main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Oh boy. Sounds like things are going to get a bit crazy...

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I wonder if this is some kind of sentient weapon that feeds on human spirits.

cthugha and Havac like this.
  3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    well it's hard to imagine that could be anything other than Episode VII continuity related . . .

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's not a fact, that's a massive assumption. And one already somewhat wavy based on comments from Lucas (mentioned mining the EU during the merger announcement interviews) and Kasdan (who mentioned maybe using EU material in his young Han movie, even if it's not based on the HST).

Again, don't automatically assume professionals will find reference material a burden. Just because they may not be bound by it doesn't mean they might not leverage it.

Though it's not impossible that it may have some E7 connection (Denning has reconfigured his books in the past at the last moment to accommodate upcoming or more recent works like DNT for LOTF or Apocalypse with Mortis, etc), I doubt story details have filtered down to licensees at this point yet, given that no script has been written yet (which is usually when Del Rey gets their reference info for lead-in novels, etc).

Not to mention Crucible was announced prior to the Disney merger (and DHC seemingly finding out about the same time as everyone else doesn't bode well for DR knowing an earlier), so it was somewhat along in development before they even knew E7 was going to happen.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Bombadmiral Binks.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    As a detective, i'm not allowed to believe in coincidence.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Its an opinion not an assumption and how is it wavy and what comments, all I have read is that they are not going to use EU stories, if you can show me where they have said otherwise.

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I'd prefer if they rewrite Ackbars history and do a PT special edition, replacing JarJar with ACKBAR!

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I had a weird dream... the Sequels retconned the OT..

Kenobi is not dead.. he merely teleported out of his clothes and ever since hid after escaping the Death Star using Force Doppelganger to visit Luke while sipping a corellian brandy on Zeltros..

same dream had Luke's female Skywalker daughter be a kid Callista had with him, he never knew until after FOTJ :p

but more seriously..

IF the Sequels contradict the EU I want Luuke to appear.. as evil Mastermind, cloned from the hand lost at Bespin.. apprenticed to the Clone Emperor and supported by Darth Maul released from Carbonite, with Fringe help through leader of the Shadow Collective (Hutt Council, Mandalorians and Black Sun reunited) Rotta the Hutt, with Thrawn in the "Tarkin" role of genius mastermind.

give me that combination of ultraevil enemies and I might like it despite EU loss.. then again, nope, I keep my EU.

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    being nostalgic in the middle of a pile of comics... how comes nobody ever cosplayed Ackbar in his NR uniform:

[​IMG]

or his formal lawyer dress in black:

[​IMG]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was an opinion which you claimed was based on a fact. That fact is what is actually an assumption.

You won't find a single statement saying they are not going to use EU stories- however, you will find a few that specify the sequel trilogy will be an original storyline, not an adaptation of a pre-existing book (all of this was in response to the early "it'll adapt the Thrawn Trilogy!" speculation [which had no chance of being true in the first place]), which some news sites/anti-EU fans interpreted as "The story is not adapting the Thrawn Trilogy! There's no other way to interpret things- it'll ignore the EU!".

I believe it was in the Lucas/Kathleen video interviews where he mentioned the other material they could draw upon.

The Kasdan quote was a more recent interview when they officially announced the young Han spin-off. He said it wasn't going to be based on the HST but that he might draw something from it.

12. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    There has been no official announcement about a Han Solo spinoff. The only specific films confirmed at the moment are the ST.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, meant when they confirmed Kasdan was writing the spinoff.

(although ill note most news articles about that highlight how they won't be based on EU content, but one of them did have him mention the possibility)

14. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I sincerely do not want to annoy anyone...but in my opinion I think that the inevitable thing that will happen in the near future is this:

Pre-Return of the Jedi EU will remain and be expanded upon especially Old Republic Era

Post-Return of the Jedi EU will have two timelines...

Timeline 1will be related to the EU already present so far.

Timeline 2 will be a new timeline. Multimedia franchises related to the new movie (Episode 7) will start appearing in 2014. Episode 7 will come out and backed by loads of books, comics, maybe even tv series related to characters, planets etc....and an obvious lead up to Episode 8 (kind of like the clone wars between Episode 2 and 3)

Timeline 1 will become more and more inactive as time goes by....authors will conclude what was started but ultimately, .the shift to timeline 2 is inevitable...

As decades pass the continuum will be complete....with everything related to Timeline 1 being established as "Before Episode 7 EU" or something on those lines...

This is just what I think - just speculation.

People will obviously compare the "old EU" to the overlapping material and talk as if the new material is the waste in the deepest sewers of Coruscant, but as time passes their voices will be dampened by new legions of fans just like prequel-haters' opinions became more and more meaningless as the years rolled on.....

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What happens when pre-ROTJ EU and Post-ROTJ EU tie into each other?

16. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    What happens when pre-ROTJ EU and Post-ROTJ EU tie into each other?

I think you mean "old ROTJ EU" and new.....

That would be awesome as I really like most of the EU stories so far, I have been following them for a number of years (though I'm more of an old republic fan I must admit). I think some unforgettable characters have been created - Mara Jade, Jacen etc....but I find it very difficult to believe that the previously established EU would tie in with the new....it would take master storytelling skills....I am not saying it is not possible....i am just saying that i don't believe it will even be tried...and even if it is...i am skeptical about how it may be pulled off.

I admit however, that I hope that time will prove me wrong.....

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant pre and post ROTJ on the timeline (such as Exar Kun appearing in both TOTJ and JAT).

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i actually hope the tv series in the NJO tv series

19. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    How that be a problem if you got rid of JAT? It's not like you need JAT for TOTJ to make sense, right?

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I never expected Disney to keep Kun while decanonizing Gantoris and Kyp. That's not to say they can't or won't do that.

21. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't think at any point Lucasfilm (remember, it's Lucasfilm in charge of these decisions, not Disney) will give a press conference announcing "character X is now non-canon!". Instead, we'll just be left to figure it out for ourselves when the ST doesn't match up to the current EU. The replacement spin-off material will soon follow,

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Of course they'd decanonize works rather than characters.

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No, but there would be loose ends like the Yuuzhan Vong setup in Rogue Planet and Outbound Flight, and the first three arcs of Vector that would lose their payoff. Plus what would you do with stories that stretch from pre-ROTJ to post-ROTJ, like Crosscurrent or "The Last One Standing"?

It would also depend on when exactly the cutoff point is. Disney's spinoff films and TV series don't have to be post-ROTJ, they could take place anywhere. What if they want to make a Dark Times movie, or a post-Yavin movie, or a movie that sets up TPM, or a movie that bridges the ten years between TPM and AOTC? If they decide to keep some of the EU and throw out the rest, maybe only the Old Republic-era stories are safe. Until Disney decides to make a movie about the creation of the Jedi and Sith, of course. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't think they'll ever make a statement to that effect either. Future reference books are just going to get more sparse...

25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Disney is well known for its subliminal messages in its movies (do a google search for example...) - I wonder if Disney will enforce any on Lucasfilm? Perhaps for a frame of films (ala Fight Club), we may see for example, a huge amphibian style penis appear on a Hutt. For a fraction of a second, your brain will question just what they heck it saw...

Zorrixor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.