main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Following Takes Place Between 35:3:8 and 39:3:7 of the GCW. Events Occur in Real Time.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 3, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Which would really be odd as he otherwise mentions tons of relatively obscure EU stuff, so I find it hard to believe he missed that the Executor would only be active by 6 Months after ANH.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, even issue 1 (2 months ABY) implies that the Rebels are headquartered on the Redemption, which seems to overlook the evacuation of Yavin 4, doesn't it?

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The Rebels always seemed to have had the mobile fleet base as well, beside a main ground based HQ, plus there were several evacuations of Yavin 4, the last one apparently after the Executor showed up.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, at first I thought we were just looking at the Rebel fleet being active while Yavin Base was also still active, but the subsequent issues have made that extremely unlikely.

The most recent issue having Wedge mention that "We all just barely made it off of Yavin alive.", which would not be applicable to the "fake" Yavin evacuation of SW Kids or the early "get command VIPs out of the system" evac.

The options basically come down to either ignoring the foreward's dating and one 2 months reference early in the actual story, or retconning another Yavin evac, an early launch of the Executor (or the early launch of another SSD that predates the Executor despite the Executor somehow being "the first enough" to have the class named after it) & Rebel Force's "Luke hasn't heard from Ben" + "months later" issue, amongst other details.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On a side note: Valance spent 5 weeks between Marvel 16 & Marvel 27. And Marvel 16 needs enough time after Aduba for Starkiller Kid to mature and get his girl preggers.

Joy!

However, continuity headaches aside, I must say that I've been enjoying reading the Marvel series a lot more than I did ten years ago when I first took a crack at the ALTA TPBs.

The pre-Wheel arcs are still a slog and the Wheel arc itself is too long but the series has a nice momentum from there so far.

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    By the way, what do you mean by "tons of relatively obscure EU stuff"? I thought that the series's content was rather movie-ish than EU-ish (and by that I mean "mostly based on movie material so anyone can understand") .

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Lots of small things keep showing up or getting mentioned. Just as examples
    Lord Tion as the former Commander of Vaders ship (from the ANH Audio Drama), Golan battle platforms (from WEG), Kuat (again originally WEG), Lianna (WEG), one of the Rebel pilots is a Saurin (a Trandoshan subspecies) , Coruscant Underworld Police (from TCW) etc.

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well yes, now that you mention it, yes. These are indeed EU references, but I don't find them particularly obscure. Tion has been reused in the Star Wars: Empire comic series, for example, and something that appeared in TCW is still fresh in the minds. I think a reference is only obscure when it refers to something long-forgotten or that made a single appearance. Of course, that's merely my POV.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    :D

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry- I've... got ...a plan

(Just might need an extra day or two to implement it- but once I do, it will actually put us ahead of schedule, I think...)

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I hope it's a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

12. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Just don't forget, "months" pass between Classic Star Wars #11 and 12 too, according to Shadow Stalker... ;)

TC

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One evil at a time- that's the best I can do ;)

(that actually might not be so difficult though- once we get past the VQ 1 month crunch (which might just have to go altogether thanks to Scoundrels) we get a few months of breathing room til the Yavin evac 6 month date)

14. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    So, Vader's Quest is supposed to have happened already? Isn't it necessarily contemporaneous with the Marvel issue where Vader learns Luke's name, because it also includes that scene?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm behind on that- the next update will delve i to the past month of Marvels that I fell behind as well as VQ, which overlaps with Marvel 35.

VQ was supposed to happen in 1 month ABY but Scoundrels and Valance's 5 weeks here may make that impossible to maintain (and may mean VQ hasn't actually happened yet, or is more "recent" than we thought).

We'll be up to date and sticking to real time again shortly. Hopefully by Monday night (would have been today if not for this Valance hitch- my fix requires some additional reading I hadn't planned on).

16. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    In response to a question from Janek Zech on his Star Wars Timeline Gold facebook page, Nathan Butler recently said that he asked (presumably Leland) about the dating of the Star Wood series because of Wedge's line about barely escaping Yavin and he said the answer he received is that LFL considers the original 2-month dating to be correct. :confused:

17. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Well, the real question would be: is it correct for the series as a whole, or is it the starting point and therefore correct for the first issues only?

I'd like to note that I haven't read the series. I'm going by what I've read here. But if the Rebels have conclusively left Yavin in it, 2 months is not correct.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Can't stretch it out- Han's subplot runs concurrently and is not that long.

19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Then I guess you are right in ignoring the 2 month dating.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Quick update: I know I said last Monday, but I will have something for this Tuesday. I'm finishing off reading the RF series (or, at least the first 5 books, since the Essential Readers Companion states that Allegiance happens between them, but I'm still going to double check that when I reread that book [funny how it's only ever Zahn books I seem to ever reread...]) and want to squeeze in reading some more of the Missions books (as I have to slot at least some of the last arc in sometime soon, since those guys are still in the escape pod...) and Scoundrels' Luck before locking everything down.

The good news is that Valance's 5 week stake-out on Junction means we really aren't that far behind by time I fill those in with the above sources and the Marvel arcs I haven't posted yet- and I've found a couple break points in the RF series that, IMO, are more natural to the existing Book 1 break I was taking the suggestion of earlier, so I'll be revising a couple of the first month dates (however, this should flow very nicely between RF and Marvel 7/Scoundrels/Aduba/etc- so it will be for the benefit of the project).

The bad news is I just realized that, at some point in the next year or so, I'm going to have to reread SWG: Ruins of Dantooine. [face_worried] ;)

21. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Dear sweet mother of Waru, I had forgotten about that. That is literally the worst Star Wars book ever printed.

TC

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The New Rebellion, Imperial Commando: 501st, and the Clone Wars Gambit duology beg to differ.

RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  23. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Pfft, they all had their moments. Although I'll admit that if everything terrible about Gambit was in one book, it would probably win. As it is, the awfulness is diluted enough to earn it second place.

But if there's one page that isn't infuriatingly bland or even a single good line in Ruins of Dantooine, I'll eat The Hat. Even the Star Wars works that are considered the worst have given us some ill-conceived but colorful characters that end up being legendary in their awfulness. Jaxxon. Waru. Trioculus. Zorba the Hutt. Grand Moff Hissa. The talking flower from Red Harvest. Ruins of Dantooine gives us nothing.

TC

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It gave us some more Nym, but not enough to offset the rest.

It makes a nice companion piece to TAS- they're both more interested in detailing a planet's wildlife and Eco system than telling a story that isn't boring ;).

RC-1991 likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As Quest mentioned any book that actually has Nym in it has to have some merit. Lando hitting on the Mistflier is kind of fun, as is the outright scary implication on what the Imperial Corps of Bioengineers job actually is. Though yeah it still is a really bad book.