main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Flow of PT into the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BigMackDaddy, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    Given that there is a 23 year gap between Episode 4 and Episode 1, do you think that the saga as it is now flows smoothly?

If not, could some changes be made to the OT to create that smooth flow? However, let's not forget that there is supposed to be an 18 to 20 year gap between Episode 3 and Episode 4, so much could have happened in that timeframe.

Perhaps the events of Epsiode 3 will set in motion the events that take place in that 20 years that leads up to Episode 4?

2. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well first of all, there's about a 31 year gap between Episode I and Episode IV. Second of all, I think there's going to be a great transition between the trilogies if George Lucas lives up to what he said about the "look" of Episode III. More drab, boring colors. More utilitarian costumes, without the extravagant designs. Less sleek looking, more industrial, uniform looking spacecraft.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I don't think that "flow" will be that big of a deal since though the two trilogies are essentially one big story, it's told on two major chunks.

The prequels tell the story of the decline of the Jedi and the tragic fall of Anakin Skywalker.

Eerything then skips forward to the OT, which tells the story of the rise of a new hero and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

4. Darth_Paradiddle

Darth_Paradiddle Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2003
    It's really like a valley or the letter "V" if you think about it. It starts off in Episode I on a high point, the Jedi are strong and guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, everything is going just great. But towards the end of the movie we see things are starting to decay and break down. Then with Episode's II, III, IV, and V being the middle part of the saga, where the bottom in terms of darkness vs. light is hit in Episode III. Then it starts to climb in Episode IV with the emergence of Luke Skywalker, and then finally the climax in Episode VI, where it re-reaches the high point with the restoration of good to the galaxy. :)

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I know it will work perfectly.

Episode V begins with The droids, Ben, and Owen and Beru. These are all characters we already know. It is a planet we already know and even the homestead of is the same. We have already been introduced to the homestead and to the Empire. The transition will be great and that is not even saying what Episode III will do.

SELDON

6. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The saga is like walking through a bog for two episodes, then it's blank for one episode (until 2005), and then finally you get out of it with episode 4, and run at great speed through episode 5, fall a few times but keep up the speed during episode 6. Or something like that.

7. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    So far So good.

I like how the PT fits very well into the OT. Everything looks nice. Tatooine has the same look as the OT. It looks tremendous.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The saga is like walking through a bog for two episodes
    Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!

ANYWAY
    So far I think we have a pretty workable transition between the look of AOTC and ANH, at least in terms of production design.
    Cinematography, no. ANH's was just too flat and simple.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. GrandMasterJay

GrandMasterJay Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2003
    With all things considered towards the OT, Lucas is doing a fairly good job shifting the look and feel of the PT towards ANH. However there are two faults I find in the transition between the two trilogies.

First the PT introduced a larger galaxy than what we knew from the OT. In the OT, locations are a bit more squeezed and smaller scale compared to the scope of the PT.

Personally I'd like to see Lucas add some new scenes with Palpatine on Coruscant as well as Alderann to help broaden the galaxy a bit. This would provide a sense of closure about the planets that were introduced to us in the PT.

Secondly, is the difference in the film quality between the two the trilogies. Yes I understand the film quality in the OT would be somewhat dull being that most of it was shot in the 70's. Still, Lucas should try to digitally grade the picture to bring out and give more color to the background as well as characters. Maybe its just me, but the PT has kinda spoiled me with its sharp picture clarity and great cinematography, something I'd like to see done to the OT when they finally release the UE/AE of it in the near future.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    GrandMasterJay: I agree with you. ANH should have Corusant with Palaptine and Alderan with Bail Organa in it. Just a few short scenes would do. They can be added to the Archival Edition. I think it would better tie ANH with III

11. Darth_Ponderous

Darth_Ponderous Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    The saga is like walking through a bog for two episodes
    Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!

Now that's comedy. LOL.

The flow of the total saga really hinges on the changes to the GFFA we are going to see in Ep. 3. We've already seen the blockier and grey clone transports, and I'm sure that the whole mood will be much more grim by the end of the next movie. Then you move into the gradual upswing starting with ANH.

12. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    The answer to the question that is trying to be asked is, NO. Lucas will not connect the OT to the prequels.

13. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    According to the crew of Episode III, the trilogies will blend "seemlessly" with each other. And if anyone can do it, Lucas can. Have faith, my son. It's already been shown through the hairstyles, colors, and the more claustrophobic sets. Pablo said that all loose ends will be tied up in Episode III. I believe it.

14. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    No new scenes in OT, please!

Leave the OT alone. They were great for this many years, and they are still great. I think the flow will be fine. GL has said that the PT will show a much larger scale and the OT is scaled down to show a smaller part of the universe. He intended it to be this way.

15. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    one little OT change I would be willing to see - or rather to hear - is the Imperial March theme the first time we see Vader in ANH. We've already heard it in TPM and AOTC and it would obviously be in Ep. III. And then its not in ANH but then reappears in ESB. The Imperial theme probably should be added to ANH, dont'cha think?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.