main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The First Order-Resistance Conflict

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Aug 10, 2017.

1. Mandalore the Ascendent

Mandalore the Ascendent Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2017
    One thing I realised. The NR demobilised 90 percent of its military. So these trained and experienced personnel would have returned to civilian life. This means 90 percent of the New Republic army/fleet was not at Hosnian Prime. So really the Alliance has a huge amount of reserves it can call on.

That's not even considering former rebel alliance members.

Whereas the FO is dependent on brainwashed child soldiers who take a lifetime to condition.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  3. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Really liking the analysis of the First Order's assault on the known galaxy being totally unsustainable. Kind of like Germany's assault into the Soviet Union. Their initial losses to their veteran officer and NCO corps were so great you can argue that they never recovered from that, even by October, 1941 they had suffered grievous and irreplaceable losses.

In the end, the First Order will be as dominant as the screenwriters want it to be. But Episode IX being an invasion of the Republic where it calls up reservists and begins to wear down and obliterate the First Order would be a fantastic thing to see. Imagine the citizens of the galaxy saying "enough is enough," and stamping them out for good.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    whostheBossk and Martoto77 like this.
  4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Him Who Shall Not be Named should be made aware of this quote by an actually good GOP President.

From the Lit Forum the Republic isn’t entirely dead and the remnants of the Republic fleet incorporated into the PDFs. Well, Planetary Defense Forces. Or was that PSF—Security? So, I expect the FO conquers a good portion and cowers into submission another good portion of the Republic. Ans maybe the FO Lefions are lead by KoR.

And did all seceding Centrist worlds wittingly and/or unwittingly join the FO, or did some form another government? Nor to mention there are other governments, such as a reconstituted Separatist Confederation. But that may be too complicated for thr general movie audience.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread now covers both TFA and TLJ.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe everyone except Leia, Poe, Finn, Rey and Rose quit on the Resistance because of the devastating defeat they suffered in TLJ and the lack of support from the rest of the galaxy. No spark. Just fold up the chairs and go home.

I would. If I was one of the people left on the Falcon, I would quit. Game over, man. Game over.

Maybe there's no spark because the Resistance is actually made up of jackasses like Poe, and people like Rose who taze former child slaves. Maybe people know the Resistance and don't like them.

Or maybe that's just me.

No, but seriously I've been looking for a purely Resistance (or FO) thread so that we could talk about them and who/what they are. This thread looks close enough.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ordinary people: "My god, the whole Republic was just wiped out in literally one shot. What are we going to do now?"

The Resistance: "We got a girl who can move rocks over here!"

8. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    The "conflict" was resolved.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    That made my day! Thanks!

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think it would be great if the FO and the Resistance wipe each other out and everyone involved dies with them, ridding the galaxy of them. I would like to see the Resistance fail if the alternative wasn't so bad, so at this point rooting for the Resistance is like voting for Hillary because she's Not Trump. I'm rooting for Not The First Order. But, really, I'm rooting for the double KO. No wonder the Resistance had such low voter turnout, I mean responses to calls for assistance, they're bad people and uninspiring.

Poe's "spark" line is one of the phoniest, most unbelievable rally calls I've ever heard in a movie. I don't believe you, Poe. You're not the spark, you're a bunch of loser idiots. I was waiting for him to ask his fellow Resistance members to "please clap".

ezekiel22x likes this.
  11. CaptainCrunch2007

CaptainCrunch2007 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2007
    I honestly think that both the First Order, republic and the Resistance are pretty much crippled. Even if there are other republic ships or fleets out there, its likely that their best ships and units and personal were in orbit around the capital. The resistance didn't seem to be that big and centered around that one base. They probably had small pockets watching for the First Order out there, but clearly they weren't interested in resisting, or they'd been wiped out.

The First Order lost most of its main battle fleet, their floating capital and a dreadnought in one series of battles.

I tend to think that they'll be more chase scenes in the next movie, but the main focus will be around the in force conflict.

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^
    They kinda screwed up the Resistance vs FO conflict for me by having both Deus Ex Machina Total Fleet Annihilation and Offscreen Villain Dark Matter. It’s like, if you’re going to abuse common storytelling tropes, at least don’t have those two at the same time, in the same movie. It renders victory or defeat utterly hollow and meaningless.

I suppose victory in IX will be a matter of defeating Kylo and Hux, but those two never seemed like hard cases to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Shadao, 3sm1r and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The spark is clearly Rose's taser, you guys.

14. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    In The Force Awakens they did not seem all that large, more like a bunch of 'anti Rebels' striking reasonably small targets ( Jakku, Maz' Cantina ) and pull out immediatly

And I bought that to honest, I mean if the Rebels could do that when The Empire was in charge then I could see it happen vica versa

But in The Last Jedi it turned out they had a whole armada capable of conquering the galaxy in a matter of days.. how did The New Republic allow them to grow to such so large? Were they that passive as in 'we'll see what happens?'

15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
  16. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    nm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Try not to think about it... the ST could drive you mad trying to make sense of it all. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    DannyD and PendragonM like this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Well, if you go by TLJ crawl, it's not days but mere hours, possibly even minutes, seeing as though the films follow on immediately from each other. Straight after they lost a major piece of hardware, they took over the galaxy.

19. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    Yeah I do think TFA would have benefited from a second cliffhanger opposite to Luke's discovery. You know like all the Resistance are cheerful and happy because they think The First Order are in no position to form any plausible threat, and then.. BOOM! thousand ships come out of light-speed with Snoke's flagship at the helm.

I've kinda made up in my mind that the Starkiller base was meant to be a one-shot and done kind of thing to cripple the Republic and that after that functioned more like a distraction for the survivors while they prepared their invasion.

Snoke didn't seem all that upset about it's destruction which you think he would be, he was more concerned about getting Hux and Kylo out of there alive.

20. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I've not read any of the books/comics that are suggesting where the FO originated - do they say how they got so big? I think until after the last ST film is made we won't find out because the screenwriters don't have time to explain it and no-one will be allowed to write about it to give the screenwriters freedom to go where they need to! Catch-22.

So it's suspension of disbelief. It's a big galaxy (I guess), one in which the machinery of war can keep warmongering secret (see Canto Bight).

21. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    During the reign of the Empire, Palpatine scouted new hyperlane trails into the Unknown Regions of the galaxy far, far away. When the Empire fell, the survivors fled into these Unknown Regions erasing all records of them from the New Republic acquired databases and also taking with them the death star technology blue-prints. Through funneling funds from pro empire senators in the new Senate they colonized new planets unknown to the new republic and used their resources to create factories and bases and reforged the imperial war machine from the ashes of the empire. They were never as powerful or big as the new republic fleet which is where starkiller base comes in. They destroyed the entire fleet and capitol with one shot leaving Leia's resistance as the only primary enemy fleet and suddenly they are the biggest fleet in the galaxy.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  22. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Thanks. Yeah that starts to make sense. Thanks!

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, no. The only thing the crawl says is Snoke has unleashed his legions to take military control of the galaxy. It does not say that they already have control. This is then followed by Rey telling Luke that they'll have control of the major system in weeks. Major systems not the entire galaxy. Basically they've decapitated the New Republic government and are now blitzkrieging through their territory.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    A part from being "dark matter", does the FO really need to be so comically overpowerful?
    It is difficult to be invested in the story if I know that the good guys are so insignificant that only a bizarre chain of plot conveniences can make them succeed.
    And how can we define success by the way? As soon as any huge evil planet/ship is destroyed another one appears out of nowhere.