haven't seen that lightsaber since before my hand was cut off

3. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Vader helmet is easy, Kylo probably just dredged it up from Endor at some point. Don't want to think about what happened to any Ewoks lingering around...

nalkwan likes this.
  4. nalkwan

nalkwan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2014
    And my original comment was in Maz's voice!

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think Joseph Campbell would have all but puked watching this movie but we'll never know.

Someone mentioned a biblical look to Luke in this scene and I do like that. It was almost jarring to see him in Jedi robes.

whostheBossk, T-R- and leiamoody like this.
  6. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    What would make Campbell puke would be seeing one of the people representing his archives/foundation on Ancient Aliens every week. Campbell was about the studying of old mythologies, not actively participating in manufacturing new ones that are meant to be taken seriously (no, the Star Wars films don't count because they don't claim to be anything but fiction; Ancient Aliens, on the other hand, wants it's audience to believe that the nonsense it talks about each week REALLY HAPPENED).

T-R- and darklordoftech like this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

He did? Damn I need to see this movie again! :D

D'an likes this.
  8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think you're wrong. Campbell called Lucas his greatest student (based on the OT). And there's enough of Lucas in TFA to suggest that Campbell would find Abrams and Kasdan to be good students as well.

9. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015

I think this is exactly where they are going. Did you see the Entertainment Weekly issue on TFA? They had a map of the galaxy showing where Starkiller base is; nearby is the Unknown Regions with the Rakatan homeworld, Onderon, Morribund {Korriban}, Nal Hutta and Nar Shaddaa. The current comics for Star Wars and Darth Vader have holocrons in them. Starkiller base was a nod to the Death Star and the Sun Crusher from the Jedi Search novel. Books focusing on the first Jedi and Sith were being worked on before the sale of Lucasfilm et al.

10. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    I heard we would be seeing skellig michael in ep8. So im sure we will learn more about the temple then. However I believe Rey will not start the movie there because in ESB and ROTJ, Luke goes to Dagobah in the 2nd act. So keeping with the SW theme, Rey will most likely return to Luke at the Jedi temple after an action sewuence in act 1.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

No. I'm tired of fighting this and now I have to wait another two years. Luke would have kept the helmet and possibly other remains of his father:

a) Yeah, Vader was evil. But he was redeemed. Why go to the trouble of dragging his body up the ramp of a shuttle and give him a proper Jedi funeral just to leave what's left to the mercy of the elements.

b) Burden of proof. A story is one thing. Physical evidence is hard to ignore.

c) Remove all evidence of the funeral. Keep it secret; do not allow it to become a shrine.

In the chaos of the academy raid the helmet was most likely stolen by Kylo Ren, Maz recovered the lightsaber, Rey was mercifully spared, and Lor San Tekka got the map.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    doing some more thinking on this, how much of what she saw was her own memories and how much was the lightsabers? It's still "attuned" if you will to Luke, because the Force, and is able to transfer his experiences to Rey,

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Very intriguing first Jedi temple. Makes for a great inspiration for a backstory spin off saga.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    As an anglophile, Skellig's presence made me do a mental happy dance! What I'm wondering is how much time will pass between The Force Awakens and Episode 8? I can't quite see them picking up exactly where they left, but MAN! What happened after!? That interaction's almost too epic NOT to show. To me, the great thing is I can't imagine what will happen next! With Rian Johnson directing, I hope we get into some uncharted territory and get more wisdom and insight into the Force. (JJ played it just a little too safe for me.)

Ryan Hunt likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't see Luke holding onto Darth Vader's helmet, thats something Kylo would go search for and retrieve.

7starlight likes this.
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Why would Luke be so possessive of the burnt remains of his father's armor? That he put it in a pyre suggests that he wanted to symbolically destroy his father's mortal remains, so to speak. After that, the forests of Endor can reclaim it, let him be one with the Force, and so on.

ProfessorNutbudder likes this.
  17. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Despite being a huge fan of the EU Old Republic, I was always prepared for the filmmakers to go a different direction with it.

The ancient past of the Star Wars universe has always intrigued me since I first caught a glimpse of Tales of the Jedi in the mid-90s. Even though these movies are going to explore an entirely different thing, I'm just excited they're going there at all.

I love that the Star Wars universe finally feels mysterious again.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I made this fan poster a couple of years ago just after they said they were doing an EP 7. At the time I was like..YES, Luke searches for the original jedi Temple..and it's all in ruin and kinda look eerily similar to the half completed death star.

Glad to see a 'First Jedi Temple' was in the movie in some way.

[​IMG]

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Campbell did better than that, but you a have to know a lot about the man to grasp the significance of it: when he saw the trilogy, he proclaimed Lucas to be an artist working with mythological themes on a level equal to that of James Joyce and Thomas Mann. Joyce and Mann were Campbell's GODS. He gave countless lectures about both writers. The book that established Campbell's reputation was an analysis of Joyce's novel Finnegans Wake. He LOVED Joyce and Mann; his wife Jean Erdman liked to joke that she regarded Joyce's novel Ulysses as the other woman in their marriage! And he put Lucas on a pedestal even in height to THAT.

20. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Honestly I hate it when they over explain things that don't need to be explained. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. Little mysteries like this add to the mystique. My theory about Vaders helmet is that Luke had it and Kylo stole it after the massacre

D'an likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you. The Old Republic era was so intriguing in the days of Tales of the Jedi and the TPM novelization, and then the EU ruined it with retcons and SWTOR. It's good to once more see a mysterious and true-to-Lucas take on it.

JLG and ShaneP like this.
  22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Luke takes the saber gently from Rey's hands. Tears welled in Rey's eyes and streamed down her cheeks. The music swelled to a crescendo. Luke takes the saber, turns around, and throws it into the ocean.

Record scratch...

Luke: Go home girl. I'm done with that life. You're on your own.

Luke walks away. Rey follows him.

23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Actually. I could very much imagine him saying that very thing. "Go home." Either he's not in the right frame of mind or he's testing Rey to see if she's really ready.

It's like the scene in Kill Bill. The master doesn't just train anyone. The student has to earn it. (Just as Snoke is waiting until Kylo has proved his devotion.

From Luke's perspective, he might know its Rey. But what if, Rey was conceived by a darksider. What if the Awakening might be a bad thing. He has to know she's a good person.

ShaneP likes this.
  24. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

Uh, Skellig is off the coast of Ireland, not England. ;)

As far as the first Jedi Temple goes, in the old, now defunct canon, the Jedi were basically formed by people around the galaxy being called to Tython, different cultures and species with different concepts of the Force coming together to study the mystery, having been taken to Tython by what amounts to Space Arks.

But the way of the Jedi is essentially a religion. Whatever this world is, it may in fact be the home world of the Jedi, not just an outpost where the Jedi went to train and not somewhere the galaxy was called towards. The first Jedi may have been beings who came from this world (heck, maybe it's Yoda's planet :p) in the time before hyperspace travel. As the beings of this world began to explore the Force, others may have been frightened by the strange power and its practitioners may have chosen to or been forced to isolate themselves. In that isolation, their combined connection drew others to these islands and on one island in particular, a temple to the Force was built. This would have been before lightsabers, before space travel, before any kind of modern technology. As the centuries passed and the world progressed, so did these Jedi "monks" and their religion spread across the world. Then, when their world became part of a galactic community, they spread their religion across the galaxy.

25. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I know there has been discussion over the fact Luke might me standing over a grave, and whose grave it is or if its more so a memorial for Jedi's than a grave...

but I havent seen anyone suggest the big possibility that the grave might be REY'S? If she is in fact his daughter, it's entirely possible he can think she is dead since Luke was NOT the one to leave her on Jakku (as Maz says). Maybe he is mourning his daughter whom he thinks died during the Knights of Ren siege on Luke's Jedi Temple. Or some other reason we have figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.