main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Force Awakens #1-6

Discussion in 'Literature' started by paddy wan kenobi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm waiting until next Wednesday to pick it up. I generally know how much I like a series by how much of a drive I have to go to the comic shop solely for that series alone. Chewbacca was the previous one that I needed to wait until others arrived and now TFA adaption now to (latest Walking Dead issue will be released next week).

I figure if I really want to see the TFA story again I can just pop the movie in and watch it.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This issue was definitely better. I loved the Han Solo "I used to be" panel. I wonder if they will do anything with Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order and "the boy who destroyed everything."

Rey and Finn's banter seemed better than the movie, although I don't think too many lines got changed around.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and Taalcon like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still like seeing it translated to comic, just to know which panels are going to be splash pages and how it's set up. Kylo's freakout is interesting where it's just a few panels of lightsaber igniting and explosions and then him saying "Anything else". Also I could finally, thanks to the comic, figure out what Rey and Finn were saying in that excited crosstalk that happens after they escape with the Falcon. In the movie they literally talk over each other so I could actually read it this time. And the Han Solo used to be panel is grand and, hey, ending with Finn being snaged by the Rathar is a cool moment to end on.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just got around to reading #2, for sure better than issue #1. As others have said, the "I used to be" panel with Han was a highlight. Also appreciated ending with the Ranthar grabbing Finn.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Issue #3 had some interesting stuff in it, mostly just to see how the longgg pan into Maz's was translated as a splash page, or Klyo's chat with Vader's helmet. And ending on Rey finding the saber is a neat cliffhanger. I hope in issue #4 we get a lot of pages of the flashback.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Incidentally, I'd like to point out that issue #3 features what appears to be a Lepi (or Lepus Canivorus), Jaxxon's species! :D
    [​IMG]

Taalcon, BigAl6ft6, Senpezeco and 3 others like this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ha I totally missed that, good catch!

BigAl6ft6 and LelalMekha like this.
  8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
  9. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Pretty sure Leland's response is very, very thick with humor. I mean, "Maybe it's some other giant green rabbit-like species." - how can you not read that with a twinkle in his eye?
    [​IMG]

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    The problem is that the question was asked to him in all seriousness. A jocular answer to a serious question can't be used.

11. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Oh, I forgot all of this has to do with making it technically official for the Wook rather than practical understanding. The funny thing is, if you posted that exact frustration in response to the thread, there's a good chance he would be the one thinking, "What a killjoy [face_phbbbbt]" ;)

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I give up. -_-

13. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
  14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    It's just... hard trying to do your thing seriously when no one else takes it that way anymore. Ah, well. *Shrugs*

15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Hey, I'm the guy who was the first on the WILLOW Encyclopedia website game back in the late 90's and early 2000s, so believe me I get it! I called up Lucy Autrey Wilson @ LFL to try to get a scoop on the contents of Shadow Star pre-release, which is basically the early 2000s equivalent of Twitter-creeping Pablo and Leland.

Which is why I feel I can poke fun while still visiting the Wook regularly as a very helpful fan resource :)

LelalMekha likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not that we don't take it seriously, it's that things have changed. To quote a thoroughly despicable traitor, forget the old way!

The Wook is gonna have to be more impressionistic and less "fact-driven" because that's where Star Wars is now. You adopt to the canon you have, not to the canon you wish you had.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Why should we be more impressionistic when we've been told things were going to be more clear-cut than before? Ah, well. I don't want to start that debate again. But sometimes, I get so frustrated that I just have to say something.

Talos156 and DelRiego like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They said storytelling would be consistent, not that they would define every single thing with encyclopedic precision. Everything we've gotten has showed the opposite.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Taalcon likes this.
  19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    "Let's leave things vague unless a story makes us have to define it" does make it so things will be more clear-cut and consistent, and we won't be needing to go through case after case of retcon story to make that stray author's line mean something it never intended. And I think SG and the earliest writers were just getting the idea of what that meant. The inter-connectivity we've seen in the high-level as a result throughout all media has been amazing, period. I don't see a need to get frustrated at the team and consider their work a failure when literal minutae or easter eggs aren't instantly defined or explained or slip through the cracks. Meanwhile, we have storylines weaving and developing throughout the Rebels Comic, the Star Wars Marvel line, Rebels, Rogue One, EPVII and VIII, the Del Rey novels, and the Disney Press novels. That's amazing.

Not giving a press release on confirmation of the canonical significance of an homage to a funny bunny alien from Ye Olde Days isn't enough to frustrate me, or think LSG is deviating from their notes that Things Are Different. But of course, I'm not you. I get that it frustrates you, and I certainly wish such things about your hobby don't continue to actively cause you stress.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jello in a more concise fashion.

masterskywalker and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, I should get a month-long Wookieevacation. I've tried, but haven't managed to. Old habits die hard, don't they?

Taalcon likes this.
  21. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    If there's anyway to detox from the "Here's a new tidbit, how can/should I catalog it?!" response, I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

So is that Obi-Wan who's giving that big speech to Rey about her being alone, prior to his "These are your first steps" line?

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    4 of 6
    Thoroughly enjoyed this issue.

1) I liked the way the Force vision was displayed visually. (Neat tidbit: Vader breathing spelled out: KSSH KOSH)
    I wonder if I hadn't seen the movie if I would have fully grasped it, but I digress.

2) I liked the info provided in the boxes about Hosnian Prime that we didn't get from the movie, specifically Lanever Villecham and Korr Sella.

3) Visually, the Traiter panel was great, and Helluva pilot page was really cool and well done.

The issue ends with Leia and Han, with Han saying "I saw our son." It's not the strongest ending. It omitted that it's been a while since they've seen each other, but one could argue that it was covered that in the last issue with Han and Maz's conversation. I'm fine with it as it felt like it went with the flow of the issue. I'm sure the next issue will address it before their final goodbye.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Did you notice there's a Neimoidian among the New Republic dignitaries on the balcony?