main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've never heard of this before. Has he said whether he dislikes Luke marrying Mara Jade specifically, or whether he dislikes Luke getting married at all? (Or - knowing Lucas - both at different times?)

Darth Koo likes this.
  3. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    It's usually in reference to this quote:
    "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
    Leyland, Matthew (May 2008). "George Lucas". Total Film.

It always seemed to me that he meant 'Luke doesn't get married because the story doesn't continue', not 'Luke wouldn't get married, ever, if the story did continue'.
    But like all Lucas quotes, it can be interpreted many ways, and is contradicted or supported by various other Lucas quotes.

4. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I've certainly heard that quote before - but always in a context of Lucas saying that the EU wasn't "his" story, not that he had something specifically against Luke marrying Mara Jade.

Darth Koo likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I find it extremely hard to believe that Lucas hates Mara Jade because I find it extremely hard to believe that Lucas knows who Mara Jade was beyond presumably seeing her name when he signed off on TTT back in 1990.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    maybe he read a comic book with her in it

I get the impression that Lucas reads most of the SW comics

supposedly he's a big comic fan in general

JediDingo and Abadacus like this.
  7. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Exactly.

Abadacus likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Anyway I thought we were pro-Lucas now since he was endorsing the EU with the Solo children and all that, apparently in lieu of the ST.

9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't really care what Lucas thinks of Mara Jade per se, honestly. I'm mostly curious about his opinion on Luke marrying in general.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Some key giveaways are both Lucas and Green corpsing, and Green offering to have the man burned to death.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    corpsing?

there's also two jump cuts early on, Green is already laughing as soon as Lucas starts his freak out and then he's not after the first jump cut

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also the fact that Lucas is the least irritable man alive.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And you know, the cameraman. I somehow suspect George Lucas knows a thing or two about cameras.

JediDingo likes this.
  14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    To be fair - I stoIe it from someone eIse on the 7SA board because it made me - and stiII does - Iaugh pretty hard, and yes, it is very tongue in cheek...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The clue is that the office has automatic wooden doors you open with a button. That's true villain lair outfitting.

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait, you mean not everyone has those?

17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Ship bridges have started to look like Star Trek, so I guess doors that go "woosh" can't be far behind, but they haven't installed mine yet.

[​IMG]

Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, by extrapolation, since there will definitely be Episodes VII-IX, and because there is a story for them, we can deduce that everything he said should be interpreted as the reverse of what is truth, meaning Vader comes back to life, the Emperor gets cloned, and Luke gets married. Original Sequel Trilogy plotline confirmed people :p

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder which EU story has Vader come back to life btw. I want to read it.

Vthuil likes this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I had always assumed that was him (mis)remembering the supposed original DE pitch with the fake Vader.

darklordoftech and Abadacus like this.
  21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Robot Chicken people mention it while introducing this deleted scene, but don't really offer a reason:

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...my life is now impoverished due to that sketch never being done.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm starting a new rumor that Lucas mandated that Mara Jade be killed just like he mandated Anakin Solo's death!

WMIRTUTSF, DurararaFTW and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Be sure to include 2006/07 as the timeframe in which he definitely started writing the ST treatment.

Good theory for a fake one btw, it would explain the long list of possible sacrificial lambs and the last-minute switching to one that doesn't make any sense.

25. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Oh **** THERE WAS GOING TO BE A MARA JADE STAR WARS ROBOT CHICKEN SKETHC!!!?!?!?!?!

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.