main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Come to think of it, imagine if Disney actually did pair the movies up with random SW shorts? Think of the wealth of things they could get away with in 5-10-minute increments.

2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, it was fun the first time but I'm really not ready for another nine-year round of this. And the babble is going to be a thousand times louder now with Twitter and YouTube and other stuff that didn't exist then. Ugh.

[​IMG]

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You mean like the Clone Wars micro-series?

Master_Keralys likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still don't understand all of the EU hate in the Episode VII forum...

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The deal doesn't seem so bad in terms of animated shorts before each movie... and the different styles used, possibly different characters used... I am very much looking forward to this.

However, the castle is going to take some getting used to.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, I really don't see the big problem with making the main character/protagonist female . . . it sounds awesome.

Awesome, that is, as long as this character isn't being used as some sort of male fantasy/fanservice type of thing. 'cause apparently sci-fi/fantasy is willing to have female leads, so long as they're still for drooling over or whatever.

7. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    That series was amazing. You'd have to pray non stop that any shorts they made were half as good lol. I'm still mad that it's no longer available on itunes and the DVD collection has up and vanished everywhere except ebay.

8. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    It's not too bad. Most of it is from Purists that never liked anything past the 6 films and consider anything EU to not count. And now that these films are coming out there's a chance they get the last laugh =((

9. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Well, yeah one questions why they all don't just open up with force choke first thing. Realistically speaking nothing any of the characters do to "fight" make sense. The Napoleonesque CHARRGGEEE battles of the Clone Wars (see how long a Clone/Jedi "Commander" would last telling US troops "LETS CHARGE In A STRAIGHT LINE TOWARDS INCOMING MACHINE GUN FIRE!!", doing a 360 spin (a basic no no) and flailing unnecessarily when sword fighting (Ironically the OT is more realistic in terms of sword fighting than episodes I-III. And there's a funny You Tube video that breaks down the flaws in the sword fights), no personal shields like the droidekas have for non jedi, etc etc. Unfortunately like you said it needs to be showy cause realistic fights scenes would be over in about 30 seconds.

Ah but my friend if/once Marvel gets the license 5 internet dollars says they'll be a crossover and we'll get the....CANON answers for who wins in a fight. And it'll will probably end up like Marvel vs DC....the most popular characters win...which will be Wolverine, Iron Man, Boba Fett, Vader, and Luke standing upon everyone else. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! [face_devil][face_devil]

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I certainly hope not. I'd rather Lit have the last laugh.

fistofan1, Jedi_Glover and Zorrixor like this.
  11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I guess we'll finally find out what the Imperial Palace really looks like...

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The funny part? A surprising amount of EU novels are better written than the prequel trilogy.

13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Should we demand that a good EU writer fine-tune Ep 7?

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Luceno? That way even if the entire post-ROTJ EU became non-canon, it would all still get referenced.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Pfft. Without George anymore, their minds should be exploding in confusion at the incompatibility of their years of hating all things not by Lucas when now faced with movies... not by Lucas... O...M...G... logic... does... not... compute... :p

Seriously, I'm genuinely waiting for purists who dislike the film in a few years to dismiss the Disney Trilogy as EU. :p

Nom von Anor, Esg, Zeta1127 and 7 others like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not to mention the state of Lucasfilm wouldn't be nearly as profitable as it is now without comics, best-selling video games, and consistent NYT bestselling-novels to keep the interest up in the franchise during the post-ROTS years.

A lot of the Ep7 forum-folk were either lurkers or completely left after ROTS. Who was keeping the fire lit when they called it quits?

JackG, fistofan1, Ulicus and 9 others like this.
  17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Of course, their argument is that a large amount of the EU novels are NOT well written. lol

Really? Not everything is of the same quality? Shocking.

18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I see what you did there :)

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just like the people who were super excited about the prequels until they actually came out. Then they were all like "Pfft, those aren't canon. OT only!"

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm still hoping they replace the Disney castle intro with the Imperial Palace. :)

JackG, TrakNar, Zeta1127 and 4 others like this.
  21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Or Mickey spraying Force Lightning....

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You may not see a Disney logo at all. Lucasfilm is it's own company within Disney. They may treat it like a different distribution label owned by Disney, like Touchstone Pictures, Dimension Films, etc.

Heck, once the Paramount deal with Disney expires (I think Avengers 2 would fulfill the original 9 film deal signed after Iron Man 1 & The Incredible Hulk came out), I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel is treated the same way and the film just opens with the Marvel Studios logo, no Disney logo, starting with Ant-Man/Phase Three.

So, if Disney is using Marvel as a model for LFL, then Episode 7 may very well just open with the LFL logo.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd go one further - put the damned Fox logo up there just for consistency's sake.
    I have a friend who's alright with pre-OT EU, but refuses to accept that there's any story worth telling past RotJ. This week hasn't convinced her otherwise.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That was me a couple of years back, I didn't even read TTT because for me the story ended in Episode VI. But while posting here I slowly turned positive to the idea that the galaxy wasn't suddenly free after RotJ. I still haven't read anything past RotJ except TTT, though, but that's because I'm still between episodes I and II in my chronology project. TTT was for general knowledge.

25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    [​IMG]

Dude, what's wrong with you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.