main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Following Takes Place Between 35:3:8 and 39:3:7 of the GCW. Events Occur in Real Time.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 3, 2013.

1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    As for Targets: yes, the main story takes place later, but it actually begins earlier, maybe yesterday, or the day before. In Chapter 1:

And in Chapter 2, we learn that Luke & Co. have:

More like two weeks hopelessly crammed with young adult novels and Marvel comics.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha, yes, that's the actual DS dialogue. I rather love Bevel's reaction, actually.

Since it seems it was Vader who told Palpatine, I think it's safe to assume it was Vader who told him about the exhaust port.

This is what I love about this project: one source answering another's question.

I'm assuming the order events from Palp's POV is:

-Vader reports
    -Summons Thrawn, etc to issue hit orders on Alliance leaders
    -Summons Bevel (last because it would take time to bring in the beetles, cages and cloning equipment).

Orman Tagge likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Let's not lie, that's some of the best dialogue KJA's ever written.

4. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I just remembered another source that's been overlooked. "Dodonna's Story" was a nice bit of short fiction in WEG's Galaxy Guide 1 about his struggle to find a flaw in the Death Star's plans overnight.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would track well with the BOY happening the day after the Falcon's arrival.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    When you have to retcon the retcon, it was probably a bad idea to introduce the retcon in the first place--especially since it wasn't trying to reconcile any contradictions! :p

Classic Star Wars has him "join" the Alliance not long before the evacuation of Yavin, which is only six months after ANH in the most recent version of the timeline. IIRC, the New Essential Guide to Characters retconned this into having taken place while he was already a member of the Alliance, so as to account for his pre-ANH appearances. (In X-Wing, I think?) So he was already with the Rebels, and it's not unreasonable for him to have been on Yavin at the time.

That's certainly possible. I do seem to remember a reference to the prequel-era Wolhanian expedition (from the ROTS visual dictionary) bringing back some piranha beetles, but maybe that was just a fan theory...

I think it might be possible to accommodate this reference...recall that in the GFFA, a week can be as short as five days, depending on what calendar one uses. So "almost" two weeks could be as little as eight days. It can be shortened from there depending on whether you choose to interpret this as eight days from their return to Yavin after the first four missions books or eight days from the end of ANH. Many of the Marvel comics can then be placed after chapter 3 of Rebel Force but before chapter 4.

I'm loathe to give the characters downtime in such a crowded era, but I think it can work. The two Science Adventure books, which have Luke on Yavin, can be tossed into this eight-nine day period.

Galaxy Guide 5 had Palpatine's agents having to track Lemelisk down on Hefi before he was brought to Coruscant, so that would have taken some time as well.

TC

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think the Ackbar retcon involves his double-duty with the Mon Cal Navy and Alliance Navy, which only merge after Mon Calamari joins the Alliance. He's promoted from Commander to Admiral over the development of the B-Wing which was, what, about 8-9 mths ABY? (Which matches nicely with the Rebellion comic set about that time where's he's an Admiral).

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    35:3:12

Departing from Thyferra, our heroes travel to Delrakkin, where the ISD Liquidator has initiated an attack on the Imperial citizens of the planet, using X-Wings to attempt to blame the assault on the Rebels. One of the Rebels manages to steal one of the X-Wings during the course of the battle and infiltrate the Liquidator with it.

Severely damaging the ship's hangar bay, the Rebel manages to raid secret holotapes from Admiral Terno's room before escaping back to the planet to rejoin the others aboard the Falcon.

The Liquidator takes off into hyperspace as the heroes attempt to unravel the nature of the Imperial efforts on Delrakkin with the local natives. They discover it's destination: the Yavin system. (Missions #3: Attack on Delrakkin)

The Liquidator's forces begin a search of the Yavin system in an attempt to locate the Rebel base. Meanwhile Skeezer escapes from Yavin Base, stealing back his Carrack cruiser as the Falcon attempts to stop it from alerting the Liquidator to Yavin 4.

After a confrontation on Yavin 8, the Carrack is stopped, Skeezer is killed and the Rebel with the X-Wing is captured aboard the Liquidator. However, he manages to escape and destroy the ISD by sabotaging it's reactor while still surviving himself. Terno also manages to survive in an escape pod.

On Yavin 4, new celebrations last into the night over this newest victory. (Missions #4: Destroy the Liquidator)

Luke becomes the 37th person to request from Leia a memorial service for those who died during the Battle of Yavin. The packing up of base assets has begun and the search for the next base is beginning. (Journals: The Fight For Justice)

Missions #3 summary from Wookieepedia:
    Over the planet Delrakkin, in the Star Destroyed Liquidator, Admiral Termo watches a holotape recorded by Grand Moff Tarkin before his untimely death. Upon viewing the tape, he orders the crew to fly the ship to the far side of Delrakkin's nearest moon. There, the Imperials prepare to attack Delrakkin disguised as Rebel forces.

Meanwhile, the Millennium Falcon, following a trail of contaminated bacta from Thyferra to Delrakkin, enters the Delrakkin system and comes under fire from Imperial X-Wings. The Falcon is damaged and forced to land, but one of the Rebels aboard takes a Y-Wing to the skies with Q-7N, and battles the Imperials. Though the Rebel and Sevenen are able to thin the bogus "Rebel Forces", their ship is hit, and they are forced to eject.

On foot, the encounter and defeat more Imperials. Eventually, they come across some of the native Delrakkins, and are forced to prove their worth. The Rebel does so by fighting and defeating Gwann, the Delrakkin champion. The Delrakkins aid the Rebel in stealing an Imperial ship, which the Rebel then flies to the Liquidator. There, the Rebel destroys the remaining Imperial X-Wings, and steals two holotapes from Admiral Termo's desk. The Rebel then returns to Delrakkin and the Falcon.

On the Falcon the group view the holotapes from the Liquidator, and discover that Tarkin was working on a new gravity well technology. They also discover that the Liquidator was ordered to search for the Death Star at Yavin in the event of Tarkin's absence. Realizing that the Imperials would already be en route, the Falcon races back to Yavin.

And Missions #4:
    The Liquidator arrives in the Yavin system, and begins scounting the inhabitable moons in the area, starting with Yavin 8. Meanwhile, the Millennium Falcon enters the area and prepares to destroy an Imperial probe sent to Yavin 4. It does so, and Captain Han Solo transmits a fake message back to the Liquidator, claiming that Yavin 4 is clear.

As this is happening, Captain Skeezer escapes from his cell in the Massassi temple, and hijacks his Carrack Cruiser. As he leaves, he fires on the Millennium Falcon forcing it to land. The Rebels realize that they must stop Skeezer before he reaches the Liquidator.

Along with Q-7N, a Rebel sets off after Skeezer in an T-65 X-Wing. Skeezer is forced to land on Yavin 8, where he attempts to make contact the the recently established Imperial garrison there. The Rebel, however, destroys the garrison, but is captured by the Liquidator.

On board the Imperial Star Destroyer, the Rebel escapes with the aid of Sevenen, and manages to destroy the ship. Skeezer is killed in the process, but Termo and Tix are able to escape. The Rebel returns to Yavin 4 and celebrates.

I hereby declare this week "party week", ha.

Some observations:
    -Is it kind of weird that it's the droids who always want to play games? The idea of computers wanting to play "video games" more than humans is...odd, heh.
    -A nice detail with Missions #4's cover: the X-Wing's colors have been greyed out, depicting the generic X-Wings that the Imperials were using (and later stolen by the Rebel), instead of a Red Squadron stripe on it had they kept the stock photo the same.
    -To prevent enemy X-Wings from attacking a power station, the Rebel shoots the station with his X-Wing's weapons.
    -Missions #3 has out first "It's a trap!"
    -Skeezer has been imprisoned for "several days".
    -First time we've "seen" AT-AT's... and I think this is the first time Luke has seen them too (at least, the first time he's encountered them in person)
    -There's a mention of an A-WIng at Yavin Base, but I believe this was retconned into a R-22 Spearhead in the Yavin Base cross section of Inside the Worlds of...

-I've placed the note from Luke about the memorials and packing here because Luke mentions "past few days" on Yavin, and the day and a half he had spent there previously didn't seem like enough, and he couldn't have done so until now if not then.

Additionally, it would make sense that the first sign of a major Imperial presence in the system would kick start evacuation procedures after all the celebrations.

Missions #3: Attack on Delrakkin & Missions #4: Destroy the Liquidator have not been reprinted outside their original subscription availability, but can often be found second hand on ebay or Amazon, etc.

9. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Are you sure that's just one day? I mean, our PoV is that of the Millennium Falcon passengers (do Han, Luke and Leia do anything at all in these books by the way?), so a journey from Thyferra to Delrakkin and from there to Yavin sounds like more than 24 hours, and that's just for travel time.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're all along a major hyperspace lane (well, Yavin is off to the side, but you get my meaning). Thyferra and Delrakkin are relatively close to one another, and the heroes are only there long enough to participate in the battle and ask the locals about the bacta lead.

Likewise, the Yavin conflict doesn't last very long either.

Linking the two is Terno's perspective, which seems to be a short period of time. The Falcon also seems to arrive at Yavin relatively soon after the Liquidator (the Liquidator heads for Yavin 8 and launches probes for the other moons- the Falcon exits hyperspace and detects the Liquidator over Yavin 8 and intercepts the probe heading for Yavin 4).

If Delrakkin and Yavin aren't the same day, then Thyferra and Delrakkin have to be on the same day. However, the events on Thyferra are more extensive than those on Delrakkin.

As I mentioned earlier, if not for Skeezer's "several days" comment*, I'd have put Thyferra, Delrakkin and Yavin on the same day, since the later two's events seemed so brief.

*And since he's just waking up from fainting at the Doctor Chewbacca gag, we can play with his disoriented nature a bit to fudge the "several days" into the minimum timespan.

11. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    As I haven't read those books, I don't really know; I was merely making an observation. They sound interesting, though. For the price they appear to go, I see no harm in buying some.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're (mostly) easier to find now than they used to be. I think I have multiple copies of the first 4 books as the result of ebay lots from 7 or 8 years ago.

The Episode 1 Adventures books (effectively the series that followed up on Missions), on the other hand, are nightmares to locate because they split the game content and storybooks into separate books, and 90% of the time the sellers can't tell the difference between the two.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    DSII info -

Star Wars #3 has the half-completed Death Star II already in orbit

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting. That series has an uncanny knack for addressing issues being brought up in this forum just prior to an issue's release...

Anyways, I don't have an update for today. We're kind of in a chronological holding pattern for most sources until we can hit Target's "2 weeks" point which allows us to kick off Marvel, Scoundrels, etc. There's some short stories I'll be bringing up, though most don't deal with the Big 3 or Yavin Base. Eventually we can see if anything can get filled in back here as we move forward (this would be an example of the "broad strokes" thing I brought up in the OP).

15. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    So, this is when the "Star Warriors" get some rest. Picture Han and Chewie relaxing under the Yavin sun with piña coladas in coconut shells.

Another one of my big continuity questions has been answered.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's possible the two Pizzazz titles could happen now- but I don't have copies of those to check the details on (EDIT- I forgot! Arcana Historica has them online!). Additionally, TalonCard had the appealing suggestion that they happen while Han is off doing the events of Scoundrels, since they only feature Luke & Leia.

Marvel #7 (coming up in about week) also has a very interesting timeline reference: that Crimson Jack's crew are the first "passengers" (unwanted though they might be) since Luke and Kenobi.

It's hard to take that 100% literally if we count the Unknown Rebel and Q-7N of Missions (though we could stretch the interpretation of events to not consider them "passengers"), but it would encourage limiting the number of stories with Han having passengers aboard the Falcon set before Marvel #7 in a timeline order.

17. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Hmmm.... Han's Wookieepedia entry places Crimson Jack's assault and the whole Aduba Starhoppers intermezzo prior to the Rebel Force events. I'm guessing it would be prudent to have it happen before the 2-week mark?

P.S.: You mean Keeper's World and The Kingdom of Ice, right?

18. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    The Pizzazz titles also have Artoo melting down thanks to shoddy post-Yavin repairs, so they take place fairly close to ANH. It may be working at cross purposes to that timeline indication (since Artoo is operating trouble-free in these books) but the two Science Adventures leave the big three on Yavin while the droids are off on their own adventure--this might be a good place to slot them in.

I had forgotten about the "passengers" reference, but that's a good one!

I don't know how much of this Quest is taking into account, but I split the chapters of Rebel Force #1 that are implied to take place two weeks after Yavin from the bulk of the story to fit in some of the Marvel comics. (Luke implies that he, and probably the rest of the Star Warriors, have been mostly hanging around the Rebel base for two weeks, rather than jumping around to Drexxel and whatnot.) Rebel Force tends to leapfrog around the timeline, especially in the later installments.

TC

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, due to the notable circumstances, I'm going to follow TC & TLG's lead and do those opening chapters of RF#1, then break for Marvel #7 and Scoundrels and Pizzazz (not sure yet where Aduba will fall just yet). Then bring the rest of RF in later on.

Yep. I'll read those tonight. I've also just ordered the last 4 Missions books and the two Science Adventures so hopefully I can make some sense of this Vader craziness.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I couldn't of said it any better myself, blackmyron. IIRC, the exact period when Mon Mothma promotes Ackbar to commander of the Alliance Navy is +/- 1 ABY. A few months early works, as the exact timeline isn't properly defined. As you point out, the retcon that made Ackbar "admiral of the Mon Cal Navy" gives us wiggle room if his title appears a bit early. I for one am excited when this thread get a bit farther down the timeline so that I can chime in about my favorite admiral!

--Adm. Nick

21. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Could Keeper's World and Kingdom of Ice take place between Marvel Star Wars #7 and #8? The Pizzazz stories are very short and fit the theme of looking for a new Rebel base in SW #8.

22. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    That's where a lot of us have had them on the timeline for years. Scoundrels came out recently, though, and it seems to take place during a break in Marvel #7, right after Han is hijacked by Crimson Jack but before he ends up on Aduba. It takes up about two weeks of time, whereas the Aduba adventure is relatively short, so my thinking now is that the Pizzazz stories probably take place while Han is getting his Clooney on in Scoundrels. (All during Marvel #7, and within the pages of Rebel Force #1. :D ) This also gives Luke some time to get back to Yavin before he leaves again to scout for Rebel bases. Again, I can't speak for Quest for the purposes of this thread, but this seems like the most logical placement.

TC

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's the approach I'm going to take.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kind of a busy couple days so just a quick note today that we're now 1 Week ABY. Next weekend will start to get our heroes into some trouble.

25. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    What about The Stenax Shuffle (SW #70)? The flashback's supposed to take place sometime soon after the Battle of Yavin.