main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But then you'll be rotating wrong. Where does it end?

CooperTFN, Valin__Kenobi and cthugha like this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I suggested Del Rey should reverse the canon level hierarchy by putting out film novelisations that retcon the movies to fit the books... let's see G-Canon see how it likes the taste of its own medicine for once! :p

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I like that idea. I like that idea a lot. Why don't we have a "Hell yes, I LOVE this" orgasmic button?

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For your viewing enjoyment:

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They've done that before and it doesn't reverse the canon level hierarchy.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This thread is becoming EU Anonymous.

TrakNar likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *laughs*

My name is Sinre, and I'm an EUoholic?

8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Welcome Sinre.

:p

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Admitting it is always the hardest part!

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Admit it y'all: who actually thought they could eventually read/appropriate every EU source in existence at one time or another?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Hey, some of us still cling to that dream. :p

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, the franchise will slow down and probably end eventually, so if you're young or have discovered how to cheat death then you could do it.

13. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    When I was 13 and I thought the only stuff there was was the Bantam books timeline in the front of my Bantam books. I remember panicking when I realised there were comics too because a graphic novel was like a whole month's allowance. Then I found out about WEG and that half of that was out of print, at which point I gave up. Which was really a fairly excellent life choice.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that Disney (apparently) plans to make "non-Saga" movies, I doubt there will be a "new EU" to accomodate the ST because (I think) the original point of the EU was, "The movies won't cover this, but this will."

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The impetus for this thread begs to differ.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Eventually Star Wars will lose its luster and fade away, as everything does. It may come back with a movie every few decades, but the EU will slow dramatically when it's no longer all that profitable.

I'd bet the drop off will be in my lifetime.

How is Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and every Edgar Rice Burroughs franchise doing? Pretty much how I described.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Giving up at WEG is probably the worst thing you've ever done.

18. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Nah, I just learned to treat every second hand sourcebook I found as a rare and serendipitous gift and gave myself permission to skip Darksaber until years later. ;)

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It did, it's called "the period between ROTJ and the Thrawn Trilogy". Star Wars consisted of roughly about 80% Ewoks during that period.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What was the other 20%? Natural flavors and red#5?

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Droids, probably!

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty much.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Well you're right about Red Five, in a sense. :p

CT-867-5309 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    *raises hand

Thing is, it's much easier for me, since I'm an amoral douche who has no problem with pirating crap that's no longer in print (thankfully, many Star Wars comics are no longer in print... made my life much easier).

In the end, though, it was the lack of free time that won, rather than what kills most people (the money involved). Now I'll settle for reading all the major novels/comics. Actually getting somewhat close to that.

I considered "completing" WEG, but I gave up because I had no idea where to start, no idea where I could find a list that includes all WEG material, and no idea where I could obtain most of said material.

I've also never played an RPG in my life, so I'm not sure how useful a lot of the WEG stuff would be to me.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh, I don't care about the gaming stuff either. They're just good storytellers. They "get" Star Wars in a way many works still don't.

They're responsible for making the galaxy seem like a huge, living, breathing place. They moved the story beyond the Big Three, and beyond the main villains. For that alone they ought to be praised to the skies. Don't know where to start?

You've read Dark Empire, right? Read the Dark Empire Sourcebook -- see how it makes so much more sense.

Read the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook, or the various book sourcebooks. Read the TaB sourcebook. Read the SotE Sourcebook. Read the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook.

Want some really good WEG? Read the Adventure Journals, or Lords of the Expanse. The adventure books even have a ton of great EU material in them -- my favorites are Mission to Lianna and the Far Orbit Project.

And I'd be completely remiss if I didn't mention the Galaxy Guides.

Seriously. Read WEG. It'll change your life.

CT-867-5309 and instantdeath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.