main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Resigned to all those TIEs being shot down, Jello? It's when they go after bigger ships that you should really start worrying; they've blown away a few of those too -- and it's too late to uninvent Proton Torpedoes!

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's official.

I hope one of the films is about Wicket. He could befriend a shipwrecked little girl and then go to live with a Hermit! Those Dathomir witches are cool; one of them could be in it too.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I demand a documentary about Daiman creating the universe. Or a wookiee musical.

TheRedBlade and Esg like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

"One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan"

....I can totally live with that!

Ulicus likes this.
  5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    "...new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways."

Yes. That's rich.

Honestly, I'd rather have a good Yoda novel than movie. But I'm of the old ways.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mara Jade: Hand of the Emperor

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You guys are all so terribly negative. What did you do, study at the Trip Grump Academy™? :p

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I blame the ST fourms

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Question (particularly to Jello, who seems to know these things), should it properly be 'forums' or 'fora'?

Zorrixor likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Personally, my absolute favorite thing about Star Wars is that it's such a large, coherent (though this one is at risk), multi-media universe. We get to view this universe across all popular forms of media. So I'm glad that the medium of film is going to be used to tell more Star Wars stories, as long as they remain creative and interesting. Films being released does not have to be the death of novels or comics. I like to think they can coexist, at least mostly peacefully (though with occasional clashes; the prospect of a utopian universe bored the Lord Daiman).

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Or a Wookiee musical about Daiman creating the universe.

RC-1991, Zorrixor, Esg and 2 others like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh] I would pay soooo much money to see that.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Point. Point indeed.

14. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    This is awesome news. Crossing fingers for Yoda, especially since so little is written about him, less chances of effecting continuity.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I can't believe that nobody's ever before taken the opportunity to exploit Star Wars' natural potential for further storytelling!

16. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    fora is the plural.
    For multiple market places.

Forums is the plural, for multiple forums.

Pick your language.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It honestly can be a whole different ball game when it comes to visual media (not counting comics). If you flood the book and comic shelves, you might overload a portion of your audience, but it's doubtful that you'll drive off any fans (just look at how many comics come out per week). Over saturate in the film market, with all of the promotion that comes with it, and you run the risk of making your audience sick of whatever it is you're selling. It's why I highly doubt that we'll see two Hobbit movies this year.

Not film, but perhaps one of the greatest examples of over saturation in recent times is with Guitar Hero. At one point, that series was on top of the world, with each successive game becoming one of the greatest moneymakers in the industry. What did Activision do after acquiring the license from Harmonix? Over saturate to kingdom come. It got to a point where there was six games a year, most of them poorly made; the public got sick of not only brand, but the genre, and that's why music video games are in steep decline, despite Harmonix still releasing quality products. They took an interesting and profitable franchise, and completely gutted it. I'd hate to see that happen to Star Wars.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    They will never stop making Star Wars movies until they start sucking so bad that even the fact that it's a freaking Star Wars feature film won't be enough to put enough butts in the theater seats. At that point Star Wars films will die out for at least a generation, having gone out not with a bang, but with a wet fart.

We might get some awesome flicks in the meantime, though.

instantdeath likes this.
  19. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    This is pretty mindblowing. I'm not sure that a Yoda stand-alone would be feasible - that's a lot of backwards-talk for two hours, unless they go the Dark Rendezvous route and make it not actually about Yoda. A solid Fett action film would be more reliable, and Kinburg has success in the genre. I'd much rather have Kasdan take on a heavier piece - something Dark Times related, perhaps? Jimmy Smits is still in prime Bail Organa-playing territory as far as looks go.

my kind of scum likes this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Not to dampen anyone's excitement too much, but didn't we basically already know about all this ever since the Episode VII announcement?

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    We heard about the other movies, but there was probably an assumption they would come out after Episode IX. This now seems they are trying to do something like Avengers and have spin-off movies about individual characters in between the major trilogy of movies.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Ah, I guess for some reason I always assumed they'd be doing them concurrently with the new trilogy.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    While I'd also enjoy a Rogue Squadron film, I suspect anything like that won't happen until they've hooked a new audience on enough Jedi and lightsaber fights that they start thinking they need to do something different for once.

Right now, an X-Wing film would be up against things like Halo or any of the countless other military sci-fi series, so I can see us being stuck with things that are focused on ideas only found in Star Wars for the first few spin offs.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In the minorly offchance that an X-Wing film ever reaches the light of day... Ewan McGregor's nephew should play Wedge. The tradition must live on.

(anything ST must have Lawson... which goes without saying.)

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Being serious for a moment, as much as I groaned inside a little when you suggested them rewriting Bane's era for a third time, Lugija's comment in the Cad Bane thread makes me realise it's actually quite possible that some Clever Guy would come along and think they can't be having two important movie characters named Bane and renaming Bane to avoid confusion. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.