main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Order in Episodes 8 and 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 4, 2016.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    We shall see.

And to be clear, I do think your analysis has merit, and it does lead to a film (TFA) that feels more like an action film than ANH does. I simply think that TFA is an action-oriented drama, and not a straight action movie.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Part of my problem with that is, I don't really know if I want to see them off on their own for almost the entire film. That'd be a waste. I want to see them interacting with the other heroes, not pulling an ESB.

3. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

I don't want them to be isolated either. That's why I say they do some tripping Force shenanigans and then get visited by FO people that forces them back into it, but still pretty early on. Then they can be on the island still (since they'll be filming there for so long) but interact with other characters. Something tells me Leia would haul across the galaxy if she heard or felt that Luke and Rey were in danger.

4. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    I do like the alternative scenario of Luke and Rey in the depths of the original Temple, deeply lost in the mystery and mysticism of ancient forgotten techniques, conjuring visions of things never before scene, when abruptly the sky is swarming with TIE fighters ripping scars across the island landscape. Chewie, along with R2 take to the skies in order to distract and hopefully battle the onslaught. Rey and Luke are brought quickly back the reality of imminent threat to all they were preparing for and thier lives, and rush outside. R2 spots them, and Chewie brings rhe Falcon down to rescue them. Rey and Luke stand shoulder to shoulder, arms outstretch, and together use the Force on individual TIE fighter pilots minds, to disrupt their coordination. TIE fighters are flown into one another or into the ground. They can only take on one at a time, but their minimal effectiveness against such a large number still gives them time to escape on the Falcon, which makes another in atmosphere hyperspace jump, this time almost blindly using only the coordinates last entered in the computer.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    There are other films besides ESB where character storylines run parallel without touching for the entire film. :) If we're going to insist that basic narrative structures are rehashes of past Star Wars films, then we'll never be satisfied with any Star Wars film.

And again, I'm thinking Rey and Luke in Ahch-to for Act 1, mostly. And perhaps the beginning-middle of Act 2. That still leaves at least half of the film for Rey and/or Luke to interact with the others.

6. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Yeah I agree with that. Chloe Bruce was in Dubrovnik so Rey doesn't stay on that island (and also Luke) for too long.

7. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    just going back to the FO ... I like to think that after FN-2187's act of high treason, all of the troops associated with him (if not the entire contingon) were "reconditioned" / brainwashed - as a precaution. The idea of a rebellion arising from the actions of one rogue stormtrooper would not be taken likely by General Hux (or his dad) imho..

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    1 out of many thousands isn't that much.

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I AM FINN!

(obscure Spartacus reference coming up)

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wonder if other remnants of the empire groups might be seen in episodes 8 and 9. Because it would be cool to see other factions.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I have a feeling...something's going to come out of the ocean on Ahch-to.

12. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013

Shouldn't the FO be able to rebuild their army and naval fleet of warships and starfighters with the help from other alien civilizations in the Unknown Regions? That would be awesome to see in Episodes 8 and 9 or future SW novels set between ROTJ & TFA.

13. Chiaroscuro Side

Chiaroscuro Side Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so looked at thread directory and decided to post here.

I've been occasionally reading speculation that suggests that the Snoke is a last, twisted relic of the First Jedi Order. This would imply that he named his forces the First Order around his plan of restoration. His opposition to Luke and need to control Ben could arise out a need to put the destiny of the Force in the hands of a first jedi order relic. Thus the need to prevent the rise of a new Jedi order.

I find this kind of storyline evocative, and has many directions it could take from this point. For example, the theme of this trilogy could be that each Jedi order must relinquish its control to the next.

The primary conflict could then be a struggle against the First Order; but also for Luke, a realization that he too must relinquish his own power or become himself a Snoke like figure.

So the conflict could really be Jedi v Jedi here. With the last Jedi left standing holding the destiny of the Force. Luke would have a tall task in front of himself; to win out over Smoke, redeem Ben, and himself relinquish to Rey.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Darth Smurf like this.
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Interesting POV. First Order - First Jedi Order
    -> New Jedi...