main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Flu Sucks!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJSkywalker, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Swine flu was sooo mainstream. I got it before it was cool.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's why my doctor wasn't encouraging it; she said that so many people got the shot and were getting the flu anyway. Normally I would get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot.

Swine flu...I never got it, supposedly it's the same strain of flu that went around when I was a kid and there aren't too many Gen X'ers who are getting it. One of my sons had it at three years ago, about the same time that Michele Bachmann was blaming the outbreak on Obama.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I saw a news report in passing yesterday that said the vaccine is more effective in preventing Type A than Type B this year. Might have been on CNN's site.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As someone with an autism-spectrum disorder, this whole "vaccine shots cause autism" thing offends me. Not only has it been debunked, but it has an underlying feel of "I'd rather my children die than be autistic". Sure, it hasn't always been a bed of roses for my parents raising me, but that's what parenting is, isn't it?

MariahJSkywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Another year, another overblown flu scare, another massive diversion of medical funds to flu shots. Yawn.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Had the flu for a day. Sniffle. Tired. No biggy.

8. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    TypoCelchu had the flu last week even though he had gotten the flu shot. I don't get the flu shot and I haven't had it in 15 years, since the last time I had gotten the shot :p.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The U.S. and Canada are the only countries that recommend everyone (and not just those who are/are around the more susceptible) get flu shots. Yes, it is incredibly stupid and just wastes money and puts unnecessary strain on the system. A healthy 20-something like me who doesn't spend a lot of time around vulnerable people (mainly infants and the elderly, among others) shouldn't get one and cause shortages that potentially deprive those who would benefit more from the vaccine. If I get the flu, I am virtually guaranteed to fully recover; my grandma and my cousin's baby less so.

Never mind this current round is only 60% effective and obviously a new strain appears pretty much every year so people will just have to get a new one next year. I don't understand this overemphasis on crappy vaccines. The only flu shot I've gotten recently was the one for swine flu, which unlike the "normal" vaccine actually provides lasting protection.

10. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm getting over the flu--Tamilfu is a wonderful thing.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Is that Sri Lankan martial arts?

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah dude. This **** sucks. I've had it for THREE FREAKING WEEKS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    My boy's got it now. He's whiny and mucusy and gross. I can't blame him for the whining, but I do wish he was more fun. :p

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  14. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    *makes virtual soup*

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I got the flu

Vaccine today. My shoulder hurts.

16. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    You should ice-pack that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  18. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    "Tamiflu is an FDA-approved prescription flu medicine that attacks the flu at its source. Tamiflu doesn’t just treat the symptoms of flu that make you feel bad. Tamiflu fights the flu virus itself. This may help limit the flu’s ability to spread in your body.
    In fact, Tamiflu has been clinically proven to help you get better 30% (1.3 days) faster when taken within 48 hours of first symptoms. So the sooner you start Tamiflu, the sooner you may start feeling better, faster."

http://www.tamiflu.com/tamiflu-for-adults;jsessionid=9900DCE3943B5D194781CA3051931E51.gxeTam-m2

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/antivirals/summary-clinicians.htm