main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The First Knight - Legacy Era - One Shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Robimus, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So this marks my return to Fanfic after a hiatus that, in my own estimation, was far too long. Having dropped some of my volunteering duties in other corners of the interwebz I have found myself with the time, and desire, to once again start delving into some writing.

I've been working on a larger piece these past few weeks, but in the midst of that, this little diddy popped into my head. Its short and sweet. I hope you enjoy it.

The First Knight

?When I first saw it, what was many years ago now, I couldn?t even believe it. It seemed almost perverse. The mere notion of a Jedi on Bastion overseeing the Empire?s every move, looking over Fel?s shoulder and whispering to his conscience, I admit I found the thought disturbing.

After all how could we trust this Jedi? She already had the blood of one Imperial Head of State on her hands, the very father of our nation no less. How could that action be forgiven with the wave of a hand and the wink of an eye?

I guess the path had been set since it was deemed necessary to allow Luke Skywalker to dictate Imperial policy. Perhaps it was fate or perhaps it was the will of the Force, who am I to say? Some would tell me that the two are mutually exclusive, maybe they are right.

Who better to choose the heir of the Empire than the son of Darth Vader? Who indeed?

One could not deny that times were changing. The Empire I knew was threatening to be swallowed by corruption. The ambitions of men who could not see past their own desire for power weakened us more than any war. A cohesive Imperial state, that would make the galaxy stand up and take notice once more, had never seemed further away..

Pellaeon was close to that once. Loyalty, honor, patriotism, these were ideals he worked to instill in a nation and its people. Perhaps he even succeeded only to find himself crushed under the unexpected weight of that very success.

Moff, a four letter word, the irony of that small bit of humor is never lost to me.

It was tasked to these men and women to rule the Empire. Sad it is that so many of them are not equal to the task. Yet without them, and their direct control of their territories, there would be no nation to preserve. It is a dilemma not lost on those of us who have dedicated our lives to maintaining our way of life.

I wish I could say that I had all the answers, but most the time I have difficulty even coming up with the right questions.

It was hard after the Yuuzhan Vong War, but the Empire endured. We overcame massive adversity, stretched our borders and grew stronger and stronger until we once again were relevant on a galactic scale. It was glorious to be part of that renaissance.

Now that I wander the halls of the Imperial Palace on Bastion, looking upon the faces of these growing numbers of young Jedi?

No, not Jedi. These are Imperial Knights I see, hopefully the first class of many yet to come. They are not loyal to the Force in the same sense that the Jedi are. For these brave men and women the Empire, and our Emperor, comes first.

I suspect many of them look towards me as some sort of fossil, some strange women who is as out of place here as that first Jedi who came to Bastion to serve the Empire. I never had their opportunities, I never had their training and really I probably even lacked many of their own innate skills in the Force. At this point I?ll never know.

And yet I look at these young men and women and wonder if they recognize who I am? Do they realize that I, minus titles and ceremony, was the first of their kind?

Even though I didn?t know it at the time, and had not the vaguest notion of what was to come, I do realize it now. I was the first Imperial Knight.?

-From the private holo memoirs of Miat Temm, archived in the Imperial Library on Borosk.

2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    First. [face_dancing] Yay!:D

Anyway, this looks interesting. A different POV of the founding of the Fel Empire, i believe.

3. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011

Very well written, I like the idea that Paellons [liason :confused: [face_thinking] ] officer is to be placed as the first Imperial Knight. The description between differences of Imperial knight and Jedi was also analyized very well.

Moff, a four letter word, the irony of that small bit of humor is never lost to me[face_laugh]

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very well written story. Good job.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very true to their time and ours =D= =D=

Often, those who are tasked to rule have a lack of skills or compassionate vision [face_thinking]

The Empire may run on different tenets than the Old Republic - but when the Jedi lost their neutrality, if they ever had it :p - they lost much of their usefulness and credibility.

They had to cater to the Senate and the Chancellor, who eventually wound up being Palpatine. :rolleyes:

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    What a nice surprise. [:D] Very glad to see you back. Frankly, I've missed your stories. :)

I had to look up Miat Temm, though. The name didn't ring a bell at all. But now that I know that she was Pelly's aide, it makes this story so much better.
    I like the idea of having an "average aide" be the first of something so huge.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the boards. ;)

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thanks. You will find me often playing in this corner of the galaxy and timeline. I've wondered for a while what Miat Temm would think of the Imperial Knights.

It does seem to work out that way. Really most Imperial Moffs seem to fall short.

Thank you :)

Well, my thought is that she feels she was the first Imperial Knight. I think history will likely say otherwise. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

And I'm very glad to be back. I've been wondering what Liz has been up to of late. :p I feel like I'm very behind.

Yes, Miat Temm is one of the most underused characters introduced in the NJO. It was just mean of the authors to tease us with a Force strong Imperial only to never use her again. :p

I'll see you again soon. :)