Before The Flowers that Come Late - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vig - For the vignette challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-Gon, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi-Gon Jedi Master

star 1
    Title: The Flowers that Come Late
    Author: Jedi-Gon
    Summary: Rain, water, wind, and cold. A broken arm, an unknown illness, a long-suffering master and his broken limbed padawan. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon.
    Notes: For the Vignette challenge.

A/N: I've never done the vignette challenge before, but, I thought 'why not?' and gave it a shot. Enjoy!

--------------------------

Rain - Cold, wet, dank, wind-driven rain. It came in huge drops, descending upon the forest floor in merciless waves that turned this once lush green land into a swamp. The wildlife of the area had hours ago fled, sensing the coming storm with unexplainable instinct. The two unfortunate humans in the storm, however, had no such instinct, and had been caught unsuspecting in the planet's violent storms, and were now huddled together under a tree, whose branches, however impressively large, were doing next to nothing to keep their heavy clothing from being drenched.

They were out in the middle of nowhere. No spaceport, no villages, no merchants, no nothing. All they had was each other ? a very tired Jedi master and his broken-limbed padawan. Plus a very soggy pack of ration bars.

Obi-Wan clutched his fractured arm close to his chest, trying to keep the freshly set bone as still and dry as possible, though the latter pursuit of this act was nigh impossible to achieve. With a shiver, the exhausted teen pulled into a ball, as effectively as he could with his broken arm, and leaned his wet head on the tree trunk pressed against his side. Across from his wet, injured form, Qui-Gon sat, looking out over the opaquely gray horizon for any sign of dissipation in the storm. He shot a glare up at the dark skies above, exasperation written all over his face.

Despite the fact that their shelter, or what should have been shelter, was on higher ground, Qui-Gon could see that they might be stranded here for a while, if these flood waters should persist. He knew had tried to comm the council about sending a ship to their location, but with the storm's interference, the signal was unable to go through. With a glance at his padawan, who was falling closer to exhaustion, Qui-Gon pressed his lips into a fine line. They needed to get a healer soon, or Obi-Wan's arm might become irreparably damaged. It was fractured in at least three places, from what Qui-Gon could tell, and needed immediate care before it became worse. He himself had several cuts and bruises that wouldn't hurt to be looked at, but nothing compared to what his padawan was suffering. Resigned to wait out this long, heavy rain, Qui-Gon leaned up against the tree, touching his padawan's knee reassuringly.

They had been on a routine, easy mission, teamed up with a freshly minted master-padawan team who needed some help getting into the rhythm of 'missioning', as it was called. At the recommendation of Mace Windu, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, a more experienced team that happened to be off duty at the time, were sent out onto the field with the young knight and his new apprentice.

All seemed to have been going well. And, for over a week, the assigned negotiations went smoothly, without many complications. The two federations were being extremely cooperative, and were both optimistic about the treaty that was to be signed. But, after several days, an alliance of rebels emerged at full force, and the signature 'bad feeling' that Obi-Wan was constantly having became realized in a blur of blaster shots, detonators, and, in their case, two lightsabers. Qui-Gon wasn't sure when, but sometime in the squabble with the rebels, Obi-Wan's arm was hit, rather forcefully, by a thick slab of duracrete that had been blown from a nearby building. He must have been unconscious for at least a few minutes, as well, because the boy could hardly remember what happened. After the fight, the treaty bad been signed, much to the chagrin of the now disarmed rebels, and the Jedi were free to go home. But unfortunately for Obi-Wan, there was no healers in the area that had the proper bone-knitters avai
  2. Jinngerbread Jedi Master

star 4

Qui-Gon nodded with a smile as they walked toward the ship, which looked quite welcoming.

?Ah, but the flowers that come late, Obi-Wan,? He said, gently and fondly ruffling the boy's short hair as they boarded their ride home. Truly, it astonished him every time he looked at Obi-Wan how much the boy had grown. He was starting to become a man ? no longer a gangly young teen, nearly deemed untrainable. He was a true Jedi. And, Qui-Gon mused with a smile, Obi-Wan was his flower; his late-blooming flower. ?Those are the most wonderful ones of all.?

What a very sweet vignette [face_love] So perfectly in character with both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I felt so bad for both of them, and there were flowers after all, after the rain :) Wonderful job on this little vignette. You should participate in these challenges more often :D And extra bonus points for including Qui-Gon in the torture and not just Obi-Wan ;)
  3. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    I loved it, every little bit of it.
  4. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    oh that was good, very good! I really like your style.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Lovely, great writing with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon together.=D=
  6. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww, wonderful viggie! [face_love]

?Perhaps it will be some mysterious, deadly flu bug, and it's so contagious they'll just leave us stranded here in this swamp to die on island quarantine.?

There was a long, quiet pause, in which Obi-Wan rested his eyes, while Qui-Gon stared, bemused, at his padawan. If there was one thing in this galaxy that Qui-Gon would never understand, it was Kenobi humor.

?If they do,? Obi-Wan continued on, as if he had said nothing out of the ordinary, ?I hope they at least send us a kettle and some Aldaraanian ginger tea; I'm craving some just about now.?

Again, Qui-Gon simply stared at his padawan, before letting out an abrupt, dry laugh. ?I will never understand your sense of humor, Padawan mine.?
    [face_laugh]

I'm so glad the flowers finally bloomed. [face_love] And I really loved Qui liking Obi to his 'late-blooming flower.' Aww! [face_love]

Thanks for sharing this, Jedi-Gon! :D =D=
  7. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awwww...that was so sweet.

I loved Qui-Gon's gentle concern for Obi-Wan despite his own injuries. That's so very typical of him.

It's nice to see Obi-Wan learn even in the most dire of situations.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  8. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was very sweet. I loved the ending. At least they got to see the flowers!

Great job.
  9. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    Wonderful viggie [face_love]

How terrible it must be to be caught like that in the middle of nowhere.
    Am glad that someone came to rescue them :D
    And Mace knowing enough about them to bring a healer [face_laugh]

Great writing!
  10. Cole_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Awww, loved it! Ahah, I planted some flowers last night, kind of late but still beautiful. lol
  11. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Awwww, very sweet and mushy. Especially about Obi-Wan being Qui-Gon's late blooming flower. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.