main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    You never heard it from me.

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  2. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

It's quotes like that that make me worry about the ST.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Only read one Karpyshyn book, but the words "mature" and "serious" did not come to mind.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep. Allston's the only one who I agreed with on both questions. He just gets it.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, I am not even sure where to begin with what is wrong with this:

1. A New Hope was panned as a kids movie, and look how that turned out.

2. The guy who made Empire Strikes Back actually like A New Hope better.

3. But what possible standard are the PT more kids movies than the OT. Seriously, I cannot not think of one way they are more kiddy, and several ways they are not.

4. And on that note, it was the boring adult stuff that a lot of people complained about (along with the dialogue)

5. And, oh yeah, dark=/=serious=/=good. Necessarily anyway.

.........Now, granted, Karpyshyn he isn't actually involved in writing the new movies...but...the sad thing is how many people are going to agree with him.

It is shockingly common for people to accuse anything they don't like of being kiddy even when that has nothing to do with the issues being portrayed.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought people felt ROTS had returned to the "darker, more serious tone".

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Though I do feel the better Star Wars movies are the "darker" ones (Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith of their respective trilogies), I'm not at all a fan of Drew Karpyshyn's brand of "dark" and "mature". You know, where the villains are dumb brutal psychos, heroes are unbearably self-righteous, and lots of flat cardboard characters die.

If that's dark, I'll pass.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You can make it dark and serious while having it for kids.

The Clone Wars Cartoon has featured episodes with Child kidnapping/slavery included suggested sexual slavery undertones/Banking regulation/multiple beheadings and people being tortured to death, and lots and lots of force choking.

So it is possible to be both.

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I think Aarron Allston's comment below was probably one of the better ones:

It's sadly probably the best case scenario we can all hope for. I would love to see the EU intact and preserved (and despite what many say, it's not that hard to do, and no, it doesn't "strangle" creativity for the ST writers), but realistically, I feel that Luasfilm will wipe the slate clean, incorporating perhaps a few popular EU elements and characters into the ST.

It frustrates me how many fans disparage the EU and its contributions both to the Star Wars saga, and the Star Wars brand itself, and now with the ST looming, these folks have come out in full force.

But yes, overall, I think this Q&A was a tad disappointing.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Let them come.

This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn.

None shall pass.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The guy who said that died. Just sayin'.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Jar Jar Binks is the epitome of a character made to appeal to the younger demographic. You could also argue that the much larger emphasis on spectacle, with the unbearably long and boring podrace (that to me felt like it was only in there to sell the plethora of video games based on it) and much larger volume of lightsaber fights makes them more "kiddy", but you could also argue that was simply George going overboard with special effects. The romance between Anakin and Padme in general was very childish, but that's probably more a reflection of the mediocre writing than any intent to be childish.

Of course, Star Wars has never exactly been grimdark.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The podrace was there because Lucas is a racing dork. See: American Grafitti (also not a kid's movie).

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm fine with racing scenes in general, but I feel the podrace in Episode 1 was exceptionally poorly done (you really shouldn't be falling asleep in a high speed racing scene). Could just be me. Could be that my reaction to the scene has more to do with the fact that it's hard to care the slightest bit about the people in the race [face_not_talking]

Despite all the individual elements I hate about it, I don't hate TPM. Really. :p

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I didn't even enjoy the Podrace as a six-year old; I would always skip that section. Actually, I really didn't enjoy the Tatooine section as a whole from TPM.

Esg likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The podrace was there because Lucas has seen Ben-Hur. See: Ben-Hur.

:p

Blithe and RC-1991 like this.
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    To be fair, unless he was a Gen'Dai, he was going to die eventually :p

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Reading the author's comments on the ST, I feel like the authors have secret names on these boards. They sound a lot like some of the people here... o_O

Oh, and I'm surprised that more than one of the authors want Lando as Chancellor! :D Most seem to like the idea of Jaina or a female protagonist being the main hero. Most assume the Sith are going to be the bad guys. Most think Han and Leia should die in each other's arms, and that Luke should die alone by his own choice.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    You got me. I'm Troy Denning.

Zorrixor, RC-1991 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  20. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    And I'm Paul Davids.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Can I be Drew Karpyshyn?

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Maybe when you're older.

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm the prestigious Kevin J. Anderson. And yes, I'm dictating this post rather than typing it myself.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm Hollace. We met at a screening of THX-1138, remember? Then we wrote those Star Wars novels everyone loves!

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You did read/watch beyond Fellowship, right? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.