main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V The Force Awakens #1-6

Discussion in 'Literature' started by paddy wan kenobi, Dec 30, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, I saw that. There's also what looks like a pinkie with an eyeball in the background too.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I skimmed the latest issue in the shop yesterday- the one thing that stood out to me was that they actually have a panel of Phasma falling into the trash compactor. [face_laugh]

3. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    This is meme worthy. :)

[​IMG]

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It was a good issue. I'm looking forward to the finale.

I'm not sure why they didn't leave the stormtrooper joke in when he says, "And I'll drop by weapon." I understand why they changed the Finn and Han nodding joke to a simple hand gesture. Oh well.

5. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if this comic was made as poor as it is on purpose to match TFA. The art, the pacing, the coloring. It's all just so bland and yet I own every issue released. I refuse to read comics in the store. I just feel I need to buy them first.

And to be fair, I've never liked any of the comic book adaptions of any of the films. But the TFA adaption feels so half-assed it hurts. At least there are some very interesting panels in these that make me laugh.

6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Ha ha, what?

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I got a kick out of this, the Phasma falling to the trash compactor panel was gold and I thought ending it with Kylo's "Thank you" moment was an excellently done splash page and a good way to end it. I'm enjoying this generally just to see how they structure the movie's big moments in a comic. This issue probably covered the most significant chunk of movie, time wise, I'd say it's about almost 30 minutes worth of movie since it goes from landing at the Resistance base to Han's death. the final issue should be a whole lot of lightsabering which I'm totally okay with.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I still havn't actually gotten issue #5 yet. Even last Wednesday (two weeks after it was supposed to be released) when I went to the comic shop to pick up the Star Wars and Poe issues it still hadn't come in. Not that I am that worried about it as it isn't like I don't know what the story is going to be about but still a little surprising that it hadn't arrived yet as my comic shop is generally pretty good at getting things on time and if they don't arrive on time they'll tell me when they are supposed to arrive.

Think I am done with movie adaption comics anyway so I likely won't even bother to get it elsewhere if it doesn't arrive.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Welp this is done now. The collector in me is glad to have it but other than that I'm not sure this was anything special other than a few panels here and there (Phasma falling in the trash compactor). At times, especially regarding the art, it feels like they just put this out because they felt like that had to instead of actually being excited to put out a quality adaption of the movie.

Mr. Forest likes this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got the 6th issue. It wasn't bad, but would it be bad of me to say that I am glad that this series is over? I want Marvel to do 8 and 9 just so we can have the entire run done but, they got to add a bit more action in there. To me, the best part of the 6 issues was the last one with the lightsaber duel. The rest, well, they skipped the beginning battle and skimmed the castle fight, just so they can have the talky talky boring parts. I know it sold cause every star wars comic book since Marvel got the license back has done great, but, the series and the Han Solo just seems to drag. Happy with the Doctor Aphra series (though feels very avengy) and the new Maul series that will be coming out.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like this issue because it got to be very comic-book-y, with a lot of splash panels and smaller panels indicating the action of the fight. Overall, I do like this adaptation basically for exactly what it is - how to show TFA in a comic so the fun to me isn't in if there's anything "new" but how they adapt a (very sweeping, fast paced) story into a static medium but still show that sense of momentum. Wendig may not have really added to TFA, which is a shame since Aftermath shows that the guy can come up with nifty ideas adjacent to Star Wars), also the trick of the narration boxes, which I thought was interesting, got dropped about halfway through the series. But his collaboration with Luke Ross got to look at TFA from an interesting different angle.

Probably didn't need to be 6 issues (although I think it lines up with how long the other SW adaptations are) but at least it wasn't Marvel's usual 2 issues and you're out MCU adaptations. I kind of had fun with myself for a "predict a splash page / cliffhanger issue ender" which it generally lined up fairly nicely.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Huh, was just re-reading this and noticed when Han says he "used to" be Han Solo, there's a little image of him with some Wookiees on Kashyyyk, which must be a reference to Life Debt. Pretty neat.

BigAl6ft6 and MagnarTheGreat like this.