main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests The First RPF Drabble Extravaganza! CONCLUDED - Come Congratulate The Winners!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

Headmistress Mallett observed, cradling a young chick in her hands. The first day of term was always a chaotic occasion.

Tempus edax rerum, read the school motto. Some of the children had it branded across nanocarbon breastplates, others had it stitched into silken togas. Another projected the words as holographs above his helmet.

"Welcome all, to the International School for the Children of Time-Travellers!" boomed the Headmistress. "We'll get you chronologically comfortable in no time."

The chick suddenly shrunk in on itself, and an eggshell bloomed around it. The Headmistress smiled.

"And remember: boring things come to those who wait."

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Agent Mitch Nifesta ticked off balsa wood, paper, nailgun, on his pad. He needed to be sure about this. Re-writing history wasn't like dusting crops.

The door slid aside for the new Sith Lord.

Frightened younglings sprung from behind the metre-and-a-half high cake, that filled most of the Council Chamber, "Oh, Master Skywalker! What shall we do?"

Vader pulled up short.

"What in the Original Light is that doing here?"

A familiar hum preceded the fiery slash through the front of the artificial treat, and a lightsabre illuminated the Sith's face, but this time, it was not his own.

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Tomorrow is time that is always on the horizon.
    I remember the time of yesterday.
    My life, my future is within my grasp.
    Eternal life to those who seek it.

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    100 Words: Wing, Ramza

Winner: Winged_Jedi, because the idea of temporally displaced children is very amusing, compelling, and Hogwarts-esque in an odd sort of way. The universe it's set in is intriguing, too, whatever it is. But honourable mentions definitely go to Ramza for making me laugh, and to Livi for making me think.

[b]Scoreboard:[/b]
    Livi-Wan: 5
    Winged_Jedi: 5
    DarkLordoftheFins: 2
    Sith-I-5: 1
    Trieste: 1
    darthramza: 1
    s65horsey: 1

[hr]
    [b]And The Next Prompt Is:[/b]
    [blockquote]#17: Pick a card, any card.[/blockquote]

5. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    The Captain of the Enterprise stepped up to the table, his crew captive, ship in critical condition, the Romulans surrounding him on every side. Things were not looking up?or were they?

?My conquests come so easily,? the Romulan Commander said, ?Consequently they are?unsatisfying. No, I must defy a greater power to derive satisfaction from my victories. I believe that on the Enterprise you may be familiar with these??

The Romulan held up a deck, the very deck the crew used for five-card stud.

?It comes down to this: pick a card, Picard, any card,? the Romulan smiled.

OOC: The work of someone who has barely seen Star Trek shall undoubtedly be somewhat rough around the edges in terms of facts. ;)

6. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    "We're missing the football."

"I hate football." Dave said absently, staring at the row of brightly coloured pictures in front of him. "Which one do you think she'd like?"

"I don't know!" Steve said, exasperated. "She's your sister."

"Kittens?" Dave pulled it out an inch to regard the mournful, furry face, decided it creeped him out, and put it back again. "Perhaps not."

"Just pick a card, David!" Steve exploded.

"But which one?!" He waved his arm at the boggling array.

"Any one!"

Some days later, Dave's sister opened her birthday card.

"My condolences?"

The triumphant return of Dave and Steve!

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Some of you might have noticed that I try to vary the prompts a little from day to day - some are funny, some are merely verbs, some are Internet memes, some are quotes, and so on so forth. I've been trying to suss out what kinds of prompts work best, and I think we can safely conclude that the vaguer the better. That is, conventional wisdom is correct. :p

Anyway!

(The Return Of The) Commentary: Trieste's got a grin from me for that awful-but-awesome piece of alliteration. And don't worry - the sum total of my ST knowledge stems from the 2009 movie, so it looks fine to me! Livi's is a clever take on the prompt, with an ending that was pretty much inevitable. [face_laugh]

Winner: Trieste, for said awful-but-awesome piece of alliteration. "Pick a card, Picard, any card" ... :oops:

Livi-Wan: 5
    Trieste: 2

[hr]
    [blockquote]#18: Portal[/blockquote]

8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Here he stood, at perhaps?no, not perhaps?at the biggest moment of his life. The portal would open and then his destiny would lie bare before him. The anticipation was killing him?was it going to be everything he?d hoped and dreamed for?

?Son, are you ready??

?Yes,? he said.

?I mean are you really ready??

?Yes!?

?All right then. Open those doors!?

He caught his breath.

?It?s a brand new car!? Rod Roddy declared.

Jumping up and down, the contestant on The Price Is Right was so excited, he nearly killed Bob Barker with a hug.

[b]OOC:[/b] [i]TPIR[/i] ftw. :D

9. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    It was done. The ritual completed, the glowing runes on the floor far outshining the candles that lit the dark and dingy dungeon. Slowly, Acolyte Shadow stepped forward and placed a hand in the portal.

Instantly it opened into a world fantastic beyond his imagination. The colours were blinding- every shade of the rainbow dazzling under a bright golden sun. The inhabitants were weird creatures, like earth animals but as colourful as their surroundings, some horned, some winged.

"What is this?" Shadow's voice was a disbelieving rasp. The nearest animal, a bright pink thing, whipped its head around and beamed.

"New friends!!!" it squeaked.

10. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I couldn't resist. :D

"Ohhh force Mal, move over you're taking up too much... what the frack?"

Darth Helinith woke up in a cold, white room, slightly dank, dim and musty. The first thing she was aware of was some sort of joyful music, probably from a holo-player of some sort. She woke up, feeling a bit nauseous and knelt over the conveniently located loo. The room span around her giddily.

The second thing she was aware of was a female-like droid voice, coming from somewhere high up... she had no idea where.

"Hhello, and again welcome to the Aperture Science Computer-Aided Enrichment centre..."

11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    OOC: Livi, for some reason your entry makes me think of Toy Story 3. ;)

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Smokin' Aces deleted scene

Amid devastating gunfire from outside the hotel's eleventh floor, FBI agent Messner dodges falling comrades to finally reach the open, bullet-cracked lift car to attend his partner, slumped in the corner, shirt drenched in red.

Disarming the half-dead suspect, Messner kneels before Agent Carruthers, loosens his tie. "How bad?"

"Portal." Carruthers whispers.

Messner frowns, mis-hearing. "What?"

"Portal."

Distraught, Messner mis-hears 'Mortal' and smacks the faux-gold wall. "No-no-no." He calls for help anyway, "Get me a medic!"

Three brown arm-thick tentacles fall into view from the swirling light in the ceiling.

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    100 Words: helenith, Trieste

Commentary: Trieste, haven't seen a game-show-related anything for a while. That brought back memories! Livi, all I can say is, LOL. [face_laugh] Helenith, you win massive brownie points, the game was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote the prompt. :D Sithy, always good to see a tentacular invader... in a manner of speaking...

Winner: Livi-Wan. Poor Shadow. [face_laugh]

Livi-Wan: 6

[hr]
    [blockquote]#19: Sunrise[/blockquote]

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    They were racing the sunrise.

They did not know the ins and outs, but the call into 911 indicated that a vampire had been stranded, out in the open, without shelter.

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    This was perhaps the low point of his entire career as an NHL defenseman. The man who had menaced a thousand forwards with his very stare, reduced to this. He?d once given the league?s leading goal scorer a concussion by barely moving his elbow. He?d raised the Stanley Cup over his head. Norris Trophy? He had two of them.

And now he had been traded. His career would end ignominiously in Sunrise.

Sunrise, Florida, home Bank Atlantic Center?and the basement dwelling Florida Panthers.

For the first time in his life, he cried in abject self-pity.
    OOC: Not my best, but as I was thinking ?sunrise?sunrise?? I suddenly realized that I could allow my hockey mania to come through. ;)

16. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

Every morning, while the rest of the Sith skulked in darkness, a lone boy sat and watched Horuset rise.

He squinted as it burned through the sky, and twisted his fingers helplessly toward it. His brow was wet and furrowed.

Make the flames dance, was the instruction given to him. Make the light bow to your will.

"Once the sun obeys you," said his Master, "all things become insects."

Years later, Naga Sadow remembered, and smiled. He glanced out at the pursuing ships. With a gesture, he seized the nearby stars with the Force, and clapped them together like fireflies.

17. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Looking upon her he sighed with contentment as the sun began to set, the moon was on the rise, and never a night could he spend and keep her safe. So with a whispher he imparted his own joys at the simplicities and joys of life, instead of the present sorrow, "Part we do, apart we must be. Cry not sweat dove, for with the sunrise we shall meet anew."

"With one of us a bit less hairy?" was her quip.

"The moon is truly on the rise." he responded.

"... Now get' before the dam of sarcasm breaks." shoving him off into the night she stared as he vanished in the dark, "Til sunrise."

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    After deciding to take mental break, the woman excitedly clicked the link to the Resource forum. She had been having a rough week and was unable to participate in the game for several days.

Sunrise. Perfect. she thought to herself. This would fit well with her vampire obsession, ideas already forming about a vampire saving a woman in distress while being turned to ashes from the rising sun.

She clicked on the thread to skim the other entries to make sure her idea wasn't a repeat.

Blast! That kriffin' sithy! Now I don't get to write another sexy Angel drabble.

19. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002

Feet pounded helplessly on the pavement- one-two, one-two. Ragged, her breath tore out help me. A prayer to gods he never believed were watching. Behind him, the growling was gaining.

Suddenly, his eyes were filled with red and gold and blue.

"Be at peace, my brother." Wonder Woman smiled, and it was like the sunrise. "I will deal with this."

20. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yes, it's the Return Of The Late Drabble Update. This time I ... er ... fell asleep before posting the next challenge. [face_blush]

Anyway it looks like the extra time gave more people the chance to participate!

100 Words: sey, Wing

Commentary: I like to imagine Sithy's happens in the True Blood universe - fun series, by the way, I just got into it. :D Trieste, I had no idea there was a town named Sunrise! Wing, that is certainly a unique way of interpreting the prompt. :D Mitth, is that about a werewolf? Sey... nice. [face_laugh] And Livi's has Wonder Woman to the rescue!

Winner: Winged_Jedi. I like the image of a little Naga Sadow trying in vain to make the sun do what he wants ... and how he finally manages it, in the end. Chilling. :D

Livi-Wan: 6
    Winged_Jedi: 6

[hr]
    [blockquote]#20: Sunset[/blockquote]

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    OOC: Gotta love some fourth wall breaking! :D

22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    His feet padded softly across the grass. The air smelled like spring. His breathing became heavier as he ran through the lush field. A bird flew up under his nose and he yelped excitedly chasing the bird until it flew out of sight. His tongue sagged out of his mouth as he continued.

The dog played all day in the fields searching for a playmate. He found her by the creek splashing in the cool water.

When they were done playing he gave her a doggy lick on the cheek and returned home as he always did right at sunset.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Commentary: I like to imagine Sithy's happens in the True Blood universe - fun series, by the way, I just got into it.

OOC: My entry was half inspired by True Blood, and half by Blade 2. If you are starting with the first season of TB, stick with it; takes several episodes to find its stride, but is really good thereafter.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Sitting on the rocky ledge gazing out over the sunset, the twin suns shimmering. A reddish glow cascading over the land as these final moments will soon succumb to twilight.

I lied down by the edge, the warmth slowly fading away as a cool breeze came from the north. 'Here I am: Isolated, no sign of civilisation in sight. Solitude had never felt so good after what the past few days had offered.'

I closed my eyes and listened to the shifting dunes, a wild bantha herd moaning in the distance.

Sighing. 'What in blazes have I gotten myself into?'

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    It had been two hours of dust, red brake lights, and blurring adverts for automotive-related products, pit lane, rows of seats their white canopy.

The car had endured six hours of the Le Mans 24 Hours, even before he had taken the wheel, while his counterpart exitted the other side.

The sky was darkening to navy blue, as sunset joined the race. Bright spotlights started to bathe the track as their sensors noticed.

Sixteen hours to go, Mike was wondering whose bright idea, no pun intended, the solar-powered car had been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.