main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Order-Resistance Conflict

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Aug 10, 2017.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's discuss the war for control of galaxy known as (until it receives an official title) the First Order-Resistance Conflict, the factions and characters involved and how it will play out over the course of this trilogy.

FACTIONS:

[​IMG]
    The New Republic

Brief: The New Republic is the legitimate government of a significant portion of the galaxy. Founded by the Alliance to Restore the Republic after its defeat of the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War its principals are inherited from the Republic of old that fell during the conflict known as the Clone Wars. Freedom, democracy and justice for all citizens of the galaxy!

Leaders: Chancellor Lanever Villecham (deceased)

Capital/base of operations: Rotating, currently Hosnian Prime (destoyed in Starkiller Base attack)

--------------------

The First Order

Brief: Formed from the remnants of the once all powerful Galactic Empire that escaped the climactic Battle of Jakku and fled into the Unknown Regions the First Order aims to replace the New Republic as the dominant government of galaxy. Believing that the galaxy has been plunged into chaos following the Galactic Concordance which saw the end of the old Empire its leaders believe only they can bring order and stability back to the galaxy.

Leaders: Supreme Leader Snoke, Kylo Ren, General Hux

Capital/base of operations: Starkiller Base (destroyed during the Battle of Starkiller Base), Snoke's Mega Star Destroyer

--------------------

[​IMG]
    The Resistance

Brief: A ragtag militia formed by General Leia Organa to combat the growing threat of the First Order after Republic leadership refuses to take them seriously. Comprised of veterans of the Rebel cause and new blood with a calling to fight for freedom the Resistance is all that stands in the way of tyranny returning to the galaxy.

Leaders: General Leia Organa, Admiral Ackbar, Admiral Statura, Commander Poe Dameron

Capital/base of operations: D'Qar (discovered by the First Order), Crait (old Rebel Alliance base)

--------------------

MISSIONS:

[​IMG]
    Map on Jakku

Brief: Desperate to find her brother Luke Skywalker Leia sends Poe Dameron to Jakku to meet with an old acquaintance who might possess the clue needed to discover the lost Jedi's whereabouts.

Operatives: Poe Dameron, BB-8

Objective: To retrieve a map that leads to the location of the last known Jedi in the galaxy Luke Skywalker.

Outcome: Poe Dameron retrieves the map but must entrust it to the droid BB-8 as he is captured by the First Order who are also after the map.

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Finding the Master Codebreaker

Brief: Hoping to escape the First Order fleet by disabling their hyperspace tracker, Poe Dameron sends Finn and the Resistance mechanic Rose Tico to the lavish city of Canto Bight on the desert planet of Cantonica to locate the one man capable of getting them past First Order security, the Master Codebreaker.

Operatives: Finn, Rose Tico, BB-8

Objective: Locate the Master Codebreaker.

Outcome: Finn and Rose are arrested by Canto Bight police and thrown in jail where they meet the mysterious DJ who promises them that he can get them aboard Snoke's Mega Star Destroyer, the Supremacy.

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Infiltrating the Supremacy

Brief: Having snuck aboard the Supremacy, Finn, Rose, DJ and BB-8 masquerade as First Order officers and make their way to the breaker room in order to shut down the hyperspace tracker that threatens to be the undoing of the Resistance fleet.

Operatives: Finn, Rose, DJ, BB-8

Objective: Locate the breaker room and shut it down to disable the tracker.

Outcome: The group are recognized as intruders by the First Order droid BB-9E and captured by Captain Phasma. Betrayed by DJ, they're sentenced to death but ultimately escape due to the destruction of the Supremacy.

--------------------

ATTACKS/BATTLES:

[​IMG]
    Destruction of Hosnian Prime

Brief: Having failed to retrieve the droid BB-8 on Jakku the First Order unveils its secret super weapon Starkiller Base by destroying the Hosnian System home of the New Republic Senate.

Combatants: The First Order

Outcome: The total destruction of the Hosnian System, New Republic leadership and an unknown portion of the New Republic fleet.

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Battle of Takodana

Brief: The first major skirmish between the Resistance and the First Order the battle begins when the First Order is alerted to the presence of the droid BB-8 on the planet Takodana. The droid is in possession of a map that leads to the location of the last Jedi Luke Skywalker but as they attempt to retrieve the droid Resistance X-Wings arrive having been alerted themselves.

Combatants: Poe Dameron, Han Solo (deceased), Finn, Rey, Chewbacca, Kylo Ren

Outcome: First Order retreat, kidnapping of Rey.

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Battle of Starkiller Base

Brief: After learning that their base on D'Qar is the next target for the destructive power of Starkiller Base the Resistance launches an attack against the oscillator a key weakness in the base. On the ground Han Solo, Finn and Chewbacca lead a desperate mission to deactivate the shields surrounding the planet and rescue the captive Rey.

Combatants: Poe Dameron, Han Solo (deceased), Finn, Chewbacca, Rey, Kylo Ren, General Hux

Outcome: Resistance victory, destruction of Starkiller Base, death of Han Solo

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Battle of D'Qar

Brief: ?

Combatants: ?

Outcome: ?

--------------------

[​IMG]
    Battle of Crait

Brief: ?

Combatants: ?

Outcome: ?

--------------------

My intention is to update this OP as more information becomes available but for now it's an overview of the progression of the war and the main players. So in this thread we can speculate about anything from the outcome of individual battles, to strategy, the ultimate victor of the war, etc. Anything and everything about the conflict depicted in the ST!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    does anyone know where crait is in relation to d'qar? i can't tell which maps are legit and somehow doubt crait is on the maps anyway?

3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think they've updated the galactic map yet to include TLJ planets so it's anyone's guess. That said MSW has talked about the Resistance being chased across the galaxy by the First Order after the evacuation of D'Qar so I imagine it's pretty far.

oncafar likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I kinda wish they'd name this. "First Order-Resistance Conflict" doesn't roll off the tongue or stick in your memory quite as well as the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War.

5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Too bad Yoda isn't here to come up with a name.

Jo Lucas, vncredleader and EHT like this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I agree! They could call it the Infinity War..
    lol?

:oops:

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The War of Resistance

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The FORC

Ben-Solo, Revanfan1, KamNale and 3 others like this.
  9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That name makes me want to stick a FORC in a light socket.

Avnar and 11-4D like this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    First Order-Resistance Conflict Engagement

Revanfan1, Avnar, cerealbox and 4 others like this.
  11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    first order-resistance conflict extravaganza

vncredleader likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The War of the Five Generals

Gobi-1 likes this.
  13. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    The Battle Beyond the Stars

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I kinda like the Second Galactic Civil War.

So anyway the EW article says the Resistance is cut off from the Republic so at the very least it seems the New Republic isn't completely dead yet. I expect they'll make a big entrance in Episode IX. Perhaps in a situation similar to Rogue One the Republic leaders after having their capital destroyed and the Resistance on the verge of defeat after TLJ are considering surrendering to the First Order. You could even explain Leia's absence by saying she's off trying to convince them not to and then just as the battle is looking lost for the Resistance have the New Republic fleet arrive to turn the tide. And in a perfect world have them commanded by Admiral Lando Calrissian! :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Landi doesn't really seem like the Admiral type...

But Admiral Wedge Antilles....

vncredleader likes this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I could see something along the lines of most of that, except for this part. I can't see the Resistance considering surrender to the First Order unless their whole makeup and attitude changes a lot during the course of TLJ (which would be disappointing, but I don't expect it anyway).

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You called? :D

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You both have a piece of it, but what is actually going to happen is Lando Calrissian will lead a coalition of smugglers and independent worlds like Ryloth into an Alliance with General Antilles and the remains of the Republic Fleet. Lando's people provide intel, sabotage, and the smuggling of raw material General Antilles forces need to repair and re-arm, while at the same time bolstering the Resistance's forces. This New Alliance is setting a trap for the First Orders forces, specifically Snoke, looking to capture or kill him, knowing the loss of their Supreme Leader will be a serious blow to the FO and show the galaxy that their is hope, and a chance to defeat the FO.

11-4D and vncredleader like this.
  19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I still like the idea of Lando being the Resistance's secret money man, dealing and conning his way accress the galaxy to fund the Resistance, but I would not be disappointed with Lando leading a fleet of low-life scum to come to the aid of his friends.

11-4D likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I worded that poorly. I meant the New Republic is considering surrendering because the Resistance is on the verge of defeat after TLJ.

EHT likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, OK, that does seem more likely.

22. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I think the "set-up" in TFA of the Three factions of the GFFA is one of the areas that require a lot of head-scratching to understand for the casual movie goer.

The FO replaces the Rebel Alliance of the OT as they are the "rogue" band of rebel fighters crusading against the "op-pressingly good" New Republic.

The New Republic replaced the Evil Galactic Empire of the OT as they are the de-facto government that rules in the GFFA.

So then what is the Resistance?, who do they represent?, what are they fighting for and who are they fighting against?. And who do they Resist?

At a glance it would seem they are fighting against the FO to be the main opposition against the New Republic. But we never see the NR fight against the FO nor the Resistance.

Anyway, as the NR was completely destroyed in TFA. All you have is two warring bands (the FO and Resistance) both vying for power as the main force in the GFFA. But since neither the FO nor the Resistance control many systems it's a battle of equals. Neither has the upper hand and neither controls the Galaxy.

Who are the "common folk" supporting?,

I can understand what the FO is trying to do. I.E. Bring back the Imperial militarized control, and Snoke becomes the Second Galactic Emperor.

But what is the Resistance goal?,

Would be interesting to see who takes control first of the systems.

But overall this is the one area that is the most nonsensical of the ST, as there was no real setup and it's hard to understand the three way fight in TFA.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    "With the support of the Republic, General Leia Organa leads a brave Resistance." It's set up in the opening crawl that the Resistance is an organization being supported by the Republic to oppose the First Order. They aren't looking to replace the New Republic. They're defending it. Also Johnson indicated in the EW article that the Republic is not completely wiped out but the Resistance is cut off from them throughout TLJ.

24. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    It seems like JJ just wanted an opposing side story.
    I would like if book writers on the new trilogy can pad something out.

25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Read the opening crawl of TFA, and all your questions shall be answered.