main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Or they could RETELL THE ENTIRE SAGA!!!!! With new actors!!!! And a slight spin on things!! It's all the rage in Hollywood these days

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    But they weren't descended from The Chosen One!

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Tim:

Well, we've no solid idea how Force inheritance really works. Luke (we've been told, I'm told) inherited his father's talent in full. Could be that he could have inherited his mother's non-talent in full, too.

Then again, the Emperor supposedly "knew, as I did, that were Anakin to have any offspring they would be a threat to him" -- which I suppose implies that Anakin could have never had anything but powerful Force users for children.

Still, the unlikelyhood makes it even more appealing to me.

I was never clear on whether Revan's son was actually a squib, or just a dude who chose politics over Jedi training.

4. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    You forget the awesome SEX AND VIOLENCE(!!!) That Marvel has in their comics!!! Your cries over DarkHorse's loss WILL be quelled by offerings of steamy scenes with Twi'leks and seeing a Star Wars version of the Hellfire Club from X-Men. lol

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I could go for Allana being shot in the face by Kade Kilgore Dynoblaze.

Oh and for a space opera with sex and violence - Hamilton is the guy to go to!

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, good, because if Mara gave birth to a Squib, Luke might start asking some questions.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    A SW X-men crossover would be interesting!

8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Jello:

Naw. Force intuition, dawg. He will know, either way.

I'm sorry I called you dawg.

Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sadly, the odds of the franchise ever really utilizing the dramatic potential of a Forceless Skywalker are pretty slim, but that line can be read in other ways--look at what actually happened in the OT. Luke didn't lead to the Emperor's downfall because he was strong in the Force, but because Anakin loved his son. A Sith Lord having a non-Sith family will always be a threat.

Ulicus likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's certainly an interpretation I like, but Ben's whole "as I did" thing that seems to spoil it, a little. Obi-Wan didn't see any hope for Vader following RotS, so it seems a bit much to suggest that he thought that Anakin's offspring would engender the Emperor's defeat through the power of love back when he first hid the pair.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He's donating that money to charity, and he's the one who decided it was time to mke the ST (but allow others like Kathleen Kennedy to make it) long before he decided to seel to Disney.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Even a bit earlier than that: TESB had the Episode V title at release.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well all we really know is that both things have been developing for a good couple years now; it's impossible to say which is the chicken and which the egg.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought he was referring to the fact that GL ALWAYS intented ANH to be "Episode Something" but didn't want to confuse the audience. In fact, http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/in...-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix/ shows that ANH was Episode VI at some point before ESB was released.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    We were discussing in #eu, however, that the whole "oh, it was always about the Skywalkers" thing probably came later. I suspect that if there was going to be a protagonist of the earlier episodes, it was originally intended to be the "someone" Vader crowed would be unable to stop them "this time". Presumably because he'd been taken out in the last movie.

Though I suppose that someone could have been Anakin Skywalker, given he and Vader weren't amalgamated until TESB. [face_thinking]

"Watch after my son while I fight the Empire, Ben. If anything happens to me..."

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    When does he crow that? I feel like I'm missing something really interesting here (it's been a long time since I've last watched the films...)

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I so feel like watching the OT just to try and pick out who will be retconned as the new antagonist.

My money's on Sy Snootles.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Guys, Marvel might well want to get their hands on the license. Disney might very well start asking why - since it's Star Wars - it's not the best selling thing on the racks. I just think that'd be an unrealistic expectation driven by a misunderstanding of the comics market. Like how Wizards of the Coast are under insane pressure from Hasbro over D&D because they don't understand why it's not doing as well for them as Magic: the Gathering. Disney might not understand that, and Marvel might not care, given their long history of nearly collapsing the comics market (lol, remember that time they created Diamond's total monopoly through awful and inept business practices?), but I'd hope that LFL are paying a bit more attention. Someone upthread mentioned that Marvel pitched for the license last time - which I didn't know. True, that's proof that they're interested, but it's also proof that LFL didn't jump on the offer just because it's Marvel, which I'm sure they would have done if they thought Marvel was a ticket to top sales and epic success. Let's hope they exercise the same judgement this time.

Otherwise I think we're in for impossible-to-find trade paperbacks, double-shipping screwing with creative teams, crossovers and big name one-off events over ongoing series, and nothing at all adventurous because of higher sales expectations.

...at which point I feel like I've been a real jerk to Marvel, so I'll end with an endorsement. I read Captain Marvel #6 today, and no lie, dudes, the first six issues of that comic are absolutely aces. Grab it when it comes out in trade. If you can find it before it goes out of print... :p

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Anyone on here know when we will get more solid answers to all this?

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Stuff the solid, bring on the laxative effect ... I want the info to flow! :)

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They said don't expect any news until the summer of 2013.

22. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    My money is on never getting a clear answer to the EU canonicity issue. We'll get told what we were told about TCW. "It'll be fine, we'll sort it out later, there'll probably be a few glitches," and then we'll just have to wait and see if it actually ends up effectively wiping out everything we know or if it's possible to reconcile it.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I imagine it'll be - if we break it, it's broken, if we don't, it's not. When was the last time we had notice that EU was getting steamrolled? :p

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I'd be so pissed if SW does not die before I do.. I mean, I need to know its end, every tiny storybit.

Darth_Kevin likes this.
  25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    We should have had official notice when the Birds Nest trilogy was released, or whatever the heck that was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.