main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The First time you saw Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by Ja-De-Cloudia, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ja-De-Cloudia

Ja-De-Cloudia Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm one of those unfortunate people, who wasn't old enough to see the OT at the theatre. However, I was fortunate enough to be born into a Star Wars loving family. My dad bought the OT on tape when it was rereleased in I want to say 1991. It was a few years before the SE I'd like to say. I could be wrong, but I was 7-9. At any rate I didnt want to watch it because it looked "lame". But, he made me, because he said it was one of the most important movies ever made. Needless to say I watched all three of them in one sitting, and I never had got the the suspense of waiting years between each one. I think it's the reason I'm less critical of the PT. So, I'll take this moment to thank my dad for "culturing" me at an early age to good movies. Thats my story, when did you first see Star Wars, and when did you become a fan.

2. Hudel

Hudel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2002
    I don't remeber seeing A New Hope in the theater ( I was 3/4 at the time of release). I'm guessing I probably saw it on tv the first time.

I do remember seeing Empire in the theater though. I even convinced my older sister to take me back for a second viewing (it was easy work as she is a SciFi geek as well).

I remember ALWAYS being a fan. Even in my earliest memories, Star Wars was just there. No moment of realization, no epiphany...It just has always been. Not one of the worst things in this world to have as a moral compass. :)

And in the honor of Ja-De-Cloudia who started this thread, I have to give props to my sister. She got me into SciFi in general and Star Wars and Star Trek in particular. She even taught me how to read with Star Trek books. (no booing, star wars books weren't out, good, or popular then. hehe)

So my response is... I've always been a fan. Pure and simple.

Hudel Andam

3. Swampsurfer

Swampsurfer Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2001
    My first STAR WARS experience was a boy's action figures in 3rd grade. It was the spring of 1977, the build up before the release of a sprawling space saga of rebellion and romance that later became known as STAR WARS. He had these cool little action figures that made the adventure people look like dweebs. Needless to say, I wanted some. I spent every penny I could muster buying up only the coolest ones from the original 12 figures, Chewbaca being the first and Vader the second. Those two went at it night and day onboard my Space 1999 starship. I even bought a poster for this movie I had never seen and fanaticized about what the images all meant. I remember arguing with my good friend David that the cockpit on the Falcon was the escape pod that the droids took to Tatooine. Boy was I wrong!

Sometime in the fall of '77, STAR WARS finally made it to the theater in small town St. Martinville, Louisiana. My mom, David, and I went to see the show. I have been caught up in the craziness ever since. To include The Holiday Special, which to this day, I still regreat making my first communion and having to miss 3/4th of it. Still, it is good knowing it was crappy :)

I was one of the lucky ones to see all three OT movies in the theater. I can remember thinking nothing can top Episode IV. When Empire came out, I damn near wanted to die when I found out all of the horrible rumors of Vader being Luke's father could be true. Still I would not believe it. Man was I young and naive! Finally, when Jedi came out I was into girls AND the mighty empire being destroyed by the ewoks didn't even seem absurd to me. (NOTE: Care Bears were not around yet.) That movie was a thrill ride I will never forget. The introduction to Jaba the Hutt and his demise, speeder bike chase through a giant redwood forest, Lando leading the charge in space, and the ultimate confrontation between good and evil on the 2nd Death Star.

I am deeply sorry, but the PT will never live up to the OT. I can't exactly place my finger on it, but I would have to chalk it up to nostalgia. STAR WARS is forever! Yea!

Swampsurfer

4. Ja-De-Cloudia

Ja-De-Cloudia Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    i think my love for the pt had little to do with the movie itself. I think it has more to do with making so many friends, and the feeling of being in a theatre with a couple hundred of your best friends. It was an incredible thrill for me. That and the fact I've loved Natalie Portman since the professional.. I love that movie. :) I'm a bad person, but I really like the PT. I like ESB the most out of all them, but I kinda lean towards ROTJ. I'm a sinner!! lol

5. Bakh-tor_01

Bakh-tor_01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    First time I saw Star Wars I was 12-13. It was when Daddy decided he wanted all his kids to see these movies because he remembered how much he liked them. He brought the OT home for a weekend and that was all she wrote. I was hooked.

6. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    I'm from the old school, but it always amazes me how many 2nd generation VHS born STAR WARS fans are out there.

Awsome!

7. DarthRender

DarthRender Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    I saw ANH in the theater when I was 4.

8. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    I been told by my family that we went to every PT movie in the theaters. But my memory is so bad I can only remeber seeing the ROTJ in the actual theater. But I had almost every toy that they made and have vivid memories of riping the heads of some of the figures. Thank god my mom saved the day and hot glued the heads back on Hoth Han solo and Tatione Luke. I just learned a year ago that they gave Walrus Man a new name. But he will always be Walrus Man to me.

Ubigod

9. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    I agree. Walrus-Man! That's up there with Han Shoots First!

10. acidblue0

acidblue0 Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2002
    I am old school also
    1. Star Wars - A New Hope (Saw it opening night)
    2. Star Wars - Return Of The Jedi (Saw It Opening Night)
    3. Star Wars - Special Edition A New Hope (Saw it opening night. Got lucky on this one)
    The best one for me was Return of The Jedi. I will never forget it. When Vader threw his Master over the crowd went crazy and stood up cheering. Some people were even crying because they were so happy and surprised. That is so far my greatest Star Wars moment.

11. leikendo

leikendo Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2003
    Im very new school but my mom saw 4 5 and 6 on opening night, thanks partly b/c she grew up in a very small town. But when I first saw them I was...too young for me to remember how old I was. But my mom rented all three and copied them to tape. I would watch them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until the tape broke. I do remember that I used to take our dining room chairs and put them together to make an x-wing cockpit and pretend I was luke fighting aginst the Death Star. And that my friends is the rest of the story.

12. wicket_the_ewok

wicket_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I remember one day when i was a little kid, eight i think, i was channel surfing and i came to the channel known as FOX. i remember seeing this gold robot and this other robot that looked like a trash can walking to this big building. when the two got there, the gold one knocked on the door and this pole with a wierd looking ball on the end of it popped out the door. I know now that was episode 6, but at the time i didn't know what it was, until they went to commercial break. i've seen bits a pieces of the others, but when the special edition came out in 1997, that is truely when i became a star wars fan. till this day, i haven't seen a movie that made me fell the way i do when i watch star wars. it's an indescribable feeling, but its a great feeling.

13. theta_q

theta_q Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2003
    All I remember as a kid was the scene in the trash compactor with that slimy tentacle being. What a memory of a legendary movie! Hey guys, how have all of you been since we went see the Matrix???

14. Jedi_Skye

Jedi_Skye Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    I was 3-years-old when I saw Episode IV. It was the first movie I remember seeing. I think we went to see it like 7 times. We saw Episodes V and VI numerous times, too. I was hooked from the age of 3. I remember my 3PO and R2 action figures and my SW t-shirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.