main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Force Awakens #1-6

Discussion in 'Literature' started by paddy wan kenobi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    After reading 'Dark Disciple' and seeing the Disney Jedi reinstating Quinlan after he killed clones and fellow Jedi, I can totally believe that Disney Jedi would reinstate Depa no matter what she's done.

In fact, one wonders why Anakin was so worried after he cut off Mace's hand in ROTS. He could have just gone back to the Jedi Council, told them 'I tried to prevent Mace from turning against the Jedi Code. You'll let me stay with the Jedi because you let Quinlan stay after he did far worse things.' The whole film would have been different if done Disney-style.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    By this point he's in the room with a lightning-armed and dangerous Palpatine - who is making him the "Save Padme" offer again - I couldn't see him changing his mind after this point.

Jedi Ben and SilentGuy66 like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Woh, woh, woh, let's not go breaking the new timeline's space-time continuum this soon. There's doing homages, and there's invoking the divine wrath of the cosmic beard.
    We have that already:
    [​IMG]

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You have a point there. Quin was slaughtering Jedi, clones, leaving children to die, etc. And he had lots of time to think about it, even after a "rehab" session with the Jedi Temple. By comparison, Depa -- heck, even Barriss -- were not nearly as bad. Even Anakin wasn't close, since in his situation it was a sudden, rash choice.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    9 images, (5 of which are covers and variants), putting them in spoiler tags for ease of access
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    My only complaint is Poe looks really old. :p

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My only complaint is that Finn looks Asian on the cover.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That Joey Q cover is so darn purty, I asked my shope folk if they could put one aside for me if they get it in (however they didn't know what the ratio is for that book and they certainly ain't ordering 50)

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Mods, I think this thread should be #1-6, right?

I don't know why, but the yellow boxes aka the narrator, feels like he's talking down to me or is this book meant for a 4th grader?

11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah, I don't get that impression at all, TiniTiny. I dig it. I like the approach. Reminds me a bit of Kogge's approach to the adaptation, which I liked a lot. It's a storyteller guiding you ad you gaze in on a window of scenes in progress. It gets a lot of info out of the way quickly in what to me is a concise, evocative, manner that draws in the reader.

And if Fourth Graders dig it? Awesome for them for reading. A lot of 4th graders (and younger) saw TFA and loved it.

But to each their own.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Not sure how I feel about the art. Some parts are good, others not so much.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This is actually going to be the first of the marvel series where I'm going to wait for the trade. Nothing against the comic but I can easily wait a few extra months seeing as I already know what happens in TFA (minus whatever surprises this comic might have)

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    On the last page of the final issue will be Luke sitting in front of a fire, closing a giant book with a big "VII" on the cover, revealing he was the narrator the whole time. Then he'll break the fourth wall and say, "I wonder what happens next. Let's find out right now! Wait a second...now where did I put the "VIII" novel?"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Remember how each Star Wars story begins with "A long time ago, in a kingdom galaxy far far away . . ." ?

(Besides. It's Artoo telling the story ;) )

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Normally I'd agree with you about R2, but in this instance I'm going with Luke this time since he had no speaking lines in TFA and R2 slept through the movie and woke up with no explanation in the final act. ;)

17. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Not enough swear words for the narrator to be Artoo.

And after the first sentence I thought that it could be Stover :p . But then "This is BB-8" didn't continue with a long paragraph of who BB-8 is as a person.

ATimson, Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    "This is how it feels to be BB-8. Forever."
    [​IMG]

19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006

I was imagining its Jar Jar whose narrating the story.... yes it is more horrifying that way![face_devil]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ohhhhhhh, neat, Kylo Ren gets his own squiggly voice dialogue balloon effect! It does make it distinctive. However, after decades of comic reading, I'm programmed to read squiggly dialogue boxes like that as someone who is sounding frail or weak (or a spectral ghost) so that'll be a switch. Hopefully if/when Kylo shows up in other comics they'll keep the effect.

21. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    It was just confirmed by Heather Antos on Twitter that this will be 6 issues rather than 5!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    Comics stores in Paris haven't received the alter cover with Rey & BB-8
    [​IMG]
    anybody know where can i buy it online ?

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    If anyone was curious, the first issue ends...

...with the shot of the Falcon aka "the garbage will do" reveal.

As mentioned and referenced above, the art isn't spectacular, but you get the point. I found myself doing the voices from the movie in my head. If I didn't have the movie as a reference, then I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it in this medium as much. The touching moments in the film with Rey and then Rey and BB-8 don't translate well in the adaptation. Most of the characters look as expected save for Hux in a panel or two.

I do kind of want to watch the movie now after reading it, but as for the comic, I would recommend getting the TPB or just passing all together. The one win I did enjoy was seeing the alien dialogue. I would need to watch the movie with captions on to see if it goes into that detail, but I don't believe it does.

EDIT: Other downside, which might sound silly, but the comic doesn't have John Williams awesome ******* score.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I found out today it is a 1:100 variant so it's going to be hard to find and pricey. Midtown comics is the only place online I've seen it available online, it is currently on sale for $106 :(

Jedi Ben and jeykey like this.
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So since continuity is complete equal now, and everything is part of canon, and this has stuff that differs from the movie, but this is the most recent release, I assume that means this overrides the movie.

ATimson and Jeff_Ferguson like this.