main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Force Awakens #1-6

Discussion in 'Literature' started by paddy wan kenobi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. paddy wan kenobi

paddy wan kenobi Jedi Padawan

Nov 26, 2015
    I would have thought this would have been a shoo-in with Marvel. It does seem to be a dying art doesn't it?

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Marvel have said that there WILL be a Force Awakens adaption later on down the line, they're just waiting a bit first

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd suspect Abrams.

Whatever other faults it may have, TFA didn't do the usual SW route of having soundtrack, novel and comic adaptation come out just before the film. Instead they were delayed to point of film release or after and that was actually stuck to!

They didn't even do a TPM on the track listing for the soundtrack e.g. Qui-Gon's Noble End.

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    As long as it doesn't end every sentence in an exclamation point like the original Star Wars comics did, I'll be happy, lol.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Am I right in thinking Cassaday is a likely candidate for this?

6. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    why would you want one?
    I don't see the point at all

7. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

Tradition?

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't mind one, sometimes the comic versions have interesting ideas, or variations compared to the movie.

Like in the RotS comic adaptation, Yoda's reaction to Order 66 looks way more epic. In the movie, Yoda sense the Jedi deaths across galaxy, two troopers walk up behind Yoda and he then easily defeats them, then catches a ride with the Wookiees. In the comic, Yoda is walking with the wookies when they run into some clone troopers, then the next scene is Yoda deflected blaster bolts and wookiees tossing clone troopers aside. It also helps that the RotS comic had excellent art (Wheatley, if I remember right?). I think they released the first two issues a week before RotS then the last two afterward? Something like that.

I wouldn't mind seeing comic pages of some of the scenes or objects in the movie.

Slight spoiler-
    The movie rarely has a good shot of many ships, lot of it is really blurry. I'm not sure the new Star Destroyer shows up much, with that scene from the trailers (with the shuttle flying towards) being the best shot, and even that is so-so.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Unlikely. We got 6 issues of SW, who knows how long those were prepared for? ;)

I like Cassaday's work a lot but no, don't think he'd be quick enough to do those 6 and this.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Jordan D. White, the editor for Marvel Comics who oversees the Star Wars branch, has said this:

jSarek and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm sure it'll happen. I'd like to see some of the deleted and extra scenes from the novelization in the adaptations too. With Mark Bagley art!

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    When ROTJ was released, that was in 2005, and home video was obviously a big thing. Comic adaptations of every Star Wars movie isn't a "necessity," but it certainly is a "tradition."

13. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014

I think you've got the wrong letter there, but you're right. This applies to all the prequels! I wonder how well the comic adaptations sell? I suspect this is more a result of the "no spoiler" embargo than any artistic reasoning.

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, the novelization is out this month, or at least the ebook version is. They're holding back the print version until January for some reason. You'd think they could get enough information to put together a movie comic too.

I'm still kind of surprised Marvel didn't jump into the whole TFA media sensation with an adaptation or at least a tie-in of some sort. You would think they would want to take advantage of TFA's popularity while its still fresh in people's minds. Wait, did they release that comic that explains how Threepio got that red arm yet? I heard about it a while ago, but I forget what its release date was.

15. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    The Threepio one-shot is coming on Feb. 24!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like the idea of the comic being an extension, rather than a carbon copy, of the film. Like what the Force Unleashed II did -- the game, the novel, and the comics each showed the events from a different perspective, and built upon one another rather than completely repeating the same story.

Of course, this would require delving into movie characters beyond the Rey/Finn/Poe trio, and I'm not sure the new canon is ready to develop characters like Phasma, Hux, Maz, etc without much knowledge of where the films are taking them.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'd say around the time of the DVD release

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The print version was held back so book stores wouldn't leak it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I could be wrong, but I think Marvel is pretty late in doing movie adaptations in general. IIRC, their Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier adaptions only came our recently, as tie-ins for the upcoming Civil War movie. It could be awhile.

TC

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    With the success of TFA and the success of the Marvel Star wars line, its a given that an adaption will be done at some point. The lowest ranking comic was Kanan 8 and that was #53 on the Top 100. That's outrageous, its still successful. So we can expect it later on in the year.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Probably come out on a weekly schedule in the time gap between the movie being pulled and rereleased

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel puts out 2 issue adaptations of their MCU movies generally right around when the sequel is released, ie. the "Captain America: First Avenger" print adaptation came out before / around the release of "Winter Solider" film (digital came earlier). I fully expect the same thing for Force Awakens, 2 issue adaptation, probably a few months before Episode VIII is released.

23. demolition18

demolition18 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2005
    i am hoping they'll be comic book adaptions to other films as well. I think also in the spring there is a to be a comic book adaption of the new Star Wars film. Releasing comic book adaptions before the movies come out will give them away. The Marvel movies and the DC movies aren't anymore having comic book adaptions usually. There are junior novels to the Marvel movies but not regular novels while the junior novels are incomplete and not movie accurate. I am an activist.

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    During the Jedi massacre vision, the artist could detail the fallen Jedi to be recognizable as Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaden Korr, Tionne, Corran Horn, Streen, etc. The way Marvel's Kanan comic had a shout-out to Shatterpoint fans by getting their hopes up the novel would be acknowledged in the first issue, then shattering them several issues later.

It would at least be better than just unrecognizable extras, and Disney owns the rights to all those characters now anyway.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.