main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The First SWC Muggles Draft - The Draft Who Lived

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarkEagle, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. But significantly more than three Porgs.

Yodaminch and ma_petite like this.
  2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Incubation time for a puffin (closest comp to a porg) is ~45 days, I contend that if the porgs can hold out that long against an opponent they could technically reproduce DURING the match

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll buy that argument

BookExogorth and KenKenobi like this.
  4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    This Team Makes Me Happy vs We're One with the Force. The Force is with Us

Alright, here we go. This one was incredibly close (and that's part of the reason it took a while to get this up) and I kept flip-flopping between the two teams.

Why Makes Me Happy could win: excellent planning and strategizing backed by the skills and experience to pull off any crazy schemes. Wedge + the Wraiths is nuts in terms of putting together a crazy plan on limited time and resources. This team is also chalk-full of people that can exploit an enemy's momentary distraction to seize an advantage (see: R2, BB-8, the whole team pretty much). Wonderful cohesion- Poe and BB-8 are the only oddballs here and they would fit right in to Rogue or Wraith Squadron if they existed in the same timeline. Plus guys like Face and Poe have a fair bit of tough combat experience under their belts (not that the rest don't; these two stood out as having a bit more). This team has a little bit of everything needed to win.

Why One with the Force could win: Experience and firepower advantage backed with planning and cohesion. Sabine, Chirrut, Baze, and Jace are all mini-wrecking balls- if unchecked they can quickly create an advantage through their plentiful combat experience. Hera + Padme + Sabine also make an excellent leadership/strategy team to hold this squad together and think up a way to win. Solid cohesion doesn't hurt- no sore spots, just a few lonely oddballs (Ania, Krismo, Jace, Finn).

Result: I see these teams as being very similar, just with their rpg points allocated differently: Happy has more points in teamwork, leadership, and tactical planning but One With The Force has shifted more points over to skill and experience.....and in the end, I think that's what swings it for We are One with the Force. I see Sabine, Chirrut, Baze, Jace each being able to handle multiple foes leaving folks like Padme, Ania, and Kallus to hit the opponents' weak spots. Wedge and co. come up with their crazy plan and it starts well, but no plan survives contact with the enemy and OwtF are no slouches at counter-strategizing. If a few more guys on Happy had more experience in going up against skilled opponents, I could see them hanging around longer and getting their plan to work, but against trained experienced soldiers, spies and pilots just aren't quite enough.

@DarthIntegral @Darth_Furio

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Won't be at a computer until tomorrow. NOT typing my judgement on my phone

Mikaboshi likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think the rules of team battles is why This Team Makes Me Happy is going to win.

If this was just a melee, everyone thrown in, battle it out type of affair, I think We are one With the Force would likely come out on top. But, in a team battle, both teams get preparation, and - to me - This Team Makes Me Happy really starts to shine when you think about what Prep is going to do for them. First of all, as everyone has pointed out, this team is set up as more than the sum of their parts. The cohesion that runs through 8 of them directly, and then through the other two, and loops back to one member of the original 8 is fantastic. 'sey did a great job of team building, and it pays off here. Furthermore, the range of weapons and possibilities they can bring with that prep is through the roof. Vong tech / simulated vong tech. Resistence era, rebellion era, new Republic Era weapons ... it's impressive.

I'd written up the start of a theater judgment that started with Padme trying to put a restrainer bolt on R2 before Poe shot her in the hand, but I apparently took too long to come back to it and the boards at it, and I lost my motivation. So, just know this - at the end of the theater, R2 and BB-8 were maniacally torturing Chirrut.

BookExogorth, Mikaboshi and ma_petite like this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

BookExogorth likes this.
  8. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I've been going back and forth on this and I love the pieces of We are one with the Force, but, Ms. Sey's team is in fact the truest form of a team. All those guys are connected besides only Poe because BB-8 knows R2. I feel in this draft that PREP helps droids most of all in the planning stages and R2 and BB-8 with time to plan can't be understated. Wedge is the definition of leader and the fact that he trained and hand picked some of these guys means a lot. If something goes side ways on Wedge and co, you can't put a price on knowing what your comrade in arms is going to do. These guys are going to know what the other is going to do. This Team Makes Me Happy wins.

BookExogorth, Mikaboshi and ma_petite like this.
  9. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Smeltings Conference for Uptight Upright and Proper GMs
    1. Mostly Mandalorian (1-0) [8-2]- @Mikaboshi
    2. Scum and Villainy (1-0) [7-3]- @cubman987
    3. Boring Conversation Anyway[/B] (1-0) [6-3-1]- @Yodaminch
    4. Forever Evil (0-1) [3-6-1]- @Evil Incarnate
    5. RX's Super Sweet Team That's Gonna PWN Some Fools (0-1) [3-6]- @RX_Sith
    6. The Unquestionably Questionable Quintet (0-1) [2-8]- @Darkslayer

St Brutus's Secure Conference for Incurably Criminal GMs
    1. Porg One: A Shaq Wars Story (1-0) [7-3]- @Wang Chi / @KenKenobi
    2. Seismic Charges (1-0) [6-4]- @heels1785
    3. This Team Makes Me Happy (1-0) [5-5]- @ma_petite
    4. We're One with the Force. The Force is with Us (0-1) [5-5]- @Jordan1Kenobi
    5. OG Team (0-1) [4-6]- @Jedi Knight Fett
    6. Team Hufflepuff (0-1) [3-7]- @Point Given
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round 2

Forever Evil vs RX's Super Sweet Team That's Gonna PWN Some Fools

Scum and Villainy vs Mostly Mandalorian

The Unquestionably Questionable Quintet vs Boring Conversation Anyway

Porg One: A Shaq Wars Story vs Seismic Charges

This Team Makes Me Happy vs Team Hufflepuff

OG Team vs We're One with the Force. The Force is with Us

Numbers please!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    BookExogorth, Mikaboshi and KenKenobi like this.
  10. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I've never seen that video. I'm losing my $#@& over here. [face_laugh] Lobot DJ. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Mikaboshi and ma_petite like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    When preparing arguments, given the location, keep in mind this judge is willing to accept a battle coming down to a "dance off" ... prepare your preps/trumps/strategy with this in mind.

BookExogorth and Mikaboshi like this.
  12. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Methinks the prep/strategic planning ability of the two droids in question is severely overstated, I can't really recall any point where either of those two were instrumental in that aspect of a fight or combat situation. Their contribution to the vast majority of fights they are present for is peripheral, at best.

Anywho, numbers in.

13. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Droids with PREP can help in so many ways. Battle ground layouts, technical readings on weapon systems for your team and the enemies. You don't think Prequel R2 and BB8 would be handy in a fight? BB-8 took out four guys with coins. I don't know, but I think these two would be really handy in a fight with time to plan.

BookExogorth, ma_petite and Mikaboshi like this.
  14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I think taking out 4 people with coins is just plot stupidity.

Most of what R2 and B.B will provide via prep is going to be stuff the teams would have via prep anyway, no?

The information each team gets would include the weaponry they will be facing, the location, a bio of your opponents.

As far as actual battlefield usefulness? They are accessories, useful, but most of the time they are ignored and they are allowed to fly in under the radar.

Again, useful, but enough to sway a team battle? Meh.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Numbers sent!

Mikaboshi likes this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Numbers are in.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Numbers are in

Mikaboshi likes this.
  18. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    See and I think Star Wars at its core is actually a story about the heroic actions of droids. Our human heroes would not survive if it wasn’t for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BookExogorth and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  20. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Except all those times where the heroes survived without any droids around.

Evil Incarnate likes this.
  21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Artoo:

Stopped Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Padme from getting blown up in their escape from Naboo by getting shields back
    Saved Padme again from being scalded and melted in the droid factory on Geonosis.
    Saved Anakin and Obi-Wan on the Invisible Hand by first the buzz droids, then the elevator, then the distraction that allowed them to escape Grievous’ capture.
    Saved Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie from being crushed by the trash compactor
    Saved Lando, Leia, and Chewie from being captured or killed escaping Cloud City and then fixing the hyperdrive.

The heroes could and would have died otherwise in many of these situations.

So I wouldn’t downplay the role a droid plays.

22. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, ok, so are we just going to pretend that there aren't FAR more examples of those 2 droids having no participation or impact in dangerous situations?

Those two droids are always out of the center of battle, oftentimes not even being paid attention to by others. That’s how they can pull that stuff off, they benefit from being ignored.

In the limited size team battles, the impact of their contribution is going significantly lessened...especially if someone on the opposing team may be aware of the potential danger.

I get what you are saying, but think the importance of the droids is being greatly inflated.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  23. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    1. Mostly Mandalorian (1-0) [8-2]- @Mikaboshi
    2. Scum and Villainy (1-0) [7-3]- @cubman987
    3. Boring Conversation Anyway[/B] (1-0) [6-3-1]- @Yodaminch
    4. Forever Evil (0-1) [3-6-1]- @Evil Incarnate
    5. RX's Super Sweet Team That's Gonna PWN Some Fools (0-1) [3-6]- @RX_Sith
    6. The Unquestionably Questionable Quintet (0-1) [2-8]- @Darkslayer

1. Porg One: A Shaq Wars Story (1-0) [7-3]- @Wang Chi / @KenKenobi
    2. Seismic Charges (1-0) [6-4]- @heels1785
    3. This Team Makes Me Happy (1-0) [5-5]- @ma_petite
    4. We're One with the Force. The Force is with Us (0-1) [5-5]- @Jordan1Kenobi
    5. OG Team (0-1) [4-6]- @Jedi Knight Fett
    6. Team Hufflepuff (0-1) [3-7]- @Point Given
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round 2

6, 7, 10

Forever Evil vs RX's Super Sweet Team That's Gonna PWN Some Fools
    6. General Grievous vs Trioculus (prep)
    7. Prince Xizor vs PROXY (prep)
    10. SORPIO vs Nom Anor

Scum and Villainy vs Mostly Mandalorian
    6. Dengar vs Gallandro
    7. Doctor Aphra (prep) vs IG-88
    10. Sugi + Deliah Blue vs Gar Saxon

The Unquestionably Questionable Quintet vs Boring Conversation Anyway
    6. Gregor vs Nick Rostu + Commander Wolfe
    7. Commander Cody vs Wolfe + Rostu (FORFEIT)
    10. Jar Jar Binks vs Zeb + Chopper

Porg One: A Shaq Wars Story vs Seismic Charges
    6. Fenn Shysa (prep) vs Zam Wesell
    7. Mezhan Kwaad (prep) vs Theron Shan (prep)
    10. RC-1138 Boss vs RC-1207 Sev + RC-1262 Scorch [face_money_eyes]

This Team Makes Me Happy vs Team Hufflepuff
    6. R2-D2 vs Jagged Fel (prep)
    7. Myn Donos vs Cassian Andor
    10. Hobbie Klivian + Wes Janson vs Judder Page

OG Team vs We're One with the Force. The Force is with Us
    6. Fenn Rau vs Hera Syndulla + Baze Malbus
    7. Mr. Bones vs Alexsandr Kallus
    10. ARC Trooper Alpha vs Finn

Argue away!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That’ll do Rostu. That’ll do.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Fenn Rau hadn’t shown enough to be able to take many one on one fights. Hera and Baze together is too much. You have the impressive hand to hand skills that Hera’s shown to be capable of, plus accurate support from Baze behind her. Shouldn’t be too hard.

2. Come on... Kallus is scrapping this droid.

3. Finn’s taken on bigger and badder opppnents than this. He has crazy luck too. Who else could survive a one on one against Kylo AND Phasma in this draft and live to tell the tale? Not many. I’m not saying it’s easy. It’d be a tough duel. But Finn has the hand to hand feats and just the right amount of luck to come out on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.