main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Foolish and the Weak: A Corran Horn Story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Ejedir, Apr 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ejedir

Ejedir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2000
    Sorry, none today, two tomorrow.

Ejedir

2. padawan feline

padawan feline Jedi Master star 3

May 26, 1999
    Hmm....I don't know if my other post showed up or not, so i shall say it again. I love Corran Horn! He is such an awesome character. This story is great, I hope you two will keep writing!

3. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    Corran sighed the next morning as the transport slowly rose. It was carrying his father to the other side of Corellia on an undercover mission. Corran loved his father and knew his work in CorSec was important---but that didn't stop his heart from breaking every time Hal Horn had to leave.

Rostek Horn watched his grandson pull himself together. He, of all people, knew how hard the life of a cop's family was--but Corran was a tough kid. Not to mention an amazing pilot--the memory of his defeat at the boy's hands washed over Rostek, causing a slight smile to come to his face. "Come on, Corran," he said gently. "We recieved a brand-new simulator run from Coruscant, and the twins want you to run it with them."

Corran's face lit up. "Wow! Can I?"

"Of course. They're waiting for you now--you'd better get going." At seeing the sudden hesitation in Corran's eyes, Rostek smiled. "If and when he is able to contact us, you'll be the first person I tell. Go on." Reassurred, Corran ran towards the simulator complex.

*Two weeks later.*

Shawn grinned as Corran raced into the hangar. "Hey, Corrran!" he yelled, waving the kid over. "Guess what? We got-"

"Promoted-" Sara interrupted.

"Because of-"

"The Pacaba run." They finished together. "Tem and Andruw too," Sara added thoughtfully. "Your Grandfather reviewed it personally. The ceremony is next month, the twenty-first--"

Corran looked up in surprise. "That's my birthday!"

"Cool, kid." put in Andruw, who'd just finished a solo sim run.

"Sounds like you're the ones who deserve condolences-- I mean congratulations." Corran scowled. "I wish I was in CorSec. They don't promote ten year olds."

Andruw shrugged. "Maybe they'll start a junior division. Your Dad back yet?"

"Not for another week. Why?"

"Gotta talk to him about some new assignments I've got." Andruw grinned. "I'm moving up so fast, I can't even stick around for my own promotion ceremony!"

Tem stared down into forty pairs of eyes. He'd always wanted to be a teacher, but his father had urged him into the cops. Now, he was beginning to be glad he'd taken the advice.

Geez, CorSec doesn't take 'em much younger, he thought as yet another under-twenty individual stood up to report their name, major, and "something interesting about themselves". Teaching cadets--sheesh. True, they were some of the brightest stars CorSec was training, true they were showing skills suited to a top-notch intrusion team, but they knew nothing about flying. Not to mention astro-navigation. And that was what Tem had to teach them.

"All right, people, let's move it. Into the complex. You--" he pointed to a short strawberry-blond, "Go to the records area. Tell the officer on duty that we need a master copy of the Nar Shadaa straffing run. Here--" Tem tossed her his access card. The girl left, heading in the general direction of Records. Tem sighed, shook his head, and started to nerf-herd the other thirty-nine cadets into the sim complex.

If he hadn't known Corran was far, far away, he would have sworn he heard juvenile laughter.

Far, far away Corran was not. He was watching through a transparisteel window as Tem resigned himself to his fate. And he was laughing.

Andruw looked on in amusement. It WAS rather funny, you had to give the kid that. But they had a transport to catch, and he didn't want to wait for Corran's laughter, punctuated by an occasional hiccup, to subside. He pulled Corran to his feet and started dragging him. As the ten year old disolved into another attack of hiccups, Andruw grimaced. Maybe those purple berry-lime shakes hadn't been such a good idea. At least Corran wasn't puking--yet.

They reached the landing platform without further incidence. Corran ran quickly to a drinking fountain, intent on subduing his hiccups before his father came out of the ship. He barely suceeded before he was swung around in a bear hug. "Hey, Shortie!"

"Dad! How was it? Didja catch him?!"

Hal sighed as he put his son down. "Yes Corran, we caught him. Pu

4. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    *dances around the thread* YAY! They posted more!!This is so awesome RogueJai and Edjedir!!! You're both such fantastic writers!! post more soon k!!

5. Ejedir

Apr 16, 2000
    Sorry about the format again. I'll fix it soon. My wonderful co-author kinda messed it up. Do not worry! I'm sorry about the double posts too. Oh, and if you really like the story, spread the word!

Corran juked left and right, then snaprolled to port. He dropped his throttle to zero. The pursuing ship over-shot him. Corran pushed the throttle to seventy-five, and came up on the tail end of the freighter. He shot a single torpedo, and the Selonian ship was nothing but space trash. Corran removed his helmet and leaned back. Too easy, was his first thought. He had spent the better part of the eight months since beating the Pacaba reprogramming the sims. He needed a challenge, and was waiting for one to present itself. Someone rapped on the simulator hatch, and Corran popped it open and stuck his head out. ?Haven?t seen you for a while.? Corran looked up into the face of Andruw Jace.

?Been out on active duty for a couple of months. People been saying that they?ve just given this sim to you, since no one else can get in it.?

?That?s not true,? Corran pulled himself the rest of the way out. ?If someone actually
    asked I?d let ?em, but since no one does, I figure I can keep going at it.?

?Sure, whatever.? Andruw fished around in his pilot?s pack, ?Here, I brought something for you. It?s a birthday present. I know it?s a couple of months late, but I wanted to give it to you myself.?

Corran took the box and tore off the multi-colored wrap. He pressed his thumb onto the lock mechanism and the top popped opened. Inside were a pair of pilot gloves, decorated with the black and green of CorSec. He lifted them out and pulled them on, they fit perfectly. The other gift was a pilot pack, he pulled it out. He heard something hit the bottom. He opened up the pack and thrust his hand down into it. Corran?s hand grasped something uneven and rough. He pulled it out and a confused look came over the boy?s face. ?What is it?? The object looked black, but when tilted to toward the light, shifted through all colors of the spectrum.

Andruw laughed, ?Something I thought looked kind-of neat. I picked it up on Valderra, it?s a rock they mine. I thought you might like it.?

?It?s weird, but I love it, thank you!? Corran jumped up and hugged Andruw around the chest. Andruw froze for a moment, as if unsure of what to do. Then wrapped his arms around the young boy.

?You?re welcome,? Andruw knelt down, ?Now, how about I give you a challenging sim run. I?ll get into the next sim over, and challenge you to a dogfight. Would you like that??

?You bet. I?m going to beat you!?

Andruw got up and walked toward the other fighter, ?Fine, loser buys drinks, um, never mind.?

Corran strapped himself in and pulled on his gloves, then sat back and waited for Andruw to give him the signal. It never came. The lights in the cockpit went out and came back on with no warning at all. They were flying above Coronet City, Corran looked out and could see CorSec Headquarters. A shot hit the top of his fighter and jarred the ship a considerable amount. Corran looked down and saw that he hadn?t even put up his shields yet. He dove down toward the planet surface while adjusting his shields. At the last moment, he pulled up and twisted to starboard.

?Caught you by surprise did I?? Andruw mocked over the com.

?Sim regulations say that you?re supposed to tell your opponent before you start!? Corran shouted back over the com.

?You broke the rules flying the Pacaba, why can?t I?

Corran gave an agitated growl. He looked down on his scopes and saw that Andruw?s fighter was behind him. He punched the throttle up and snapped his X-wing up on his port S-foil and pulled back on his stick, taking him into a left turn. He straightened out and dove toward the surface, and brought the ship around so it was standing on it?s tail. He saw the bottom of Jace?s ship and fired. ?Sith!? Corran looked down at the displays again. He hadn?t switched over to torpedoes, and the dual laser fire had bounced off the shie

6. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    If I could have a signature, I would!! But if you have enough time to hang around two forums, (maybe post your story and read a a few of the others, helps make ya known ) I'd suggest going here: http://www.jedi.net/ubb-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=23&SUBMIT=Go http://www.jedi.net/ubb-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=23&SUBMIT=Go
    (I don't know how to post a link, which is sad since I moderate that forum redface.gif ) It's jedi.nets fanfic which is much smaller. With some friendly faces, such as me and Gimpy (Only I be Jedi Snarky)

7. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Hal glared as Corran climbed out of the simulator. He could sense Andruw beside him, registering through the Force like a giant tower of annoyance. Shot down by his own son?how had Rostek been able to smile at the little twerp after his defeat?

Grinning, Corran slowly strutted up to his ?enemies?, the identical scowls on their faces not affecting him in the least. ?Hey, Dad! Didn?t know that was you!?

?Would you have shown me any mercy if you had?? Hal queried.

?No way.?

?I thought as much.?

?Eleven . . . .eleven . . .?Andruw muttered.

?Don?t worry about it, Lieutenant.? Hal advised. ?It?s not that you?re a bad pilot?it?s just that he?s a very, very good one.?

Andruw scowled at Corran, but a hint of a smile lurked around the corners of his mouth. ?Prodigious little squirt. But then, you did get to the Pacaba run faster than I did. I?m on duty in fifteen minutes, but next time, I will get you . . . kid.?

?Don?t call me kid!? Corran growled. Hal grinned openly. ?So does that mean you?re not angry at me anymore?? Corran asked, noticing the grin.

?That depends, Corran, on what you want. As a fighter jock, I?m still stung that you were able to beat me, but as a fathe, I?m proud to have raised such a fine pilot.?

Corran smiled wryly. ?Thanks Dad . . . . I think. Speaking of wanting, my stomach feels neglected.?

?C?mon, Shortie, let?s go home. I?ll buy you an ice cream, as your father, for such a great run. How?d you come up with the fake drop maneuver, anyway??

?It came about as a result of illogical thinking.?

Hal shook his head. ?As a cop, I should tell you to follow all logical solutions. As your father,? Master, or as close to one as he's getting, Hal thought but couldn?t say, ?I will tell you to follow your gut instincts. They?ll serve you well.?

*a few weeks later

Whistler zoomed down the hall, enjoying his feeling of power. Rostek Horn had had CorSec techs severely modify him?now he could slice anything, and no restraining bolt would hold this droid down for long. There had been other upgrades, as well?but for now, until all the systems were optimized, he had to rely on those two. No matter. They suited his purpose.

[This message has been edited by RogueJai (edited 04-26-2000).]

8. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Oh btw,did I mention how much I love this story?!! Corran Horn just rocks!!! Post more soon k?

9. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh yeeeeess!! What an AWESOME Corran Horn story!! I LOVE Corran Horn, he's my hottie!! (Just ask Borme, lunetta and feline, they know I LOVE him! ) Keep up this awesome story, okay?

10. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Corran grinned widely. He?d tied his father in a one-on-one, by blowing up his father?s fighter at the same time Hal?s missles caught up with him. He started to run along the side passage, wanting to reach his Grandfather?s office quickly. Corran had found that the Director of CorSec greatly enjoyed news of his grandson?s flights and fights.

Somewhere close by something crashed. Rostek Horn jumped up and hurried to his door. Once outside his office, he discovered one of his four guards standing at attention. ?What was that, Lieutenant?!?

?I don?t know, Sir. The others left to check it out.?

?Bah. I?m not that old?and I?m not senile. I don?t need four of our best people guarding me all the time . . .. Let?s follow them.?

The pair arrived at the scene in time to help pull Corran and Whistler to their respective feet. And to have Director Horn prudently turn off the Threepio droid that was obediently translating Whistler?s binary curses into Basic.

[This message has been edited by RogueJai (edited 04-29-2000).]

11. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    LOL. Sorry people--that was supposed to go after the paragraph about Whistler. oops. Oh well. Like this story, hmmmmm? You should (and will eventually) see what we've got in store for the poor kid . . . *grins evilly* hehehehehehehehehe

12. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    More!

13. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    I just found this tonight and it is EXCELLENT! Please continue!

14. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    *dashes in* THEY POSTED MORE!! THEY POSTED MORE!!!!!!! Teehee, This story is great you guys!! I love Corran!! (Have I said that already? ) And do I sense a little Corran-Torture?! OooooOOOOOoooooo being the civilized girl that I am, I love torture!!

15. Ejedir

Apr 16, 2000
    Here's the next part. I'm doing this without RogueJai's approval. Shhh. You may want to re-read later, there may be some changes.

?What happened here?? Rostek Horn demanded.

Corran shook his head violently as if trying to knock something lose. ?Well sir, I was ru. .? Corran thought about his next words. It was against CorSec policy to run anywhere, unless told to do so. ?Uh. .?

The Artoo began to whistle and twitter. ?What?s he saying?? Rostek queried of one of the officers.

?How should I know?? The guard looked puzzled, ?Sir.? He added as an afterthought.

?You?re standing next to the translator, turn him on Lieutenant.?

?Oh, of course sir,? the young man blushed rather fiercely and switched the Threepio unit on.

?Translate,? Rostek pointed at the Artoo, while directing his comment at the Threepio.

?Of, course sir, I?d be happy to. Translating it my primary function after all, and I am fluent in. .?

?I don?t really care, just translate what the droid is saying!? Rostek glared at the droid.

?Oh.? The Threepio unit stated simply. ?He says that he was rolling down this hall, minding his own business when this. . .I don?t think that is appropriate, especially with young children about.? The translator droid reprimanded Whistler.

At that, Whistler gave a long series of shrill machanical noises. "How rude." The humanoid droid folded his arms and put his nose up in the air in a very human way.

?Go on.? Rostek commanded.

?Oh yes, well, he says that the boy came run. .?

?I knocked him over Grandpa, and I?m really sorry, it won?t happen again.? Corran put on his pitiful apology face.

Rostek tapped his chin as if contemplating, ?All right, but if this happens again Corran. . .or Whistler, there?s going to be trouble.?

?Thank you sir,? Corran?s face went immediately from sad and pitiful to an overeager child, just as Rostek had known it would.

?You?re welcome. Now why were you coming down here Corran?? Rostek noticed Corran?s hesitation and how he looked past Rostek?s shoulder at the guards. ?Oh, you?re all dismissed, get out of here.? Corran grinned at his grandfather, ?Now, what is it Corran?? Rostek asked once the other six had gone.

?I tied my dad in another dogfight! It was so cool! I blew him up, but his torp also it me about the same time.?

?Ahh, I see.? Rostek smiled. I think that deserves a reward. How about a purple berry-lime shake??

?Yes! Please! Please! Please!? Corran pleaded kneeling at the elder Horn?s feet.

?I think that it can be arranged. On your feet!? Corran snapped to attention then reached for his grandfather?s outstretched hand, and together they walked away.

Hal sat in the pilot ready room, in the exact same spot the Corran had chosen when doing his scouting for the Pacaba. He wasn?t listening to anything in particular, just everything in general. Hal was still contemplating the last dogfight with his son. Corran had almost had him. If he hadn?t fired that missile when he did, he would have had his second loss against the kid. The first had been quite embarassing. That an eleven year old boy had been able to think that plan up, execute it, and then fool not one, but two of CorSec?s best pilots, was disgraceful, since one of those pilots had been him. Oh well, Hal thought at least I can take part of the credit for raising such a fine one. He grinned. It was amazing how far the boy had come in just a little over a year. He could beat most of the greenies that were on the front lines fighting CorSec?s battles without even breaking a sweat. He?ll be a great one, without a doubt.

?Excuse me sir,? Hal?s thoughts were broken by a young Major. ?I have a message for you from Director Horn. He said that it was urgent.

?Sure, hand it over,? Hal reached for the data pad. He pressed his thumb to the access square, and immediately data popped up. ?Thank you Major.? The young lady gave a tight salute and walked out of the room. Hal scanned over the page. It was news about Booster Terrik. That smuggler had escaped

16. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Ack. The reason why Ejedir did that without approval is that I think my email has gone wacky. I don't think the post needs any changing though--very good! Shoot I need to start writing. Mesa turn . . . I'll have something later today (hopefully) rolleyes.gif

17. Ejedir

Apr 16, 2000
    I just have one thing to say. YEAH RIGHT. Just kiddin'. Hopefully rolleyes.gif we can have another for you today.
    (p.s. MEESA A JEDI KNIGHT! YEA!)

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    This is great you guys!! I love how you mentioned his Jedi Medallion!!

19. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Hey, ejedir, thanks for reading Spam Wars!!! At the moment, I'm out of ideas for that, but I may post some more in the not-so-distant future.

In the meantime, keep posting!

20. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, another excellent post Ejedir and RogueJai!! This story is excellent!! I think it is so awesome that Corran is so close with his dad and grandpa!! Excellent job!! And Ejedir, thank you for reading my stories!! I really appreciate it!

21. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Not too much mischief, Dad? Corran grinned at the memory. This should be just enough. He crouched in the shadows, patiently waiting for the guard shift in front of the chemical supply area. He would have one, maybe two minutes to sprint across the darkened roadway and slip inside the supply dump. An old, dilapidated building, it looked to be nothing more than an empty warehouse, but in truth, it was one of CorSec?s cover-ops. Suddenly, the right guard turned around, her blond ponytail swaying slightly as she continued chatting with the other guard?her brother. Corran muttered darkly to himself. Hard enough to get past two suspicious, alert CorSec cops. Harder still to get past two of his best friends. Why, of all the nights in the galaxy, had Sara and Shawn chosen this particular one to stand guard duty?

Finally, the comlink call came, causing the twins to slouch in relief and walk toward their speeder, laughing. And giving Corran the precious minutes he needed. Staying low, close to the ground (which wasn?t hard, considering his height), Corran slipped silently across the street. He stared at the double paneled security door before reaching up to touch the handle . . . . . and realizing his mistake.

It was locked. A pure and simple solution-not even an electric lock, at that, but an
    ancient metal bolt. And as encouraging of his son?s various skills as he was, even Hal Horn was not stupid enough to teach a mischievous young boy how to pick a lock.

Corran gritted his teeth in annoyance. He would not be stopped by something as simple as a lock. Unfortunately, he hadn?t thought to bring a weapon of any kind?and even if the thought had crossed his mind, there were precious few ways for him to get one. But surely CorSec must have some backup plan. After all, Corran knew more than one guard careless enough to forget such things as passwords, keys, their girlfriend?s names . . . .

Keys.

Keys! They wouldn?t have . . . .would they? No. Of course not. Despite his mind trying to logically convince him CorSec wasn?t that incompetent, Corran?s eyes searched the area for someplace small and well hidden. Or not so well hidden. Sometimes the obvious solutions are the most subtle . . . Corran sighed. He was reasonably certain that the Corellian Security Force wouldn?t have place a spare key under the doormat. But then, he hadn?t found it anywhere else.

Thirty seconds later, the small silver key twisted in the dead bolt, giving an eleven year old boy access to some of the most lethal chemical mixtures on the planet.

However, what Corran sought wasn?t particularly lethal. A can of a certain type of spray solution, that would harden anything the liquid mix contacted. Harden it just enough so that, if dropped from a height of more than a meter, it would shatter. Corran grinned as he snuck out a conveniently concealed back entrance. Time for Phase Two.

Late the next afternoon, Corran entered the pilot ready room, carrying a black sack in one hand and his father?s security card in the other. The room was completely empty and
    conspicuously clean. In front of each locker hung a crisp, neat uniform, and under that custom made boots. Setting the security card down on a nearby bench, Corran removed the bottle of spray solution and a container of strong, fast-drying glue from his bag. He only had a half hour until the newest pilot cadets? first live training exercise.

First came the boots?Corran wanted to give the glue as much time as possible to dry.
    After carefully setting the last boot down on the floor, it?s sole covered in a generous amount of gray goop, Corran aimed the nozzle of the spray bottle at the pilot suit hanging above the boots. He went down the line, making absolutely certain each and every uniform was covered in the quickly setting clear spray.

Footsteps approaching the door startled Corran into checking his chrono. Yikes?it was time for the recruits to get ready for the mission. He briefly panicked, looking for a place to hide. The lockers all had their clearance key on the owner?s security card?there was no

22. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    You have nailed the Horn boys right on the head. Corran is one of my favs too.

23. Ejedir

Apr 16, 2000
    Thank you jodiwent, I think. I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'm glad I think you approve. And Your Gimpyness, it was no sacrifice on my part to read your stories it was a treat! Anyone reading this should read Her Gimpyness' stories, they're awesome. I'll read them any day. Keep coming back everyone, I hope you found that last post amusing and hilarious. I know I did I know what your all saying "Ego-prob" not really though, since I didn't write it, I just came up with the idea (Okay, I thought up the idea for the whole story, maybe it is an Ego-prob. Okay I'll admit it is. I'm proud of myself! So sue me for all I have-it's about three dollars if you're wondering.j/k)

[This message has been edited by Ejedir (edited 04-30-2000).]

24. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I mean you make the characters realalistic. Love the plot. I can literally see Corran. Hal, and Rostek when I read this.

25. Ejedir

Apr 16, 2000
    AHHHH!! I thank you jodiwent. It's my turn to post next, so I have to get writin'. Sorry if it takes a while. I have a Physics project due. Ahh, the love of school. rolleyes.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.