main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah... It'll be Wookiee Nights, with special prosthetics.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    what do Wookiees need prosthetics for?

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    but to get this topic back on track: Chewie in Episode 7 is no problem... we just need a lead-in novel written by Joe Schreiber titled "Green Harvest" in which Wookiee Shamans revive their hero Chewbacca but something goes wrong and as Zombiewookiees make Kashyyyks Shadowlands even more deadly, only the Solos can stop Chewie and turn the Zombiewook back into who he once had been!

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I really really don't think we want to know...

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Perhaps, but these clauses really only require them to do them movies if the producer / director wants to include them. They could potentially not include Chewie or have a different actor in the suit.

The bigger problem is depending on the placement in the timeline, even if some EU novel is written to bring Chewie back from the grave, putting Chewie the sequels could still cause major problems because so many books reference his death and the impact on Han.

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Would it really, do you think? The effect of someone being assumed to be dead is not much off the effect of someone actually being dead IMHO.

7. Foltliss

Foltliss Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure most of the plot of DNT and beyond is pretty dependent on Anakin being dead. And everything post-RotJ is dependent on Vader being dead. The list goes on.

8. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    The question was about resurrecting Chewie in the ST. Lucas killed Vader (and seemingly wouldn't even have him back as an imposter) and also sparked the death of Anakin Solo -- because it would have caused confusion when the PT came out.

9. Foltliss

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't see a difference. Chewie's magical return to life wouldn't cause confusion? Almost all of Han's character development in the EU is a direct result of Chewie's death. Negating that is like giving a recovered drug addict his first deathstick in a decade. For every character you make an argument could be brought back to life, there's an equal and opposite argument explaining why resurrecting a dead character is a bad idea, for continuity, for the uncomprehending, fragile minds of the fans, and mostly for business. If they can overturn any character's death at any time, why does death mean anything?

10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Continuity has no say in the matter. If they want Chewie in Episode 7, Chewie will be in Episode 7.

BTW basing speculation of Peter Mayhew possibly being in Episode 7 on that source is very tenuous. And really does not indicate that he will be any more likely to make an appearance than if we didn't have that information at all.

At this stage, we certainly can't say that:

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Foltliss: Start becoming an avid reader of superhero comics. You'll get used to Heaven's revolving door in no time.

12. Foltliss

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm still going to be cautiously optimistic, and hope they handle it in a way that doesn't negate all of the post-RotJ EU. Unlike many of you, I actually like it. Almost all of it.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Don't get me wrong—I don't have a problem with a good portion of the post-RotJ EU, and I'm hoping that the ST doesn't affect it too adversely. There are some things I don't like, but there are a ton of other things that I do like and I would hate for it to be negated in some fashion. Granted, my concerns deal with relatively minor bits and pieces that have mostly happened "off camera," so to speak, but my concerns are still there and I hope the ST doesn't hurt them.

Brenapp likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As I said before, Chewbacca being alive is very easy to do.

Maybe Chewbacca realized someone was planning to go after the Falcon to get him... someone was very close to them, tracking them ever since they landed on Sernpidal... so Chewbacca stayed behind to not endanger Anakin Solo and the others on the ship... and was immediately picked up by the people who were tracking him, in their ship, taking him off-planet. Likely culprits? We know something was up with the Mayor of Sernpidal. And Chewbacca has probably made many enemies over his long life.

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    As I keep saying (based on what was contained in Vector Prime), we never 'saw' either Chewie's dead body or his actual moment of 'death'....so his status has always been MIA from that point on. Think about all the isolated Japanese holdouts on Pacific Islands after WW2, that hadn't got the word that the war was over, they were technically MIA too, until they emerged years (decades for some) later.

Boba Fett is another one where we didn't 'see' the death or the body - and Lucas had thoughts about showing him escaping for the SE version.

People who are reported dead, but actually aren't, are a plot device staple of fiction; be that in films, books or TV shows. Chewie's return wouldn't cancel Han's character development IMO -- unless Chewie's reappearance so shocked Han that he suffered a heart attack!

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    tbh, cheewie coming back would be the one thing I'd have no problem accepting as far as overwriting canon goes. as mentioned above, there was no body and - as always - darth maul says hello ;)

cheewie alive, written by stover or luceno, as a lead-in novel to EP VII would be quite good, too.

Summer Dreamer and Zorrixor like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed.

It would also provide Han and Leia with a very natural reason for why they are able to finally move on and come to terms with all the pain they've endured in the past few years of stories that will obviously not be referenced in the film.

i.e. "Let's just be happy Chewie's home and stop thinking about what happened to Jacen."

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't Denning say something about the villain of CRUCIBLE being an old enemy of Han's, from his pre-Rebellion days? That would make it an old enemy of Chewie too, I presume. Does anyone else remember this? Hope I'm not misremembering.

19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Just to set this right once again, DR (including Luceno) planned NJO, and while I haven't got the exact quotes at hand and don't know how far I can lean out of the window rhetorically, this plan was to have Anakin as the philosopher hero and Jacen as Luke 2.0 dying. Lucas said Anakin couldn't be the hero. DR switched the characters, making Jacen the hero and Anakin not the hero, which explains quite a few changes in the way they behave. They also decided to keep the death of "not the hero" in although readers would be upset if Anakin died because he was going to be so awesome in the books that were to come out just before his written death. I guess if Jacen had died as Luke 2.0 after being awesome in books just before he died that would have been okay, because nobody liked him years later when he had been the philosopher character who was never meant to die. 8-}

Chewie coming back in the current EU to force everything to fall in line with Ep7 would be so stupid it just might be great again, like the epicness of Maul's resurrection paired with the fact that everyone is actually feeling good about it deep inside. It would, though, invalidate all of the emotional turmoil going on in NJO. But it would be okay, though, because now that we've all read the stories we don't need the emotions anyway, just the data.

Oh, and as for Vader impostors, there's that clone in Galaxy of Fear... [face_worried] But I guess you're referring to Luke not being allowed to put on the Vader mask in Dark Empire (an idea originally coming from Ep6 scripts). And let's not forget that C'Baoth was originally a clone of Obi-Wan until Lucas came around...

20. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    There's a good chance the ST will invalidate all of the NJO/Legacy era, not just Chewie's death.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know how there's a "good" chance of anything given that we're still mostly operating on speculation and rumor.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Good Chance=I like Eu and I'm being a pessimist (or and probably more likely) I Hate the EU and will take pleasure from it's destruction

Julius Vernon and Esg like this.
  23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It wasn't in Vector Prime, but there is a passage in Dark Tide I where Han describes Chewie's death to Elegos A'Kla.

I'm not saying they won't have Chewie appear in Episode VII, because they're going to do what they want to do, but this passage gives me pause in terms of the "Chewie was just MIA" theory.

cthugha likes this.
  24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    All our posts in this forum will have been in vain.

25. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think at this point it's all hope from the haters or fear from those who enjoy the EU. My personal biggest concern (and probably a lot of ours) is that they just completely ignore all of it.

But I personally think there's a "good chance" that much of it is kept intact. I think even having Anakin, Jacen, Jaina, and Ben are "likely."

Esg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.