main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests The First RPF Drabble Extravaganza! CONCLUDED - Come Congratulate The Winners!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    100 Words: sey

Commentary: Sey, doggie! Cute doggie is cute. :D Corellian_Outrider, welcome to the Drabble Extravaganza, and it's always good to see a new take on a classic scene. Sithy... poor guy, I hope they put batteries in it. [face_laugh]

Winner: Sith-I-5, because I think it's the drabble in which sunset plays the most crucial part.

[b]Scoreboard:[/b]
    Livi-Wan: 6
    Winged_Jedi: 6
    DarkLordoftheFins: 2
    Trieste: 2
    Sith-I-5: 2
    darthramza: 1
    s65horsey: 1

[hr]
    [b]And The Next Prompt Is:[/b]
    [blockquote]#21: Mortality[/blockquote]

2. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002

The novice had been nursing her for days, now. A cranky, irritable old woman who refused even the slightest bit of help. Novice Yarrow was beginning to think that the gods were testing her.

"One more." the woman grunted through gritted teeth. "One more step. I can make it."

"You can't-"

Her grip was like iron. "Do not tell me what I can and cannot do." The old scar on her mouth twisted as she grinned, though there was no humour in it. "I have walked from one end of the Vale to the other, girl. I can make it."

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ?This could be problematic,? Will grunted, clutching his side. He was bleeding profusely now. His gun had long since run out of ammo, and his friends had long since made their escape. That left only him, the obligatory grenade, and a horde of sentient mutant kumquats advancing down a narrow hallway.

?I always knew I would die like this. Well, maybe not the fruit part, but the whole dying in a blaze of glory thing. It looks cool. It feels cool. And if there?s one thing I am??

He pulled the trigger out with his teeth. ?It?s cool.?

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    OOC: Thank you Xan! Mutant kumquats? Nice.

There was nothing to do, not in the time he likely had left. There was no way he could recalibrate the two teleportation chambers in time to reverse what had been done to him.

He caught multiple sights of himself in the multiple mirrors, and desperately swept them off the wall with a spiny arm, black cartilage speared through his labcoat sleeve.

CRASH

Seven years bad luck. What a joke. What he wouldn't give for a whole seven more years.

But the logs didn't lie. There had been a mayfly in the chamber with him.

5. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    OOC: My homecoming post, very nice. Based off a character I've done. Xan and ramz, to name a few, should be able to place him if they think real hard. :p
    _______

Pitiful fools, so concerned with their own mortality. I end them. I persist while they fall. I see these pitiful insects, all of them, and I laugh, for I will outlive them all, for should my mortal frame fade, I will live on in their memories. The flit of a shadow will send tremors of fear down their spine. Their daughters will quiver at the mere mention of my name. Those fools in their ivory tower will die and fade, all they have sought to gain will be lost, but I will exist into eternity, for I am death incarnate.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    OOC: For some reason, it conjures up images of hippy dragons and YA LADIES:p

7. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    OOC: :-B Yeah, I was doing a werewolf thing.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

'The Parting Glass' bleated from the overhead speakers as the lone person sat in the waiting room. A very unique waiting room to say the least, as on the floor and ceiling a simple scribble was at the exact center, there were seven-hundred-seventy-seven ceiling tiles and six-hundred-sixety-six floor tiles.

At one end of the oval space this filled was a stairway leading up, at the other an open elevator. Upon the customary waiting room TV across from him his life played out, as well as the life of his every imaginings. As the song ended and his morossness reached it's peak as the highlights replayed across the screen a soft voice seemed to whisper, "You may take the stairs. Mortal life is ended, begin beyond Mortality-with love an ocean of fire is but a flickering flame." Weeping yet, it was a while before that room once more was empty.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    ~OOC~ Thank you DarthXan318 :). The piece is of the perspective from one of my original characters after a harsh week.

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    100 Words: Livi, Ramz, Chuks

Commentary: Livi, the scar - the Vale - is that Skadi?! :D Ramza, lol mutant kumquats. I did a double take a that one. Sithy... oh god The Fly. *shudder* Chuks, welcome back! Hmm... I'd hazard a guess that that's the black-robed dude from your original fantasy game, whats-his-name-it-started-with-an-R. Mitthfisto, I like it, but that's 149 words my friend!

Winner: Livi-Wan. I swear this was not a foregone conclusion from the time I realised it was Skadi. :p I simply like that it's a snapshot of a character nearer the end of her life than the start - we don't see enough of that around here! - and still she remains stubborn and vital.

Livi-Wan: 7
    s65horsey: 1

[hr]
    [blockquote]#22: Eternity[/blockquote]

10. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Yes that was indeed Skadi! Providing she survives the campaign and lives on into cranky old age. :D

Click. Click. What time is it? You look around, but for some reason the room is dark. Huh. It was morning when you started. Click. Maybe lunchtime? You were hungry once. That went away, after a while. Click. There was banging, but you ignored it and that stopped too. Click. Click.

Oh. Back to the main page. Your eyes automatically flick over the first line of text.

[i]Welcome to tv tropes.[/i]

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    The white color signifies purity. The purity is unique and lonesome as evil inhabits the world around us. Your kind is distinctive by color and markings. You should not need to fight, but if you do you will have the means necessary to defend yourself. The road ahead of you is not easy, but you must travel down this path. You must defeat evil and free those corrupted by its power.

If you choose not to, you will spend eternity as the Last Unicorn.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    How long had it been? A hundred years? A thousand? He knew not. He had forgotten who he was. All he knew was the room. Featureless. White. The men in coats came every day to pump him full of futuristic compounds that kept him alive despite how badly he wanted it all to end. His physiological structure was preserved at just the right level to ensure he could never die, but that he also could never escape. And every day, all day, the horrifying, endless repetition of a single song. Even now the lyrics tormented him.

?SPACE IS THE PLACE?

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Some creative ones this time around. [face_laugh]

100 Words: Ramz

Commentary: Livi's is one I am sure we can all relate to. :oops: Sey ... that is incongruously hilarious, I lol'd. Ramza, I remember that song from one very ... memorable ... rpfchat session. Thanks for putting it back in my head. :p

Winner: s65horsey. I dunno, there is something incredibly funny about the dichotomy between the seriousness of the first paragraph and the cartooneyness of the last line. Incongruous funny deserves a win. :D

s65horsey: 2

[hr]
    [blockquote]#23: Wave[/blockquote]

14. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    The horizon appeared to be blood red. One could wonder why. But the Sarge stared at the tiny black objects roaring in, growing ever second to the giants they were.
    In the trenches the lethargy was immediately over. Activity began to spread like an infection. Clicks and cracks, as weapons were readied. The Sarge raised his own oversized pulse rifle and kept his cigar between his teeth. "That´s not too many, are they?" The Rookie asked nervous.

The Sarge gave them another look. "No." He said. A sigh of relief came from the Rookie.

"But it´s only the first wave."

15. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Unbelievable. This sight.... unfathomable. This horrific, unexpected, unexplained sight. The audacity. The very NERVE. A wave, directed right at me. It was disastrous in implications. I had to respond, right? I could. I'd be a creep otherwise. It would be simple, to fix this. But, no, I couldn't. It's been years, but still. Is that petty of me? In the long run, it didn't matter. Still.... She stole my applesauce.... though that had been the first grade. We hadn't talked since, and now here she is, waving. I should wave back. Hmm.... nah, petty is cool. I'll live with that.

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My turn for a true story.

The first time that I achieved a perfect, double back flip.

You would think I'd be happy, want to tell all my friends, boast about it.

But, when I came to, I'd been dashed up dat Barbados beach, my pride and joy day-glo green wraparound sunglasses (from Boots the Chemist), swept away, never to be seen again.

I now understand the power of water. I was not a small person, that day. I felt I could stand my ground, resist the surf coming in. The surf had other ideas.

So it's all relative.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ?Look out!? shouted Geoff, pushing Frederick to the ground just in time to dodge a pulsing blast of red energy from Dr. Disaster?s handgun. ?He nearly got you with his deadly gamma gun! Just one dose of those particles and you're doomed to eventually get cancer!?

?You mean gamma waves,? Fred corrected.

?What??

?Gamma radiation is a wave, not a particle,? he explained.

?Actually,? Dr. Disaster added, ?gamma radiation, like all forms of light, exhibits both wave and particle behavior.?

?Fascinating,? Geoff remarked. Suddenly, he screamed.

A wave from the nearby acid ocean crashed into all three of them.

18. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002

The raid had been going better than expected. Commander Wen watched his soldiers with a sort of fatherly pride as they approached the village. They were learning. Even Private Quan, who usually couldn't get his helmet on right first try, was at least facing in the proper direction.

His thoughts were interrupted by a shout.

"Sir! The village is empty!"

Before Wen could react, a wave swept him off his feet and the waterbnders were on them like a typhoon.

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    The young man clutched his books to his chest. He walked this way through the quad every Wednesday after class hoping for a glimpse of the pretty girl who usually sat underneath the oak tree.

He spotted her, sitting in her usual spot and sipping on a soft drink and reading a book. His step slowed as he savored this moment.

She glanced up, jolted out of her book by some sense. She saw him, gave a little wave and went back to reading.

His heart lept with joy. She had finally acknowledged him! He would remember the wave forever.

20. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Crazy week is crazy! [face_beatup] This will be another belated-and-quick round update ...

100 Words: Chukles, ramz, Sey

Winner: darthramza, for cleverly managing to work physics and two different definitions of 'wave' into a single drabble. :p

darthramza: 2

[hr]
    [blockquote]#24: Mask[/blockquote]

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ?This just looks like a piece of cloth,? Fred muttered, as he eyed the featureless fabric he had been handed.

?Ah, but it is so much more,? the professor explained. ?This is the latest in camouflage technology ? not only does it change your face to an entirely different one, but it also induces an entirely different personality, so as to make your acting more believable.?

?Quite the contraption,? Fred replied, slipping the cloth over his head.

?There is one slight complication ? the changes tend to be permanent. Something about severing neural connections and facial tissue.?

?Severing what now?!? Then, screaming.

22. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002

They're waiting for a speech. Dramatic finger-pointing, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately you don't feel like talking right now. What you want to do is go and lie down and cover your head until everything goes away. This is too much, too fast, everything's crazy and can't everyone see that your hands are shaking as you climb the fallen pillar and take a deep breath and the words just come.

And just like that, the mask's in place and you're Commander Shepard.

"Make me proud. Make yourselves proud. Let's go."

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I have about five minutes to update right now, but I want to get the next prompt out so you guys can start on it, so I'll declare Livi-Wan the winner and edit in some more commentary and the word counts later.

[THE PROMISED EDIT]

I thought a prompt as vague as 'Mask' would get more entries! It's all nice and open-ended and everything. Then again, perhaps too vague?

100 Words: Ramza

Commentary: Ramza's made me wince and shudder quite dramatically. It's like ... augh. Not the face! Anything but the face! Livi's on the other hand is a more subtle sort of mask, but no less one for what it is. It's a rare glimpse at the human being under the Shepard persona, but I think it's also evocative of any sort of leader in a crisis.

Livi-Wan: 8
    darthramza: 2

[hr]
    [blockquote]#25: Ooh, shiny[/blockquote]

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    OOC: It is now statistically impossible for anyone other than Livi or Winged to win.:p

As promised - and incidentally, I'd totally be down for more drabbles, even if they were just for fun rather than counting.

?Don?t touch that!? Algernon shouted, slapping away the girl?s hand.

?But it?s so [i]pretty[/i]!? the little girl moaned, gesturing to the shimmering silver disk.

?That [i]pretty[/i] thing is a transmultiverse implosion device. The slightest mistouch and WHAM! All existence is utterly eradicated within a twelve universe radius of us! Do you know what kind of damage that can do to the cosmic stream? The damage it can do to us? [i]The paperwork I?d have to fill out?![/i]?

?Alright already. Sheesh.? Just then, the automated door slid open.

?Good morning Algy. ... Ooo, something shiny!?

?Wait, Fred don't-!?

25. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, and I've been trying to avoid that situation for a while now to be honest. :p

I might toss in some bonus prompts over the next few days, to make it less of a foregone conclusion. Then again, that might just increase their lead. [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.