main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Fool & the Useful Idiot (Dark Nest era) Updated 12/19/2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trepidation, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Jag is so darn noble here. And I'm not saying that is a bad thing. He's been stripped of so much but he still retains that certain amount of dignity.
    And I'm glad you still haven't killed off the hope for Jaina.

2. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm loving these daily updates.

Nice to see Tarfang. :D

Looks like the next update should have lots action...

3. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I can't wait to see Cem's reunion with his family. :)[:D]

I also really like your Jag. He isn't idealized or made into a Gary Stu. He's a desperate man who still has managed to retain his self-identity. He really doesn't deserve what's been happening to them. [:D]

I hope this Solo-inspired plan isn't as harebrained as many of Han's others...[face_mischief]

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Trep, this is ... is ... superfantasticawesomelyincrediblywonderful!

*bows in respect*

I am not worthy, FF Master!

oldj

5. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks for the comments:

Jaynasolofel; Chimpo the Sith; Solo and Fel; princess of naboo; and Inara

Here's more...

Edit: And OldJ...who sneaked in a comment while I was formatting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?Madam Fel.? A soft and emotionless voice prodded.

Syal had felt the room pressure drop with a cool sudden draft resulting from the activation of the covert entrance moments earlier, and knew she would have a visitor. She went straight into the mode that Soontir, affectionately, called Fehd?at. It was a Chiss word that described one of many types of snow squaws based on severity. Had there been warning alarms attached to her mindset, they would have been rattling the entire estate.

?Madam Fel.? Shawnkyr whispered again. ?We must depart.?

Syal altered her direction and moved right over to the shadows where Shawnkyr stood. She placed an arm on her elbow and looked straight into the glowing red eyes.

?I know, dear.? She said softly. She held a small smile as if using the expression to fight off the stress and the worry. ?But, I was not going to leave without this.? She held up a holocube. ?Cherith and Davin cannot exist solely in an old woman?s mind. I cannot show Cem my memories. I can show him this.?

Shawnkyr glanced to the holo and understood the necessity. She moved her sight to Wynnsa, already, standing near the living quarters archway that led back to the clandestine exit. The blonde teenager appeared anxious to leave if not due to the risk, then, surely, to escape the rote existence among the Chiss. Strangely, at this moment, Shawnkyr was not offended by the thought.

?Yes Mam.?

?How is Soontir?? Syal asked quickly without letting go of the Chiss pilot?s arm.

?In good spirits, Mam.? Shawnkyr responded with a bit of a grin of her own. Syal absorbed the exhibited confidence before sweeping away and throwing on a heavy parka.

Shawnkyr moved to Wynnsa?s side and nudged her forward towards the underground exit. When the young woman glanced to her in response, she nodded to confirm that it was, truly, time to leave. Both turned at the sound of an exaggerated exhale in the living quarters to see Syal taking a final look around; then she walked purposely to a closet just visible in the anti-room of the front entrance and activated a wall mounted electronic device. She stared at the unit for a moment before walking quickly to join the other two.

?I do not believe security will be an issue with your estate from this point forward.?

Syal shook her head. ?That is not a security device.? She said in passing while moving forward. ?I just activated the form explosives that line the foundation of the dwelling. Any unauthorized entrance will result in an unfortunate accident. It will be assumed that Wynnsa and I are under the rubble. We will be afforded more time while they search in confirmation.?

Shawnkyr arched her brow while following Syal to the exit. She looked over to Wynnsa to see a similar impressed expression.

?Incidentally, Major?? Syal said while looking over her shoulder, but still moving forward. ??how, exactly, are we getting off World??

?General Baron Fel had contingencies in place.? Shawnkyr answered. ?He assumed that all vessels in his name and under his command would be watched if not confiscated in the event that a move was made against the Family. That is why he had the New Horizon constructed under an alias, and through a proxy.?

?New Horizon.? Syal said to herself without slowing down the stairway leading into the ice cellar. ?I like it. I like it a lot.?

?The name is but a portion of its appeal, Mam.? Shawnkyr responded in a low approving voice while moving quicker to take the lead and pulling the charric rifle from her shoulder. ?I believe in my new home-to-be, they say that...? Shawnkyr paused to think. ??it is armed to? the teeth.? She shrugged after the remarks as if not understanding

6. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Yay, another update.

I really liked the Shawnkyr/Syal interaction.

7. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks for reading. Syal can be a tough broad ;) when she needs to be...
    Cheers
    Trep

8. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    This chapter just made me happy. I loved Syal being so tough...it's how I prefer her, as opposed to emotional, always crying Syal. She's the wife of Soontir Fel - she's tougher than many people give her credit for.

Wyn and Cem were awesome - I really hope Cem makes it - he needs to get to know his family!

Soontir was :cool:

SHAWNKYR!!! :D[face_peace]

9. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    A great update. You post so fast! :) Do you write the chapters this quickly?

10. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Awesome. Just great.

S.

11. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    I agree...Soontir wouldn't be interested in a whiner or a weak minded crybaby...I think Syal's a lot tougher than most. You're going to love Cem's next act...

This one I'm writing as I go...I try to keep each post about the same size (6 or 7 pages on WORD at 12 pt. font single spaced)...and it takes about an hour to do. When I started, I had no idea what direction I'd go...but now I have a definite plot in mind with a finish... Thanks for reading...New post coming up shortly...

You're too kind...thanks...

Cheers,
    Trep

12. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    A little bit of action today... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?Say the word, Fel.?

?Not quite yet, Sir.? Jag responded while taking a growing interest in the system scan between them as they lumbered under the aft hull of the bulky mineral hauler on the outskirts of the Csilla system.

Han cringed. ?Look.? He said while continuing to work the yoke absently and turning partially to face Jag. ?All these ?sirs? and ?Captain Solo?s? were amusing for a while, but you and I have known each other for, what, eight?nine years? Do me a favor and just call me Han or Solo.?

Jag glanced up from the scan and stared before nodding. ?Thank you?Solo.?

?Fantastic.? Han said with sarcasm while turning back to the forward viewer to gauge their distance from the bottom of large freighter?s hull. ?Of course, when all this mess is straightened out and my daughter gets all googlie eyes with you again, you?ll be right back where you started.?

Jag arched a brow and stared to the ex-smuggler until Han acknowledged him.

?What?? He said. ?Kid, I?m not letting my only daughter spend the rest of her life as a bug. When the time comes, I?ll get her back.?

?When the time comes, Sir?? Jag replied knowing full well how he addressed the man. ??I will be right here with you.?

?Nope.? Han responded. ?That?s the Princess?s seat. You?re welcome on my wing though.?

Jag looked like he was about to respond, but something caught his attention on the system scan near the surface of Csilla causing him to make a quick glance to the chron. He pointed to the screen and brought up a tighter magnification.

?My mother, sister, and Major Nuruodo.? He said while painting the moving ship blue for easy visibility. Han leaned over for a better view.

?What?s their story??

Jag paused while he observed all the other traffic on their trajectory and, mentally, evaluated what military vessels could give them a problem.

?They are depending on us to?make a lot of noise to draw away defenses from their exit point.?

Han nodded with a hint of a smile hearing the stuffy kid use a vernacular.

?Make a lot of noise, huh?? Han glanced to the scan again. ?That we can do.?

Jag, again, glanced up to the console chron. ?That we can do.? He said with a slight grin back to Han. ?Starting now. You are free to remove us from the convoy?Solo.?

?Yes, Sir.? Han said with a smirk. ?Let?s go make some noise.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cem Fel sat patiently dividing his attention between the illuminated dial of his chron and the northern sky. When his own, personal, countdown reached twenty seconds, he stood and started making a slow trot towards the edge of the ice shelf. The equipment he wore was binding and heavy, but it was buoyed by the adrenalin that flowed through his body.

This is crazy. He told himself, but there was no holding back the invigoration and the attached smile under his breather mask. The show of teeth widened significantly as he saw the vivid flashes shoot across the plateau when they reflected off the pristine snow draped over the glacier. Then, he felt the intense wave of heat that accompanied each of the fifteen simultaneous bursts or pure energy. He could only imagine the intensity of the heat as it pierced his protective insulated suit.

With a final drive into a sprint towards the edge of the ice shelf, he pushed off both feet and dove over the side head first.

The fifteen M-Trinity Incendiaries that he had, meticulously, placed along the stress fractures on the glacier wasted no time in turning solid ice into liquid and vapor. The rumbling of collapsing weight was only out done by the growing roar of cascading waves; all of which was chasing Cem down the side of the rise with ferocity and rapidity. He dare not look back to see what was approaching less he truly realize just how outlandish this whole idea had been.

His

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

You were right. I loved Cem! And Soontir was ready and waiting. How typical for a Fel to be prepared for all contingencies.

The Han/Jag was great..."googlie eyes" [face_laugh]

Great description of Cem's swim - I could picture it in my head. Right now I'm sitting here hoping he doesn't get hypothermia.

I'm so glad you update quickly, Trep. If only I could get some of that motivation from you. [face_batting]

Can't wait for more!

14. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Great talk between Han and Jag :D

Go Cem!!! He is such a good Fel :D

Great stuff :)

15. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    Glad you liked...Motivation hasn't been the key with me...I just set down a schedule and bang it out each morning before heading to work. Although, a brimming mug of Idonesian Sumatra coffee ground just short of Espresso is a secret weapon in my regard... :D

Thanks Chimpo...This is one of those posts that I would love to see on the big screen...it would be a wild ride...

Cheers,
    Trep

16. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Oh yeah I would like to see it too on the big screen :D

17. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Looks like it's almost time for the Baron and Han to meet up. :D

18. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    :cool:

Breathtaking action, Trep! Everything was so real, I actually felt cold.

Your characterizations are so good, I could hear the dialogue, too.

*out of breath*

oldj

19. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    This is just as good as DD and Triad. The banter between Jag and Han was priceless.

S.

20. jaynasolofel

jaynasolofel Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2003
    Woo-hoo, the action is engrossing, I feel like my hair is as wind-blown as Jagged's!

As for yesterday's post - 4 clawcraft and "armed to the teeth". NICE! :D

I like all the precise timing of the plan, Jag appears to have it worked out to the minute.

'night
    JaY

21. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Cem's action sequence on the big screen would be amazing.
    Nicely done.
    :)

22. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    *har* Yes mam it is... I think you will enjoy the banter and what occurs...It's not in the very next post, but soon after.

You're way too kind...I don't know what happened here...I was just going to do one post as a follow up to the challenge thread, and this thing took on a life of its own. I, even, have a pretty cool conclusion in mind, but to get to it...there is a winding path that will probably turn this into a much longer thread than I wanted... :oops:

THANKS!!! Just as fun to write... Glad you're enjoying...I'm going to skate on my arrogance and suggest my remedy to this Denning creation eventually...

Fel's, precise timing? Who knew... :p Thanks for reading...If you thought that action was good fun...wait a few posts [face_mischief]

I don't know if you can tell, but I like Cem. We know so little about him that we can mold him into whatever we want. I hope someone decides to expound on him a bit more in future PRofic...and here for that matter.

23. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    I know Inara is going to dig Syal in this post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Syal glanced, sporadically, to Shawnkyr in an effort to gauge their progress. She was adept at reading scans, and knew how to delineate a military vessel from a commercial or privately own ship, but she was scant on knowledge as to what they could handle and what they could not.

Shawnkyr offered no assistance in making the determination. The Chiss trained pilot never altered her only expression; focus. Syal should have known better than to assume that she could read Shawnkyr by her face. After all, she was pure Chiss, and had been trained by Jagged. Syal frequently developed the same frustration trying to determine the path of her son?s mind.

?We should lose most of our company very shortly.? Shawnkyr said dryly after a glance to the console chronometer. It was as if the pale blue presence was reading her mind.

?Jagged??

Shawnkyr managed a glance over to Syal while they continued to hold their position of a slow lumber in the moderately busy space lanes. The traffic was enough to delay inquiries as to their registration and intentions. That was, definitely, to their favor.

?Colonel Fel and Major Forsan should be initiating their efforts as we speak.?

?Shawnkyr.? Syal said with amusement. ?I believe you can now refer to Major Forsan as Major Fel. I would consider it a personal favor if you did. I?m sure Cem would welcome it as well.?

She nodded to the request and paused before a deep breath. ?I have taken the liberty of reviewing Major Fel?s military jacket.? She said without emotion. ?You have reason to be very proud of him. It was quite impressive, even by Chiss standards.?

?We are proud of him.? Syal responded. ?But, it has little to do with the military. Just as we are proud of you.?

The remarks caused Shawnkyr to move her attention from the system scan and stare on the Fel matriarch.

Syal smiled back to her. ?Do not levy that look of confusion in my direction. You know that my husband and I have always considered you part of our family. It is not everyone that we invite to our home for meals and discussion.? Syal said with a continued warm smile. ?Jagged has often referred to you as a sister, of sorts. You frustrate him, at least, as much as Cherith ever did.?

Shawnkyr nodded in respect as if it was truly one of the most precious gifts she had ever received. In her mind, it was.

?Frustrate him??

?You push him to be better, Major Nuruodo.? Syal interpreted. ?He has been fortunate to have such a friend, Shawnkyr.? The use of the two different monikers was intentional.

?Ah.? Shawnkyr responded with a nod. ?Push?perhaps an understatement at times.?

Syal laughed and stared absently ahead at the, still, stationary commercial freighter filling their forward viewer. ?My son Davin would have enjoyed your friendship as much as Jagged does. They were very similar, those two.? She said in recollection. ?Of course, they would have outnumbered you.?

?It would have made no difference.? Shawnkyr replied without delay. ?If he was like Jagged, then it would only have given me twice the pleasure to torment them both equally, regardless of the additional work.?

?I don?t doubt that in the least.? Syal said with delight in having conversation about her lost eldest son, and feeling so positive in the process.

She would have continued, but noticed the Chiss pilot lean forward in her pilot chair and gaze solidly at the system scan before nodding with the whisper of a grin.

?Right on schedule.? She said quietly while glancing up to assure that the moving designations on the screen matched the vessels she had pegged in the viewer. ?You will want to make sure you are secured, mam. And, you as well, Wynnsa.? She managed a quick glance over her shoulder to the youngest of the Fel?s. ?We are leaving now.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Each succeeding chapter just makes me happier and happier. This is fast becoming my favorite story to read on these boards...not that the insane number of Fels has anything to do with it...[face_whistling]

What I loved about this chapter:

The Syal/Shawnkyr interaction. I love seeing her so close to the Fel family. [face_batting] Her relationship with Jag is wonderful here, and I love how Syal sees it, and then mentions that Davin would have liked her too. :_| And of course Cem will like Shawnkyr...he's Cem. [face_peace]

?It would have made no difference.? Shawnkyr replied without delay. ?If he was like Jagged, then it would only have given me twice the pleasure to torment them both equally, regardless of the additional work.?

[face_laugh] How very true. Shawnkyr obviously has Jag's number.

Wyn is a great mix of rebellious teenager mixed with Chiss values. Good thing she wasn't completely rebel or the Fels would have been kicked out long before that.

?Csilla Control.? She said with conviction and in a clear voice. ?This is the pleasure craft New Horizon. We are not interested in returning to the proper lanes or following the proper protocol. And, we most definitely, will not be making a proper exit. However, you may consider this, without question, a proper Good Bye.?

I almost cheered when I read this. Go Syal! Now all she needs is some piloting lessons (which I'm sure she has), then she could ostensibly jump into a clawcraft too. Then they would be the "Fightin' Fels.' Ooh. That was cheesy. :p

Baron and Cem were great. I love how he said he put some of the char marks on the Falcon's hull. And how he was curious of how Cem knew about "swamp mud." [face_laugh] BTW, I might have missed it, but how old is Cem in this fic? And what does he look like? Or are you keeping away from physical descriptions to stay close to canon?

?He?d be bound to stretch the seams on my stuff.?

[face_laugh]:D:cool:

Going back to this: Syal said with delight in having conversation about her lost eldest son, and feeling so positive in the process.

All your characterizations are top notch, but Syal just really shines here. I'll tell you why I think so: Syal lost three children (and a fourth if you count Cem because she hardly ever saw him). She isn't going to break down when someone mentions a dead child to her. In fact, she'd be proud of them and their sacrifices and be glad to speak of them. Syal would not clam up. Thank you, Trep, for painting such a great Syal.

I always imagined her to be a lot harsher than in most fics. I could go more in depth about her, but I'll just quote myself from something else I wrote:

Jaina would not make the mistake of lumping her as a mere housewife. Syal Fel had left her home as a teenager and made a name for herself in the Empire. Going from being the daughter of a fueling station owner to the galaxy?s most famous holostar was nothing to be scoffed at.

She had gone on to capture the heart of one of the Empire?s fiercest warriors, had vanished for his sake to seek shelter with Thrawn, and had built a home for her family on Nirauan, Thrawn?s military outpost.

Syal had raised six children, mostly by herself, as the Baron had become increasingly involved with Imperial and Chiss affairs over the years. She had established herself in an alien society, had made friends ? and enemies ? among them, and she had sent all six of her children to serve in the military. Three had never returned to her.

The Solo household had nearly collapsed with the death of one child, but Syal continued surviving, continued thriving.

So that's why I appreciate such a tough Syal. [:D] A lot of people forget her personal experiences, and it just makes me really sad to see her character assassinated. You can tell I've given the Fel family a lot of thought. :p

[/rant]

Back to your fic:

What I didn't like about this chapter:

It was too cold fo

25. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    First of all:

I don't know what happened here...I was just going to do one post as a follow up to the challenge thread, and this thing took on a life of its own. I, even, have a pretty cool conclusion in mind, but to get to it...there is a winding path that will probably turn this into a much longer thread than I wanted...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I know your pain...

And now to the post - I'm running out of superlatives, but I'll write a coherent reply later. For the moment:

Yay, Syal!

Soontir's totally ticked that Han Solo is saving his butt. I LOVE IT !!

In fact, I love the whole thing - but you already know that.

oldj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.