main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Well, this pretty much combines my worst-case imaginings for the state of the galaxy. Our 'heroes' launched an insurgency to install a downright corrupt government, and now one of them funds a private army to undermine the government they installed? I may just be joining Jello's side of things as far as the new canon goes.
    If the heroes of the OT have failed so thoroughly - as a Jedi, as a Politician, as a family - the stakes will feel awfully low going into the ST. Especially since according to rumors the core emotional theme will be a condensed rehash of the previous saga: "I was sent by my father to live on a desert world, and I don't know he was a Jedi!", with an Abrams signature reversal 'twist' of the father being good instead of evil this time. Combined, of course, with another reversal in the "I am your son" moment supposed between Kylo and Han. Ugh.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    "These are the droids you're looking for."

AusStig, WMIRTUTSF, Davak24 and 3 others like this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I watched Ex Machina last night, and if Poe Dameron doesn't try to distract General Hux with a deeply unnerving impromptu dance party with C-3PO, I am done with this movie.

BigAl6ft6, Trip, DelRiego and 8 others like this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    If he doesn't tear up the First Order's ****ing dance floor I will be disappointed

5. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Oh snap.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I haven't seen Ex Machina but now you've created this expectation for me.

Havac likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Dance-off, Kylo! You and me!"

AusStig, BigAl6ft6, Grey1 and 2 others like this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    this is even better

9. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    But the Resistance is not undermining the New Republic. They are undermining the First Order, which is corrupting the New Republic. Key difference there. This rumor suggests that those corrupted are also what remains of the Imperial political machine who could not be removed from power after the war. I don't see any of this as a failure on the heroes or the Rebellions part. This would simply be natural and believable consequences from a galactic civil war.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    What makes it odd to me is why are Imperial Senators in support of the First Order and a return to authoritarianism? They were the main victims of Sheev's Empire, after the Jedi of course. If it were Moffs or something, It'd be understandable. But it's established in the first Star Wars movie ever that Palpatine removed the Senate. Why would they be loyal to him?

Dr. Steve Brule, Davak24 and Abadacus like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's face it, there's a long history of SW Senators being utter idiots.

AusStig likes this.
  12. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    The rumor notes that they want a return to the opulence they lived in as Imperial senators before Palpatine "stabbed them in the back" in ANH. So basically the good old days from the end of RotS to ANH where they did nothing but live it up on Coruscant and got money, influence, and power without having to do any actual governing.

AusStig and Darth Caliban like this.
  13. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    But why are they following the guy that clearly worships Sheev and everything he did? Hell his enforcer is even an open Vader fanboy

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I haven't seen anything about Snoke worshiping Palpatine. The rumors suggest that the First Order's official position is a return to the Empire in its pre-ANH days. Why wouldn't they want to follow him?

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't think it's evident that Snoke is a Palpatine fanatic. Actually, he might not be. The First Order, even if similar design-wise, might be very different from the Empire. It's only Kylo that we know is a Vader fan.

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The rumor is that Snoke, the leader of the FO, wants the Republic Senate to become the old Imperial Senate pre-ANH. The Senators lost their power and influence thanks to Palpatine, and now want it back, because apparently, they're not getting enough out of the NR.

So now, Leia has her old collegues to fight, along with fighting the FO. Enemies outside and inside.
    I like it, because it pits the Resistance as the underdogs, even in a situation where Leia and co should be on top. Of course, she was part of said Imperial Senate once, so she probably couldn't bar those old politicians from seeking office initially, after Endor.

The lesson she's learning is that it wasn't just Palpatine and Vader ruining the galaxy, it was almost everyone associated with the political regime. Her and a few others like Mothma being the exceptions, back then.

17. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    So if it's true, the ST will not only be a rehash of the OT, but also of the PT (splitting Senate, separatism, etc). Nice.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think people are way too quick to use the word "rehash."

19. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    No kidding. Between the OT and PT and their numerous scenarios and themes, I think it would be pretty hard for the ST to not have any similarities.

DigitalMessiah and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    It's like poetry... It rhymes
    EDIT: In all seriousness, though, aren't these films going to be based (loosely) off of GL's story treatments?

AusStig and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I bet there will be a lot of cool new stuff in store, but... I also don't trust this director.

[​IMG]

22. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm giving him a shot.

I really do want to be into SW like I was back in the day again.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Didn't we learn some months ago that they chose not to use GL's story treatments?

24. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
  25. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm not against similarities. But there's a point where its a little TOO similar.

I hesitate to comment in detail on the basis of leaks that may or may not be accurate.

That said, Rebels for instance through season 1 kept reusing iconic lines from the OT in places where they didn't need to be because....in your face nostalgia. That wasn't well done.

However, by contrast, also in Rebels, Ezra's journey is of course reflective of Luke's training, and because its almost completely different it works as a reference to the original.

The question is how heavy-handed JJ will be with reusing themes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.