main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Force Awakens #1-6

Discussion in 'Literature' started by paddy wan kenobi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ouch! That is going to Death Star some bank accounts.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I sadly didnt like this issue. I feel that the comic does not capitalize on the fact that it has more time. Normally with adaptions you use them to flesh stuff out but so far its just the movie but with all the conversations shortened a bit. I wish they did what the novelization did and put some scenes back in and flash out the resistance and first order. Instead it keeps all the films flaws.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Not really fan of the issue.. The drawings are meh, the story itself doesn't provide any more insight of what we've seen on the screen. Not to mention that the 'this is BB8, this is Rey, this is Poe' etc is kind of annoying[face_sigh]

vncredleader likes this.
  4. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016

With comic adaptations you actually have a lot less space to tell a story as adequately as the film. It's extremely difficult to adapt a moving image on a huge film screen to a static image in a tiny comic panel. An action sequence that takes 10 seconds in a film can take a whole page or more with a comic. That's a lot of realty when you only have 20 pages (max 30) an issue for a limited mini-series.

BigAl6ft6, starfish and Taalcon like this.
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

No, it's an adaptation for another medium. Sometimes dialogue that works well spoken doesn't fit as well for a different purely visual medium. If there's new material and insights, yes, it's been approved. But nothing is overriding the movie. Pablo had discussed this a lot, about the silliness of nitpicking and over-emphasisizng the significant differences in portraying something in different medium (movie, book, novel). The movie is the base telling of the canonical events. The others are other mediums telling their versions of canonical events.

Nitpickers gonna nit, but it's a little much to need to feel that LSG must feel that what some fans see as continuity bugs are more than what they themselves see them as - features of an adaptation.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Princess like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Art is not spectacular and I was sort of surprised that it started after Lor San Tekka died, but I liked it well enough.

It did give a little more insight into Rey's existence, nothing we could not already know from the movie but having it spelled out added something.

"Payment is portions, portions are food, and portions are life."

It was more blatant on the villagers refusing water to a thirsty Finn as well.

BigAl6ft6 and Taalcon like this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Which brings us to the question of aside from money why do a film adaption these days? Back in the day we got these cause the home video market was non existent. We already have TFA out on dvd and while I love comics more then anything, I still feel like its a bit pointless. Also sure you only have about 22 pages on average but since its been months since the film came out why not add stuff in that fans complained about not being there. They chose to just make it the film directly brought to comics. I can just watch the film instead of reading something that is directly an adaption however these days we have the advantage of more communication between fans and the creators so its saddening that they did not capitalize on that. Everyone who is reading this has watched the film so why not cut some scenes that might have a purpose in the film but are not needed to be seen in every version and then add in stuff that fixed problems people had. Fingers crossed that the stuff on the cargo ship is heavily cut down.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why? Because tradition. Even the prequels had their comic form, and I should think home market was already widely available by then.

10. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm just not much of an adaptation fan. To me the original comics being put out are far more interesting, because they are telling new original tales in a GFFA. These new stories are adding to THE story of Star Wars. I feel the same way about the novelizations. If I want to know what happened during The Force Awakens, I'll watch The Force Awakens...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. Chubby Farms

Chubby Farms Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2016
    Darth Kickass, I'm with you on this one. I want to support most things Star Wars, but I will always prefer to watch the movie over the comic. Having said that, I'm going to the Comic Con in Stuttgart, Germany this weekend, so I will see if they have something unique in the German version (if they even have one).

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I didn't mind issue 1 and do not agree with IGN's review. If I want the complete story I just watch the movie. I don't need to read the movie novelization for what I can get on screen nor do I have to have a comic book with a play by play. I think this series will be fine. There was a poster on the IGN board that irked me: The part that he hates how Marvel and DC come up with side stories for their licensees. Well you know what I say to that? Sometimes, those side stories work actually better than the one your trying to tell. Isn't how the EU became famous? A bunch of side stories by different mediums? Yep!

vncredleader and Taalcon like this.
  13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Read this over the weekend, it was ... fine. It's about on par with the prequel comic adaptations, which weren't a patch on the surreal '70s/'80s Marvel ones. I had been hoping for a bit of a twist on the movie somehow.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Is there some link between this and there being no Rogue One prequel comic planned?

Maybe they're considering any future movie prequel comics until after the release of the movie it relates to?

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    From a collector standpoint I'm happy to have this, but in terms of the quality of the book itself it is just....okay. The art is a bit inconsistent and the story is a little rushed and doesn't offer much depth. I did like the lettering with Kylo Ren, that was a nice touch.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Well finally got around to picking it up and I have to say this will probably be the last movie adaption comic I get and will just allow the actual film to show me the story. They took the dialogue virtually straight from the movie and the dialogue used doesn't work nearly as well on the written page as it does in live action. The humor and emotion that the movie had just doesn't translate very well when the characters are not onscreen playing it out.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The RO mini series was likely cancelled due to changes in the film's story during production.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone read this article?

http://www.starwars.com/news/comic-...s-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-1-and-more

Funny. I seem to remember buying TPM and AOTC TPB's. So, was this an error?

SilentGuy66 and vncredleader like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Silly FS, it's simple: The Prequels don't exist anymore!

SensationalSean and ATimson like this.
  20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but didn't the PT adaptions add things back that got cut? I wish this would capitalize on the fact that it is being made after the movie and therefore has heard all the criticisms.

LelalMekha likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now that is absolutely true. There's no added value to this comic (so far).

vncredleader likes this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is this adaption or 6 issues?

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    6 issues, yes.

I actually liked this and while I do also wish that there was something "extra" added into it in the form of deleted scenes, that isn't a dealbraker for me. I just enjoy seeing how the adaptation process works and TFA in comic form, the different choices in how to present it. Opening the book right on BB-8 after Lor San Tekka was already dead is an interesting choice. Like there's a panel with Hux clenching his fist and gritting his teeth and saying "FIRE THE VENTRAL CANONS!" which is such a comic-book-y style way to show that line I got a kick outta it. Kylo Ren's "Where is it!" line is represented by 3 panels slowly pushing in on Poe's face. Actually cutting back in forth in the panels of Finn going to help Rey from Unkar's thugs and just shows him going "Oh". Or just that pretty beautiful final splash page of "The garbage will do!" Falcon reveal.

Basically, I love TFA and I love comics so I actually like this comic for what this is, a comic book adaptation. It isn't pushing anything new into it but doing it in a different medium. Which will have some pluses and minuses on either side (Like I said, I really dig that Hux fist clenching panel, very comic book supervillain).

vncredleader likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    2 of 6

Much better issue than #1. I enjoyed the varying shots where the "camera" zoomed out and gave a different view as opposed to the close ups in the movie. The best part was the Han Solo "I used to be." panel.

Issue ends with Finn getting grabbed by a rathtar!

SensationalSean likes this.
  25. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    #2 was better, but not mind-blowing. The "I used to be" panel really is lovely. Hoping for something similar from Leia, perhaps when she says "Pretty good."

So far, it's on par with the prequel adaptations.