main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The First Tyranus-Anakin Duel

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Beezer, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't mind the duel lightsabers as much as the awful camera work and horrible editing all over the entire duel.

bibfortuitous likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Fine, call them plot conveniences. They're all the same, dual sabers included. And the point was, Obi-Wan knew exactly how good Anakin was with one blade, and Obi-
    Wan had just experienced how good Dooku was in a one vs one fight. Obi-Wan knew Anakin was bound to lose one blade against one blade. He did not know if Dooku was any good fighting against two sabers. His choices as he saw them were simple: he could do nothing and watch Anakin go on to certain defeat, or he could throw his saber and hope desperately that Dooku couldn't handle an opponent with two sabers. Better to take a slim chance than no chance at all.

And a quick note to all: dual is two at the same time, duel is a combat between two opponents. Now you know, and knowing is half the duel.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Unless there's a good reason for Anakin's dual blade, I can't see it being a plot convenience. I see what you're saying, but Anakin is a Padawan and Dooku is a master swordsman. Something doesn't click to me.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Kenobi should have thrown Anakin a blaster... just so Dooku could lecture them both about being so uncivilized.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Here's another thought to chew on. Obi-Wan was undoubtedly trained in the traditional Jedi combat styles, then he found himself up against Darth Maul, who used a weapon distinctly different from anything we've seen before. Unless Obi-Wan was a fool, he'd ask himself what style the other one of the two mysterious Sith would use, and he'd realize there's a good chance the unknown Sith could use yet another style in an attempt to take the Jedi by surprise. What other styles are there? Two sabers is an obvious one. So I bet Obi-Wan learned as much as he could about other styles, including two sabers, and naturally he'd pass that training on to Anakin. I'm sure master and padawan spar regularly as part of their training, so both would learn different styles, including two sabers. I'd expect both of them to also be competent with dagger, saber and dagger, paired daggers, possibly whips, and energy shields, as well as unarmed combat. If nothing else, learning new weapons and styles breaks the monotony of sparring with the same partner and same weapons year after year.

6. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I didn't like that duel, either, and was kinda indifferent to Anakin dueling with two sabers.

And I never really liked how easily Dooku defeated Obi-Wan both times. Obi-Wan beat Maul (though luckily at the end... he still looked formidable throughout the duel) and Vader, but Dooku sure had his number.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    He's another thing I just noticed.

In Attack of the Clones, Anakin tries to fight Tyrannus with two sabers and fails the first time; There's also a shot where Anakin blocks a blow by holding his sabers in an X. In Revenge of the Sith, he winds up killing him with two sabers, again with the X.
    And consider the colors. By getting a blue blade (the color representing Jedi defense) back in Anakin's hand by the end of the battle, we more effectively make the visual connection to Empire Strikes Back (which AotC share a lot of parallels with). In RotS, his green blade (representing Jedi wisdom) is replaced by the red blade (for Sith aggression).
    So yeah, there's a lot of visual poetic stuff going on.

On an additional, tangential note, Anakin's fighting with a green saber during the fanale of Attack of the Clones is probably a visual nod to Luke's green saber in Return of the Jedi.

9. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Haha. Yeah. California has everything, even desert mountains 4,000 feet above sea level. I live on one of those. I swear, it looks and feels more like Tatooine out here than Los Angeles.
    But there are probably places near enough where I could learn. Mark my words, one of these days I will be the most powerful swordsman ever!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]
    Since I finally figured out how to post pics, here are some of me swashing buckles with two swords.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Sarge, you make life look like a big adventure.

I wanna play now :D I guess I better learn to use a sword before I start swinging one. Oops. Too late.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

100th post milestone! :D

Sarge likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nothing wrong with swinging a sword, Aegon. Just remember, pointy end in the OTHER guy!

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  13. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    :3 Now I feel like Arya Stark! Which is plain awesome. If I were a girl, I would want to be Arya Stark,
    without all the tragic stuff.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Lord Snow, approves...
    ;)

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  15. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Anakin fighting Dooku is kind of reminiscent of Jon's fight with Qhorin Halfhand, if you don't think about the outcome anyway, and the fact that Qhorin is nothing like Dooku.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You guys are all complaining about the saber techniques when this whole fight has the teleporting Obi-Wan issue?

minnishe and Aegon Starcaster like this.
  17. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Dag. I thought no one would notice. Better report this to George. We might have another fan uprising :D

18. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Nice to see someone in here talking sense besides me. :)

Fact is that the reason it was done was to give the viewers some nice eye candy and throw a ripple into what we had all seen as a typical lightsaber duel. They did this with Darth Maul and it worked perfectly because we see a character skilled with both the single and double bladed saber. That's his weapon of choice and he brings it with him. It just doesn't work with Anakin because at no other point in any of the movies do we see Obi-Wan or Anakin using two blades. He doesn't even carry two blades with him, the only reason he gets the 2nd blade in hand is spur of the moment decision.

GGrievous likes this.
  19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    The problem is every single one of those assumptions makes sense within the context of the movies except that last one. If Anakin prefers to fight with 2 sabers, then why does he always only carry one with him?

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He doesn't prefer to fight with 2 sabers. He and Obi-wan are just hoping that Dooku prefers not to fight against 2 sabers.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    It would make sense especially after the events at Naboo that the Jedi would refocus there lightsaber training to include more dueling. The sith they encountered at Naboo did not use a normal lightsaber so after that encounter they would likely have the padawans, younglings, knights and even masters prepare to face lightsaber wielding opponents and they would train them to defend against any type of lightsaber be it double bladed or a opponent using more than one blade. The best way to learn the weakness of a technique is to learn that technique. Anakin probably had some, but not a lot of training in both using and defend against two blades in the 10 year period between films as it would make sense for a Jedi to do so now that they know that the Sith are still around. We see other Jedi in the arena at Geonosis using more than one blade so using and defending against that is probably part of the training curriculum.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    OK, except whom do you think suffers the greater disadvantage in such a scenario? The guy fighting in a style he has never seen, or the opponent? Here's a question no one has answered yet: If fighting with 2 sabers is such a great idea, then why not carry 2 sabers at all times??

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ It's not a great idea. It's a tactic of desperation. And we saw how well it worked out. But it might have been even worse if he hadn't tried it.

And remember that Jedi are supposed to be peacekeepers. Wars not make one great. There are many times when it would be good for a policeman to be carrying a submachine gun, assault rifle, or shotgun, but they just carry a pistol because they're not looking for combat. Same with a Jedi; walking around with two sabers is not the image of a peaceful law enforcer and would be seen as a sign of an aggressive tendency. Aggression leads to the dark side.

24. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    It was a bad decision, just like Anakin's rushing into fight Dooku without Obi Wan was a bad decision.
    But people make bad decisions in combat all the time. As it was, Anakin didn't fair much better with two sabers than he did with one...

25. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    His first saber was destroyed in a matter of seconds anyway right when he had two...