main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You wouldn't have gotten in to the cinema without a pre booking methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Then you thinks wrong because I didn't

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, I did just look, and see my local cinema still has tons of seats for later this evening.. mmmh...

Not sure if I feel in the mood for tonight though, as I gotta be in work early tomorrow morning, but at least I know it won't be hard to get a ticket whichever night I choose.

fett 4 likes this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Go and enjoy yourself and have a good time. All I will say though is don't watch A New Hope before you do. Seriously just don't, you'll enjoy it more if you don't.

Starkeiller likes this.
  5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I just got back from seeing it! I have one question
    was that coruscant that got destroyed?

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Darth Gladius

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it:D.....but I don't think so, it was probably just another metropolis planet. Give the canon time to catch up and I'm sure it'll be given a name :)

Chunkydumb and Darth Gladius like this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I saw it on the 15th on a preview night, and it was released here on the 16th. I was happy that I got to see it more than once because the first time my main reactions were

So they removed the whole EU so that they could do a total rehash of it, with Caedus/Kylo being the prime example. The first time I saw it I couldn't really concentrate on Kylo as a character, I was only waiting for him to accuse his cape of treason or something. And then his real name is Ben. So Han and Leia got a Ben and her last name isn't revealed but basically Jai...oh I mean Rey is a super pilot with an extreme sense for mechanics and the Force. If she isn't a Skywalker then that would be the biggest plot twist since I am your father.

Oh and from now on I'm going to call Poe -Poe "Antilles" Dameron, because he is basically Wedge as he is in the X-wing series, it made me hope that even if Aaron can't write them, they should make a new X-wing series about his adventures prior to TFA.

8. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [face_mischief] o_O [face_mischief]

Jacen vs Ben thread when? [face_party]

9. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    So, pretty much everything that I expected. That bad, and more.
    Magic 'chosen one' force powers out of nowhere, one-dimensional 'dark elf' villain, spoof-level superweapon, vague and contradictory worldbuilding with other writers left to clean up after. The JJ Special.
    To top it all off, they rehashed my least favorite EU character (JINO), as an even less-sympathetic tantrum-throwing Vader wannabe, but made him ****ing Ben. No.
    I just feel bad for the many people who's talent and dedication to their work is evident. Such a waste to have LFL make an Abrams film.

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't want to sound like a basher, so I want to add that I still liked the film, it made me laugh and cry at times, so even if it's not in my top 3 Star Wars films, I think it's not in the bottom either. I think it took me the first viewing to adjust mentally to a Star Wars where many of the stories I love are simply legends. I haven't read any of the new canon books, I've started on Aftermath, so maybe if I had been more up to date on those stories I would have been more prepared for the film from an EU perspective. The second time I saw it I started to get interested in finding out what had happened up to this, so there is definitely a lot of things that can be written around the films in the future.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    So now that the film is out, can someone summarize how much of the rumors were accurate?

12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I think it's Hosnian Prime, a NR Core World. Just created for that purpose. Btw, haven't seen the film yet, so I'm just going on spoilers/rumors from tertiary sources.

Darth Gladius likes this.
  13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Not the floating hand, sadly

JackG and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I've no idea what that's supposed to mean, but the first thing that popped on my mind when I read that was the hand thing from Adams Family

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, that's the thing. People who have gone into it expecting to enjoy it...generally have. People who go in expecting it to be bad or at best average are the ones coming back with negative reports. I am beyond hyped and I'm seeing it in 3 hours so I'll let you all know how I feel after that (or when the boards are back up, whatever), but I expect to love it. Are there similarities with what I've heard to ANH, the PT, and even LOTF? Sure. But what I've heard also indicates a fun, exciting story that's much more well done than *shudder* JINO.

16. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

One of the oldest rumours said that the first shot of the movie was Luke's hand from ESB floating in space still holding his lightsaber, it's not.

spicer likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Look on the bright side. It was 1,000,000% better than any of the last 15 years of EU. And the whole
    Ben thing means there's no Ben Skywalker, no Jacen Solo... it's glorious!

I loved the film. It did what Abrams said he set out to do. If you're expecting a film for you, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting A New New Hope for a new generation, you'll be aligned with the filmmaker's vision and enjoy the hell out of it.

It's not unlike the notes Rebels hits. It's doing something the EU never dared to do - which, when you hire hack writers, is hardly surprising - which is to invent new characters and give them familiar anchors but new personalities. Rey is amazing. She might be my favourite if not for BB8.

The Force Awakens was marvellous, for both what it was and how it destroyed the EU.

JoeBiWanKenobi likes this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You're a fixed point in a changing age, Ender Sai. [face_laugh]

Me? I expect to to enjoy/not enjoy the film based upon whether or not I enjoy/don't enjoy the film, and not worry about self-psychoanalysis to see if my reasons are 'valid'. If I'm paying money to be entertained, I want to be entertained. Because ultimately, that's the only thing that matters.

Abadacus and Ender Sai like this.
  19. Good_News_Nobody

Good_News_Nobody Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll see it in 13 and a half hours. I have to drive to a nearby city to watch it.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Having been burned by the shift to the prequels - those most terrible, terrible of films - in all things Star Wars I was out. I mean, the novels were just utterly awful. The only new TV show was Clone Wars. It was like George wanted what he wanted and uncritical drones lapped it up, others just disengaged.

When I heard about this, I wanted to understand what JJ was driving at. So I read interviews where he articulated his purpose and vision. When I got what he was aiming for, I went in expecting that - a new trilogy, that is standalone as well as connected. But not a continuation of my original trilogy.

Expecting that, it worked so well. If you expect a film that's made for you, the extant fan... eh, not so much. If you want to see them do ANH for a new generation, then my god... it will soar.

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know the EU had its problems, but I think it's unfair to label writers like Zahn, Stackpole, Luceno and more hacks. They made determined efforts to continue Star Wars during the periods without films, and many are gracious to the fans.

Also, where did this idea the EU didn't invent new characters come from? Mara Jade, Thrawn, Kyle Katarn, Revan are all strong, new characters that came from the EU.

Ironically, (spoiler for TFA villain)
    If anyone can be called a non-new character, it's TFA's Kylo Ren who's basically EU Jacen Solo. And that's fine, Disney is within legal rights to borrow from their own property. But don't accuse the EU of being hacks or non-original and let Kylo Ren slide. Hopefully future material can differentiate Jacen and Kylo.

I do feel sorry for the authors who contributed to Legacy of the Force and Darth Caedus, who will see the film and see its makers get millions and the credit using a character they did first. But they knew going in that their Star Wars work is work-for-hire and ultimately is owned by Lucasfilm. It's no different from the many comic book movies made now using characters and plots where the writers and artists don't get much from the film (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby estate, Chris Claremont on X-Men, etc)

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    double post by bad phone connection :(

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    triple post by bad phone connection :(

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Zahn wasn't, but he came first. But Luceno? Stellar career outside of Star Wars. Definitely. Yeah. Top shelf author.

Saying Kylo is Caedus is lol. It's EU fans grasping at straws. There's no comparison, and I like to think Larry Kasdan doesn't read awful, terrible fiction in the same way he doesn't torture puppies for fun. I would respect him less as a human being and writer if he'd read even the first Legacy of the Farce novel.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I expect to be moderately entertained. But another ANH? I think you're grasping at straws, there.

Darthmaul208 and Gharlane like this.
  26. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, it's ANH for a new generation. Or if you like, a monomyth/Hidden Fortress for the 21st century audience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.