main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The floating black dot in RotJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PrincessLeia222, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    It's been a long time since I watched the OT, due to the fact that my video packed in a year and a half ago. But I always thought that you could see the star field behind Palpatine's chair, causing me to believe that this was the cause. But maybe I was wrong.

On the other hand, I might just have found the real cause for the blobs. I think it was the SFX crew matting out Ian McDiarmid's hair, which could be seen underneath the hood.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The reason for the light spillover was because of the focused spotlights shining on Ian's eyes to give them that eery look.

3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    omg! did bib just resort to an out-universe answer?!? i think that is one of the 7 signs of the apocolypse approaching.

4. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    The blobs are due to bad matting though, I'd put a bet on it!

5. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    So thaaaaat's why. The solution presents itself, in the form of Bib Fortuna's post. Nice work man! It makes total sense and fits perfectly. I wonder if using spotlights for the eye glow was a nod to certain old, old, classic black-n-white horror flicks?

And now, I'm going to find a mod to delete my extraneous posts in this thread. ;)

6. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Oh, don't bother commenting on my solution to the blobs. Just give Bib the credit for that as well, why don't ya! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.