main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force and the Vong

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The Yuuzhan Vong, apparently, do not exist within the Force.
    In one of the "Dark Tide" novels, Anakin Solo pushed a Vong warrior with the Force with enough strength to crush a human's bones. The Vong was merely shoved.

Yet, in "Star by Star", Lomi, the Dark Jedi, used dark side powers to savagely murder a Vong shaper.

What am I missing? The light-sided powers have little to no affect, yet the dark-sided ones do?

Another enigma has always plagued my mind: Why is it that the Rebellion was able to possess a higher quality starfighter than the Imperials?
    The Rebel fighters had shields and torpedos. Compared to an Imperial TIE fighter, I'd much rather take an X-Wing or B-Wing.

The Empire couldn't afford to equip their fighter pilots with better ships? X-Wings even have their own supply of oxygen.
    The Rebellion had more money than the Empire?

Why is that the Empire simply couldn't emulate the designs of Rebellion-affiliated starfighters?

2. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Im also wondering how they defeated the Empire basicly in one battle. Everyone knew it was over when they defeated the emporer at Endor. How could-maybe 200 rag tag ships start defeating huge Imperial fleets.

3. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    In SBS I think what is happening when Lomi is killing things with the Force...is that she is crushing the particles around the Vong and and makin it appear that Lomi is directly assaulting the target. Tahiri does this same thing when she is captured on Yavin and is in her cage. And they explain what she does. So the Vong still do not exist in the force...but that does not stop them from being affected by the space around them.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ah! I entirely forgot about Tahiri's exploits. Thanks!

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    A force "push" won't do much, unless you're pushing the air in front of the Vong rather than the Vong itself. Force lightning, however, is not The Force, it's lightning created by the Force. Vong aren't impervious to lightning...

6. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    No problem!

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This I can better answer than the Force Vong information which for now I think can be summed up as....we simply don't know.

[Another enigma has always plagued my mind: Why is it that the Rebellion was able to possess a higher quality starfighter than the Imperials?]

There's actually an interesting story behind this. Basically Emperor Palpatine comishioned a extremely cheap shieldless but incredibly fast starfighter from Sienner systems to outfit his new Starfleet. Given the sheer expenditure on the Imperial Star Destroyers and later Death Star projects the cost cutting was probably a welcome relief to the Empire. Furthermore the TIE fighter base is actaully a superior fighter to the standard Z95 headhunter that while more sturdy was quickly cut to pieces by the ranged and powerful canons of the average TIE fighter which was much much faster as well.

[The Rebel fighters had shields and torpedos. Compared to an Imperial TIE fighter, I'd much rather take an X-Wing or B-Wing.]

No doubt why many Imperial pilots defected.

[The Empire couldn't afford to equip their fighter pilots with better ships? X-Wings even have their own supply of oxygen.
    The Rebellion had more money than the Empire?]

Nope but realize the Rebel Alliance had a vested interest in producing higher quality craft due to the fact that their pilots were much more important to them than the Empire and also their vehicles would have to be used relatively nonstop with as few causlaties as possible. Furthermore the X-Wing, A-Wing, and B-Wing fighters were created by the now-defunct Incom company, special Alliance think-tanks, and the Verpine/Ackbar project.

The Empire had it's own particular super-projects but for the most part the TIE interceptor, Tie Advanced, and TIE Defenders were produced only in limited numbers by the Time the Empire really started running out of money and never replaced the TIE fighter because the massive expenditure would have been too much...

And not to play too much on Empire=Evil but the Emperor probably had a sadistic Sithlord joy in knowing that his pilots had more to fear than any other.

[Why is that the Empire simply couldn't emulate the designs of Rebellion-affiliated starfighters?]

Symbolism mostly. Adopting a Rebel craft design would be seen as a major propaganda victory. Furthermore the TIE fighter was already a symbol of imperial terror.

The Tie Interceptors were a superior craft to the Y-Wing and they wouldn't have to retrain their men so rapidly in a new fighter style and the Advanced blew literally out of the water the X-Wing design by leaps and bounds.

It probably would have seen much more action hadn't the emperor wasted quadrillons of credits on the Phantom Projects, Super Star Destroyers, Plagues, Death Stars, Tarkin superlasers, Dark trooper projects.

8. Justified

Justified Jedi Master

Jan 28, 2002
    I like how fallen jedi are now being introduced into NJO. I know how the dark side isn't stronger than the light, and so on and so on. But I would think that a Jedi under the dark side influence would fare better than a Jedi against the vong. Especially the voxyn. They are a part of the force, a fallen jedi could definatly use that to their advantage to kill them off before they become a serious threat. As for the Vong, just use inanimate objects to crush or beat the life out of them. Now I know its not that simple, but they can improvise.

I know if I was running around in the NJO era, I'd give in to the dark side in a second. Anger . . . fear . . . aggression . . . sweet.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks for the insight into the Imperial military. I appreciate it. :)

As for the dark side being more effective...Well, in "Star by Star", we did see the Dark Jedi utlize their powers against the voxyn more efficiently than the Light Jedi did, correct?

I'm sure that if the Light Jedi improvised, they could be just as effective, however.

10. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    [Another enigma has always plagued my mind: Why is it that the Rebellion was able to possess a higher quality starfighter than the Imperials?"

"The Rebel fighters had shields and torpedos. Compared to an Imperial TIE fighter, I'd much rather take an X-Wing or B-Wing."

"The Empire couldn't afford to equip their fighter pilots with better ships? X-Wings even have their own supply of oxygen.
    The Rebellion had more money than the Empire?"]

Hey...i just have a little side note to this:

I agree with everything said by Charlemagne19, but hava little addition. In the Thrawn Trilogy we learn that the emperor used to overshadow the conciousness of his pilots in order to give them better maneuverability and keep them in a "collective mind". Thrawn also utilizes this tactic through Joruus C'Baoth. This is, indirectly, why the rebellion was able to defeat the empire in one battle...that fleet would have decimated the rebels if it weren't for the last hour heroics of Anakin Skywalker. When he "killed" the Emperor he shattered both his concentration and the Collective mind of the Imperial Pilots. Leaving them both shieldless and senseless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.