main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The First Tyranus-Anakin Duel

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Beezer, Jul 8, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeaaaaaahhhhh. I'm usually the guy jumping on things like this (people who spend time in LACWAC know this), but I never did in this case. He's Anakin Skywalker, the Chosen One, the guy with the huge midichlorian count. The guy who likes to show off. If anyone is allowed to take up a second blade out of nowhere, it's him. Plus, as it has been pointed out, he loses a saber in like two seconds, he doesn't do well with it.

2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Thread-finishingly well spoken, friend.

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I assume that all Jedi would be taught in all fighting forms, but they end up adopting whatever style suits them best.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I very much agree with this. Well said.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm actually glad Lucas put that scene in there, it's one of my favorite Anakin/Obi-Wan team up moments. Anakin rouses himself to come leaping to the rescue, we get "I am a slow learner" and Obi-Wan has the presence of mind to Force pull his saber and toss it to Anakin, Anakin catches it and takes it to Dooku instantly. It's inspiring to see Anakin and Obi-Wan so in sync for once. It's all very heroic, it's faster and more intense.

I rather like the pacing, certainly more than the marathon duel between Anakin and Kenobi in ROTS.

minnishe likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know the AOTC duel is similar to the ESB duel that it is split into 3 segments and the segments in ESB are similar in length but the segments in AOTC were with 3 different people against Dooku while ESB was Luke against Vader. The ESB duels set the tone quickly for me and didn't leave me wanting more. The AOTC duel does.

bibfortuitous and Sarge like this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    One is good, more must be better!

8. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    People make bad decisions on the spur of the moment all the time. Anakin was horrible with two blades. His form was weak, and all he seemed able to do was keep a little distance between him and Dooku.
    But I think that was the point of that scene. It was to show how sadly inexperienced both Obi Wan and Anakin were compared to Dooku. Under different circumstances things might have appeared different.

Let's say, Anakin is fighting a few dirty rotten scoundrels in defense of an injured Obi Wan. Obi might then throw Anakin his lightsaber, and Anakin might look like a huge hero by the end of it.
    Perhaps the only reason we never saw Obi offer up his weapon that way prior to this moment is because we rarely see Obi Wan injured beyond the capacity to defend himself.

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Do the Jedi ever hold training in utilizing two sabers at once? It hardly seems commonplace, so Anakin was obviously behind from the start.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Of course they do. If they never did, Obi-wan wouldn't have thrown his saber to Anakin.

I've trained with two swords. It's not something for a newbie to try, but once you've gotten good with one, it's not that hard to learn two, and you can learn a lot by trying two swords. There are definitely pros and cons to both styles and every swordsman should at least try it to see if it's a good fit for him.
    And it's FUN!!!

11. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That's the conclusion any intelligent person would come to.

12. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    I really shouldn't talk bad about the Chosen One like that. My form with two sabers was just as weak...

I kept thinking I was going to whack the camera off the tripod :p
    Ok. So that was nerdy.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's a good example of what not to do.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And he loses Obi-Wan's lightsaber a few seconds into the duel. :p

One thing that irks me is that I don't recall any novel, or comic, that shows Obi-Wan training with two lightsabers, so I don't understand how he would be able to teach Anakin.

I know some might think, "but he probably taught himself," which is a possibility, but then again he still showed poor swordsmanship. Overall, I think it's rather pointless to throw him an extra lightsaber. What's the point? Are you going to hit Dooku, a master swordsman, into submission?

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    To continue with that line of reasoning, we never saw Qui-Gon potty training Obi-Wan, so how was Obi-Wan able to potty train Anakin?
    My point is this: The movies don't show every little thing that everyone was ever trained in. It's totally reasonable to assume that Jedi can be trained with two lightsabers and that it happened off-screen.

As for beating master swordsman Dooku into submission with two blades against his one, yes, that is the plan. Dooku just demonstrated his superiority and finesse fighting one-on-one. Anakin tried to switch things up by using brute force against elegance. Didn't work, but it was better than going into a 1 vs 1 fight where he'd be outmatched.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    If Dooku flung lightning at him, Anakin could catch it on one sabre while still swinging the other, perhaps that had something to do with it?

Alternatively (as already mentioned), Kenobi may have known that Anakin would have no realistic chance and, by giving Anakin the second saber, it at least puts Dooku on the back foot and acts as a delaying tactic if nothing else (they would have died if the fight didn't go on for as long as it did).

The OP's point does add another perspective towards Anakin's resentment towards Obi-Wan though. "If you hadn't given me that second lightsaber I'd still have my arm!" Kind of thing...

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Not in the movies, at least, but in the novels, which is what I was referring to in my post. :p

Of course you could assume, although I don't really like doing that, since I like to see it. In the movies, we didn't see much training (unless you call Obi-Wan bitching at Anakin training, or Qui-Gon's few lines in the beginning of TPM). There's simply no reason why Obi-Wan gave Anakin another lightsaber at that moment imo.

19. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    None. Those thrice damned jedi wouldn't train me. And now that the Dark Lords are all gone, I have to train myself >.<

20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I'd agree.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sometimes assumption is necessary to keep the story moving without getting bogged down in details. We assume Han was trained as a pilot when we see him flying, we assume Chewie was trained as a mechanic because he works on the Falcon, we assume Leia knows how to deactivate a carbonite freeze unit because she does that, we assume Luke was trained to ride a tauntaun because he does, and we assume Anakin can fight with two sabers because Obi-wan threw his.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Where do you live, Aegon? If you're interested, there are a lot of places to learn swordplay.

23. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    California. Considering how many swords I own, I guess it's kind of strange that I've never learned to use one.
    One of these days I'll have to take the time. Right now I'm just always on the move.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    California? Dude, you can't swing a gladius without hitting a sword school in California.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    However, that's when we first met Han. He's been established as a smuggler and pilot. We knew Anakin was a Jedi and had one lightsaber, but we never saw him use two nor was it hinted.

As for the others, those are plot conveniences. ;)

Anakin's two lightsabers can't be considered that, since it made no sense imo. What was the point?