main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, I think Arndt would certainly have done the research. Whether there was an overall executive decision to create new SkySolos is another matter.

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It's also quite common for one name to be used in-family and by family friends but the real (official) name to be something else entirely. See the Chiss custom of 'Shadow Children'.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If they want Luke to have a daughter and not a son, the EU won't stop them.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Scope for that too, 'Children' (plural) mentioned in CoPL. Did one of Luke's old flames have one and not tell him?

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    And if they want me to believe it, they will undo the post-NJO and give Luke and Mara a daughter in addition to Ben.

6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    The prophecy in CoPL is interesting. She mentions Isolder being killed by Gethzerion. If you want to try to interpret it in an allegorical or metaphorical way, I suppose you could have Gethzerion symbolize Caedus as they're both dark force users. I suspect with that level of abstraction though, you could just as easily interpret Luke's children as being the Jedi order itself.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I still don't like the way Isolder went out. Caedus was truly a moron at that point in the story. In fact, though I like the rest of LOTF, the horror they did to Jacen is the worst thing to come out of that series.

8. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Oh, I'm not a fan of LOTF at all. I think the people in the thread asking why it is disliked articulated all its problems rather well. Honestly not a fan of anything set after The Unifying Force featuring the core characters.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    makes references more tricky, as if you reference a character... from a story that is no longer even possible... what are you referencing?

exactly. i find that confusing. either they are keeping the basic skeleton of the eu intact and just filling in some new meat, or they are destroying the entire eu, and building a new history that is foreign to us, except what was in the original trilogy

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OR they have a secret superweapon that none of us have yet worked out!

Seriously - how many of you active in this thread, before seeing Star Trek 3 years back, would have predicted it was going to reboot the series in the exact way it did? i.e. creating a new timeline that could not exist without the old one therefore, after a fashion, following it sequentially while allowing new stories to be told.

Thinking Abrams is going to repeat that trick is a fallacy, as smart magicians don't repeat tricks, but they do rely on audience attention being on their old ones to develop new ones the audience don't see coming. I'm expecting a masterstroke - what it'll be I have no idea, but I won't be surprised if it does for Wars what Abrams, last one did for Trek.

instantdeath likes this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Abrams has been given all the tools to make something like that happen: he has Waru, he just needs the courage to use him.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Waru's beneath him and vulnerable to lens flare!

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He could also simply use Daiman as a framing device for the film, as he discovers that he's become bored with his original creation, and wants to build another universe, one with considerably more lens flare. What Daiman doesn't count on is that the over abundance of lens flare actually changed the entire fabric of time and led to an entirely different future.

To be serious, I'm skeptical that Abrams will try something similar to what he did with Trek. Time travel has long been a part of Star Trek, where it's never (well, flow walking) been a part of Star Wars. Plus I can imagine the executives asking him to make a straight action adventure film as the Star Wars sequel, rather than get into existential territory. I'd love it if he did try something like that, though, and did it well.

Darth_Pevra and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Imagination, I'm booorrred. What plaything can you offer me today?" - Daiman

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I wish Knight Errant hadn't been cancelled. I wanted this guy to die in a fire. :(

Why do all the good arcs–Invasion, Knight Errant–get cancelled?

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It hasn't been cancelled, exactly -- JJM just has yet to pitch another series. ;)

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, he needs to get on it, before the Star Wars license gets sold to Marvel and they focus only on ST-related comics! :)

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Fixed.

Point Given likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Daiman, the Destroyer would like to have a word with you...

[​IMG]

Oh, and I'm pretty sure whoever drew that picture of Abeloth was trolling us all.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe something something about a cyclical universe.

Or parallel universes. Not much other options.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the first Star Wars comic published by Marvel after a decades-long absence will be "Waru's Big Retcon Fest Adventure" which will, by the end, set up the post ROTJ timeline into a more ST friendly manner and bring Jaxxon back to the forefront.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Me, for one, would welcome our new Marvel overlords. I am a fan of the x-men and also enjoyed the old Marvel Star Wars, which gave us some really iconic characters like Orman Tagge. But sadly, these characters were all but ignored by DH later.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, I'd argue that Dark Horse have been very respectful towards the Marvel material. Couldn't have been cheap to buy the publishing rights for the Marvel Star Wars series, and they made a point of compiling the series in omnibus editions, when they could have just as easily swept it under the rug.

I really like Marvel comics, but I don't think their current business model wouldn't be a good fit for Star Wars at all. I certainly wouldn't expect to see series like Dawn of the Jedi, Legacy or Agent of the Empire (though that last one even Dark Horse wouldn't keep afloat :() under Marvel. Add in their tendency to completely ignore the TPB market, and I don't see Marvel taking many chances with the Star Wars license.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They did the Omnibus editions because they made them money. To think that they did it to respect Marvel seems naive to me, especially since they barely reused inventions of the Marvel era.

I like Dark Horse too, at least some of their series, but I am still curious what Marvel could do with the license. I would love to see Valance or Orman Tagge back. Marvel could also do some really sweet non-canon crossovers with their own universe, stories that would sell like hotcakes (even though Marvel characters are usually far more powerful than Star Wars ones).

Btw., of the three series you mentioned I only liked Agent. Dawn and Legacy were not all that good, imo.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's hoping that Marvel keeps the Dark Horse authors and illustrators!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.