main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Order-Resistance Conflict

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Aug 10, 2017.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I imagine in IX, there'll be enough time where both sides have recovered from their losses.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, you'd be right. Sorry, I totally misread the last part of that post.

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It's dramatically pleasing to me right now post-TLJ because:

This is the lowest the resistance or rebellion has ever been. Like 40 people total.

The Rebellion always had hundreds upon hundreds of people, at the minimum, trying to remove the Empire from power.

The Resistance was purely made up of people Leia got. This sets up Leia as the lynchpin of the good guys in the sequel trilogy. Bigging up her importance.

Even the Rebellion in the OT never had 1 person as the figurehead. It was made of many people, Mon Mothma, Bail, and others.

I know when Episode IX resumes, there will have been a time skip where their numbers are now bolstered.

But I look forward to stories, novels, etc. telling how these 40 people managed to keep surviving, gain allies, and recruit members during that time.

Right now the Resistance/new Rebellion consists of 3 galactic civil war veterans: Leia, Ematt, and Nien Nunb. Thirty-five relatively younger members without armaments and an armada. With just the clothes on their backs. One ship. One Jedi-in-training, with a broken lightsaber. And ancient texts. A few droids at most.

Ten at most, other members scattered around like Snap, Pava, Statura.

Oh, and one veteran of the galactic civil war PLUS the clone wars: Chewbacca.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Agreed. I'm expected a minimum of a three year time jump. If the time jump is that long or longer, I would love to see a TV series one day that fills in the gaps. Maybe even an animated one so the actors could come back to voice their characters.
    Kylo Ren needs to find an actual world as the headquarters for the First Order. I would love to see Vader's Castle on Mustafar, or the Imperial Place on Coruscant. Heck, just something new even. After the loss of the Supremacy and multiple First Order ships, I would like to see a new dreadnought serve as Kylo's flagship. A flagship bigger than the Executor, but smaller than the Supremacy.
    As for the Resistance, they need to find allies and militias around the galaxy. The New Republic was largely demilitarized and lost almost all its fleet and senators in TFA. I don't think the New Republic exists anymore.

5. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    I still don’t understand how most of the galaxy would so easily lay down their own militaries. If the New Republic wasn’t willing to arm itself, I am surprised that many other worlds didn’t see this as an incentive to create their own armies to defend themselves. I feel like the ST has largely shrunk the galaxy as opposed to making it much larger. I find it interesting that the First Order could show up on Jakku, the site of the Empire’s defeat and nobody seemed to bat an eye. They were already boldly encroaching on known space before using their super weapon. I could see many worlds deciding not to restore the Republic due to it failing in so many ways, but I don’t think those worlds would be so willing to have another empire cruelly rule over them.

6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    There is some backstory that many planets didn't rejoin the New Republic when the Empire was defeated. They decided to stay independent.

The backstory of Commander D'arcy, has her homeworld, as one of those planets.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, my perspective is the opposite, and that may just be because of the stuff I was used to reading before the Disney buy-out. Don't get me wrong, the 00's were dominated by the prequel and Clone Wars status quo. But considering how many products, books, games, and stories were always dipping back into the Empire = bigger and badder well, even in settings technically taking place after the OT, plus Disney's insistence on sticking to that setting for pretty much *all* it's material after the buy out, I'm kind of "Empired" out.

Though as I'll mention below with the others, I kind of regard TLJ's problem as being one of scale and time frame, instead of one of concept. To me, there's something too rite and cyclical about the portrayal in TLJ; at least one, if not both, of the sides should have evolved at a core level in terms of their MO, and the First Order takes a step back here to facilitate the plot, seeming more like a parody of the Empire than a sleeker successor state like it was in TFA
    Thanks, and I by and large agree (though I've got a soft spot for how the Clone Wars can be played as the morally ambiguous WWI to the GCW's WWII). I also think that we do better if the heroes are fighting uphill, and I like your point about how it may have worked better to have Holdo represent more regular NR Navy as both an expositional tool and for more context to her issues with briefing Reistance members. And again, to me, it's kind of more of a TLJ problem than a TFA problem; since I accept your supposition that we'll certainly see a beefier Resistance in IX, it feels like Johnson chose to portray a darkest hour, but didn't use possible consequences from TFA to highlight it or create a real hope spot (like a combined Resistance/Republic fleet of decent size being defeated in a head to head battle that would showcase the FO evolution from the Empire), and since he zeroed in on kind of remaking a lamer version for eh Falcon's pursuit, we got a fairly boring and badly scripted war story.

You've actually pointed out an intriguing oppurtunity between the film's that they could actually use. My fear is that Disney will be so careful about stepping on JJ's toes that such a series won't happen until IX is done, which will still make it seem like a bunch of people and resources suddenly emerged from nowhere.

I alos can't help but feel that this is again too little for the Galaxy that we've seen in previous entires. While this particular group could be whittled down so small, there *should* be some organized Resistance out there just as a reflex to Hosnian Prime; heck, even the Bloodlines based expat at ion about decentralized autonomous systems like @cerealbox mentioned would almost certainly have a violent reaction to an invading centralist power, since that would run antithetical to their entire independence.

And for a moment that feels like it's meant to be a darker reflection of ESB, it's portrayed as weirdly light hearted; yes, they survived, but literally only about 10% of them. There probably should be a lot more heartache, fear, and sobbing in the Falcon...

Random Ax of Kindness likes this.
  8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wasn't there some peace treaty with what remained of the Empire? If I had to guess, mutual disarmament was probably part of the treaty.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    There's like 15-20 people left in The Resistance aboard one ship with NO heavy weapons of equipment whatsoever. It's going to take more than a couple of years to even to begin to rebuild into an effective fighting force. And given that the FO still has overwhelming military and technology advantages, they'd have to be the biggest bunch of idiots in the Galaxy to let that happen.

But then again the ST is terrible when it comes to scale and timeline, so that's probably what will happen.

10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    @Thrawn082 Just you wait. There will be a 2-3 year time jump and there will suddenly be tons of Resistance, new ships, a base, a giant statue of General Leia (that speaks!). It will be like nothing ever happened!

Star war likes this.
  11. Jamarn Santill

Jamarn Santill Jedi Padawan

Jan 6, 2018
    In ancient times, military leaders would flee with a band of survivors, and manage to raise armies and forage (rob villagers of food) - Hazdrubal against Scipio Africans in the Second Punic War certainly escaped big losses, and raised armies before winter and was battle ready next season IIRC (approx). So raising armies/systems isn't really unbelievable.

I'm more concerned with the resolution - a non-burn everything down resolution. I want FO to be split between hardliners and moderates, ie people who admire early Empire with a Senate/Republic from history, I want Kylo to try to do his own way without Snoke's corruption, I want Finn to be a leader of a mutiny, I want legions of stormtroopers fighting each other like Roman legions did in struggles for power between leaders.

Most of all I want a resolution that is different to the OT, because that ended up with apologists and people digging TIE fighters and stormtrooper uniforms, becoming these Nazis. I want the Moderate FO leaders to join the Republic, on Coruscant, at the end, and see a glimpse of new hardware not rehashed by the OT, made up of both forces' hardware, war criminals brought to justice, Kylo atoned through big personal sacrifices for the Light side. How's that for subversive instead of "we blew 'em up again, for reals this time"

Lt. Hija, NexuLeader and oncafar like this.
  12. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree it wouldnt be believable at all.

20 people dont make a rebellion and cant defeat an organisation that has endless resources.

I dont know how they will show resistance winning without feeling like , hey good guys always win in the end.

powerfulforce and oncafar like this.
  13. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree it wouldnt be believable at all.

20 people dont make a rebellion and cant defeat an organisation that has endless resources.

I dont know how they will show resistance winning without feeling like , hey good guys always win in the end.

oncafar likes this.
  14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    30 people blew up the first Death Star.

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    That is true. In general defeating the Empire wasn't that hard. It didn't require that many people.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Finn will cause a Stormtrooper revolution right before Hux has finalized his preparations for a coup against Kylo.
    Finn and some stormtroopers will kill Hux and Rey will take care on Kylo.
    That's my prediction

scuiggefest likes this.
  17. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    It wouldn't be believable, nor would it tie in thematically very well with TLJ. Remember the arc words: "We are the spark that will light the fire..."

If the Resistance takes down the First Order, that would make them both the spark and the fire. I don't see that happening. The fire needs to be something far larger. A stormtrooper revolution would fit, but not just a stormtrooper revolution. A revolution that sweeps up everyone and everything.

18. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Because the knew it had been sabotaged and where to hit the Achilles Heel of that station. Do I now have to assume that every FO Star Destroyer comes with a design flaw waiting to be exploited to make that theory work?

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't think it's far-fetched that the ranks of the Resistance would swell following their escape from Crait. That's the whole message of the movie's ending. Luke's sacrifice has spread far and wide. Hope has been brought back and the spark has been ignited. And these are the people and their survival helped the galaxy know it (it's precisely why the FO wanted to annihilate them all). Do we really need to see broom boy pick up a weapon and announce to the camera that he's going to join the fight?

The Resistance in Episode 9 isn't going to be the Resistance of TLJ... how many there used to be has no relevance at all.

20. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I don't understand why 'hope' had to be 'sparked' anyway. It was literally only a few days ago that The First Order was a distant faction before blowing up the Hosnian System. It's not as if the Galaxy has been under their boot for years while The First Order did whatever they wanted.

If the people of the galaxy are that apathetic that they lose all hope because of one attack, rather than it galvanising them to take real action, then why should viewers care?

Surely the threat to people's families and way of life is the spark that would propel them in to action. The French resistance didn't need a mythical sacrifice to motivate them to fight against the occupying Nazi forces. The British didn't stop fighting WW2 because their cities were being blitzed while continental Europe was being conquered. Even if a major strike took out the government and the majority of the military, are we to believe that all local militias, law enforcement and military veterans wouldn't start to coordinate, recommission mothballed military equipment and naturally oppose the aggressors?

TLJ gives me the impression that people in the GFFA would prefer The First Order governing the galaxy than rallying behind a small bunch of misguided idealists.

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Starkiller weapon was the FO's detterent for ruling. And the galaxy's civilians saw them put it to use on Hosnian Prime.

Rather than fall as victims, they choose to submit to the FO. Unaware there's still a military force out there, that could even stand up to them.

It's probably still chaotic enough where most planets don't know that Starkiller base was destroyed.

So everyone giving in to fear of the FO's wrath, makes sense.

22. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The rebels never "defeated" the Empire though. The Rebellion was never about that. The Empire wasn't some extragalactic force that came in and destroyed the Republic. It WAS the Republic. The Rebels plan and the Empire's response to it was laid out in the original film. They could never defeat the military might of the Empire but maybe they could show the galaxy that it didn't have to live in fear of the regime and accept it. The victory at Endor and the death of the Emperor wasn't meant to be a final defeat of the Empire, it was to inspire the galaxy to rise up. Thus the Empire wasn't defeated, it was transformed back into a Republic.

The whole point of the Death Star was to create an atmosphere of fear. For 19 years, even as the Emperor ruled, he still had to deal with the Senate. He still had to placate them to an extent while gradually consolidating power in order to avoid a galactic uprising. The dissolution of the Senate, giving power to the governors, could only happen once the Death Star was complete because the Death Star was meant to cause so much fear that nobody would ever dare oppose the Emperor again. He would no longer have to deal with the Senate or pesky Rebels because nobody would want to risk entire worlds being destroyed. Tarkin said as much to Leia when she basically told him that the more the Empire seized control, the more worlds would resist.

I think that's why Lucas put the galactic celebrations in for the special edition of ROTJ. It was to show the galaxy rising up because of the Rebels victory at Endor, thus causing the Empire to collapse, paving the way for the Senate to be recalled and the Republic to be restored.

That's why this whole First Order business and the war against the Resistance makes no sense. It isn't the First Order that would have gained the resources of the collapsed Empire, those resources would have gone to the restored Republic. Even if a few Imperial Star Destroyer captains refused to accept the transformation of the Empire back to the Republic and disappeared into the Unknown Regions, the likes of Leia, Mothma and Ackbar would never have simply let them go, never would have allowed them to build up another force and never would have never would have allowed them to gain a foothold. They certainly wouldn't have signed a peace treaty that allowed the First Order to run rampant across the Outer RIm.

This idea that the Republic, with a galaxy full of resources would let the First Order grow, kidnap children and attack worlds with impunity is ridiculous, as is the idea that they would secretly fund a Resistance to fight the First Order. They wouldn't need to fund anything. They have the resources to dismantle the First Order themselves. The whole thing was just a contrived mess that Abrams and Kasdan came up with because they wanted to repeat the Empire vs Rebels conflict and left it to novels and comics to try to explain this nonsense, which itself is ridiculous. You don't need the side material to explain anything about the other films. You can watch 1-6 without ever reading any of the novels and get everything you need, whereas Episode VII, instead of logically following on from the previous movie the way the others did, was instead a sequel to a movie we never got to see, a movie where the hopeful future promised in ROTJ was destroyed offscreen (until the character assassination of Luke Skywalker in TLJ).

Even if you allow for the existence of the First Order and the events of TFA, apparently the entire Republic fleet, which the First Order was afraid to battle directly, was at Hosnian Prime? Give me a break. TFA implied that the First Order didn't have a huge fleet, otherwise, they wouldn't have had so much trouble fighting the Resistance. All their hopes lay with Starkiller Base which destroyed Hosnian Prime and with it, the entire Republic fleet which was apparently parked in orbit instead of...you know...patrolling the galaxy, stopping attacks by the evil First Order. But it turns out that the First Order does have a fleet it can use to conquer the galaxy, even though it couldn't handle the Resistance up to a few days earlier. So there's no Republic fleet, the First Order is suddenly as big as the Empire, the Resistance is tiny and no worlds have planetary defence forces.

The whole thing is a convoluted, contrived, nonsensical mess, originating from people who had no knowledge about Star Wars beyond seeing the original films as kids and wanting to rehash them, undermining ROTJ in the process and followed up by a guy who decided to throw out whatever world-building the previous guys did and to destroy the legacy and arc of the saga's greatest hero.

All of this could have been avoided if the characters and the galaxy progressed logically from where ROTJ left off and if the writers had made Episode VII a new Episode I with the introduction of a genuinely new threat that threatened to undermine 30 years of hard earned peace instead of rehashing an old threat that rose to prominence between trilogies. It also could have been avoided if Kennedy had insisted on there being an arc for the directors to follow across the trilogy rather than giving each one license to do whatever they felt like. Of course there was one but then she and Abrams conspired to stab Lucas in the back, which, while cruel, might have worked out if there was an idea in place that was better than whatever he'd come up with. Turns out there was no idea at all.

Rant over.

23. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Sure, makes sense.

But it doesn't make sense then that most planets don't know a massive WMD base was destroyed, yet news of a Jedi doing a Force trick in the middle of nowhere spreads through the galaxy like wildfire.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Unless they change that premise and take some inspiration from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, i.e. have the Resistance survivors reassemble with the help of New Republic patrol ships not in orbit, I don't think the next movie can work.

Didn't Gareth Edwards (Rogue One) say something like Star Wars is 90% based or inspired by our history?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  25. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Kay... We don't know either of those things. We don't know if news of SKB being destroyed has or has not spread throughout the galaxy (because we don't care), and we don't know how long it's been since the showdown on Crait that news of Luke has spread far enough to reach the kids on Canto Bight. Because that isn't the reason that scene exists. No one cares about the 'logistics of news traveing throughout the galaxy.' All that matters is that the legend of Luke's heroics has spread to the galaxy's youth, particularly the opressed youth, to inspire hope and the drive to become legend themselves.