main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens Alludes to Rey?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Like the first chapters of the past trilogies where the titles alluded to a certain character (TPM with Palpatine and ANH with Luke) may we now suggest that The Force Awakens alludes to Rey?

Palpatine77 likes this.
  2. George_W_Boushh

George_W_Boushh Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    I think "alludes" is too weak of a word. The film makes it very clear that it is Rey who has the force awakening. However, if you are to believe others on this forum, it could be R2-D2 waking up...hahahahahaha

You are correct, though.

3. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    The film is literally Rey's story. You can hear her theme being used throughout the entire movie.

4. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Yes. And also she's the best protagonist the Star Wars saga has seen.

5. George_W_Boushh

Jun 16, 2001
    I definitely have to agree other than Luke Skywalker. However, she could take his spot at the conclusion of this trilogy. However, I must say that Rey is THE MOST intriguing on-screen character I have ever seen in my years as a cinema goer. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for Rey's story. Whew.... epic.

6. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Luke arc was very well done, but in terms of being an interesting character Rey is miles ahead of him. From the moment she appears on screen I was totally invested in her journey. You can argue that Luke's journey really began in ESB. In ANH he really was more of a supporting character until the Battle of Yavin.

7. George_W_Boushh

Jun 16, 2001
    I will agree with your statement, man. Rey is captivating from the opening shot that we see of her. Whew... yeah... I think that it is perfect to have another strong, bada** character on screen that can be considered with the likes of Ripley, Sarah Conner, Furiosa from Mad Max, and others. I am all for a story in which we follow a strong, amazing female character on her quest for self discovery. On the same token, having a character like her on screen really allows Star Wars to grow beyond the "white, male geek" stereotype. Trust me, there is nothing cooler than to meet other females who love Star Wars. Back in the dark time, the era of the prequels, it was rare for me to find a female Star Wars fan.

8. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I think Rey was abandoned by her parents because she was force sensitive. As a child her response to this traumatic childhood experience was to suppress her force sensitivity. 15 years later the Force Awakens inside her.
    She didn't "learn" to do Jedi mind trick, or "learn" to have force vision, or "learn" to make the force her ally in a duel. She already knows how to do all these things but has built up a wall in her mind. The wall starts to crumble after the Force vision.
    Your average Jedi needs to learn to do things, powerful Jedi learn much quicker than others eg Luke learns in seconds how to use the force to deflect blaster bolts during training ball scene. When a Jedi is very special, their strong natural bond to the force makes them able to instinctively know how to do things and they don't need to learn.
    When she fights Kylo, her existing fighting abilities are amplified massively because a Jedi's strength flows from the force and once that wall crumbles, there is no stopping Rey. Her bond with the force is stronger than Kylo's bond and he is badly injured. He doesn't stand a chance.

9. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    The Force Awakens absolutely refers to Rey.

It was back when the Prequel Trilogy was being released (specifically when Attack of the Clones was announced as the title for Ep. 2) that I noticed a pattern with the film titles. The beginning film of each trilogy refers to a specific person. The Phantom Menace refers to Palpatine, and A New Hope refers to Luke Skywalker. The middle act of each trilogy does not reference a specific character but instead informs us of the general state of the galaxy at the moment: Attack of the Clones refers to the beginning of the Clone Wars, The Empire Strikes Back refers to the Empire gaining the upper hand again after the Rebels' victory. And then we get to the final act of each trilogy: Revenge of the Sith refers to Darth Vader, while Return of the Jedi refers to Anakin Skywalker's return to the light side. Now before you call me out on that last one and say that Vader and Anakin are the same person, I would say that according to Obi-Wan they are not (from a certain point of view).

But going by the title pattern established by George Lucas, The Force Awakens definately seems to refer to Rey. Assuming Disney continues to follow this pattern we can expect Episode 8 to refer to the state of the galaxy in some way, and Episode 9 to again refer to a specific character. I have no guesses at the moment what those titles could possibly be yet. As Yoda once said, "meditate on this, I will."

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Absolutely this is Reys story and Daisy has come in and smashed it IMO. Good performance from her.

11. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I agree with you all.

12. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Yes, the title definitely refers to her awakening.

And she may be the best SW character since Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.

13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I think so. But remember, Snoke asks Ren if he can feel the awakening--the darkness and the light. After he'd told Ren that his embodies both light and the dark and that he's perfect material to shape into a masterpiece. Rey is his mirror. She shows defiant anger when she is probed. While she listens to the Force at the ledge and calms herself and can counter Ren, she gets angry and taps into the dark side. The Skywalkers, and I believe she is one, have anger management issues.

14. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    I liked that they made her a badass without making finn an idiot

This sexism/feminism issue works both ways

15. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Daisy Ridley's rage face is very memorable and you see that a lot in this film.

liquidocelot likes this.
  16. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I was thinking about her "rage face" during the final battle. She looked ready to kill kylo :D which then made me wonder if she was messing around with the dark side a little. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.