main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    It's not a case of "bigger is automatically better". It's a case of me wanting stories that feel dramatically and thematically conclusive to the entire Star Wars saga, and not just "hey, here's some generic Star Wars with nothing at stake".

I'm aiming for a story that actually means something. You know, where all the previous films lead up to it, and where I believe it's of importance.

I'm aiming as high as it's possible to go. I'm aiming for something profoundly greater than the "oh yeah, here's some more adventures" nature of the EU. I'm aiming for a 9-part epic where every step along the way leads to the climax of Episode IX. Where everything matters, and creates an interwoven narrative of the greatest conflict ever to engulf the GFFA. I want a fantastic mythology, like the one that drew me in in the first place, not just some new films with the Star Wars brand slapped on. I want a villain who logically builds on the legacy of Palpatine and challenges our heroes in a way we've never seen before, not just "a credible threat".

I mean, imagine that. "Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back. Now, Return of the Jedi brings you an 'entertaining' epilogue, as he faces... 'a credible threat'!"

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Though Lucas is not at the helm, I do believe they're going to be deferring to him in many ways, so I agree that this new trilogy needs to feel connected and conclusive to the previous trilogies. Lucas' plans for Star Wars seem to chance daily, but I seem to remember that his original ambition was to make a "trilogy of trilogies": three trilogies that tell a complete story. If done well, I'm hoping that the new trilogy will conclude the Skywalker stories once and for all, and simultaneous set up a new status quo to tell new stories that aren't necessarily connected to the main, nine part saga.

This last trilogy only needs to be big in the same way that, say, Return of the King was big. Doesn't mean I want any of them to be Big Dumb Action Movies, though. Personally, I couldn't care less about how many space battles it has, or whether there is even a war at all (though there will undoubtedly be some kind of armed conflict). It just needs to feel like the culmination of six previous movies. After that, I'd love to see Star Wars movies that are willing to experiment a bit. Movies without Jedi or lightsabers are obvious, as are movies focusing on the criminal element of the GFFA.

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Yes!! Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I suppose we'll simply never agree on what form the Sequel Trilogy should take, then.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Personaly, I don't care if its Skywalker and son fighting off an army of pirate gungans lead by Jango Fetts disembodied brain in a jar , as long as its well written and entertaining.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just can't see the Empire not being part of the Sequel Trilogy, at least in the first episode. The look of the Empire is too iconic for them to ignore. On the flip side, if the do use the Big Three, it would be strange to learn that it took 30-40 years to defeat the Empire. In reality, I can't not see the new powers at be using some sort of Imperial Remnant.

Well, time will tell. We have had Sith, Separatists, and an Empire as the movies antagonist. What is next is anyone's guess.

--Adm. Nick

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We also had a Hutt as third villain of the OT. ;)

CeiranHarmony and Ulicus like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I would love it if the Hutts were the major antagonist in the Sequel Trilogy. Especially if they allude to the EU concept of the Hutts controlling a large region of space.

--Adm. Nick

my kind of scum and Ulicus like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    :eek:

[face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Which interestingly the PT also hints at.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought about Hutts and/or Mandalorians... but they wouldn't be able to provide the lightsaber duels, contests of Force power, or epic war that's required. Not as the main villains, anyways.

In my idea of the ST, I think the Empire will still be a remnant, staying neutral in the new war in episodes 7-8 with just a few references. Maybe a failed mission from the Jedi trying to get them to help. Then, when it seems like the Empire is about to join the Sith when the Sith are near victory, the Empire surprisingly allies with the Jedi & NR/GA in Episode 9 to turn the tide and save the heroes.

And as much as I hope Plagueis is the main villain, I hope even more that Jaina is the main hero. Ben can be another hero, but not the main one, and could even die. And someone unrelated to complete the new trio, maybe an honorable Mandalorian to be Ben's friend.

The only thing I can see making Jaina NOT the main hero is... she's married, and they might want to have a love story for the main hero. Although, Luke didn't have a love interest in the OT, so maybe Jaina can be the main hero and her marriage to Jag will still exist. Just give Ben the love triangle.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    How could that not be?

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Has the answer you seek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Truckers

[​IMG]

And if a few Merchants call pull a Droid army from thin air to fight the Republic, the Hutts most certainly can get any army together. ;)

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    And a Gungan

15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Dang it! Is it really possible that I was ripping off of somthing I have never even seen? I guess there really are no new ideas.

Just when I was about to phone Lucas Arts and pitch my idea to them too.........................

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It’s of course not exact but very very close, though if I dig a little I am sure I can find some strange Italian Sci-Fi movie with Jamaican pirates and a brain in a jar, as there is a strange Italian movie for just about anything.

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just don't think there should be Sith after RotJ, that's one thing the EU really messed up, imo.

18. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    But then the prophecy of the Force would be unbalanced again, this time in favor of the light.

Unless you don't want the Sith per se but a different character or group of the Dark side.

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Imagine Grand Admiral Ackbar at the helm of a Superstardestroyer Lusankya (or similiar ship with debatable length :p) heavyheartedly issuing a base delta zero as his fleet of Stardestroyers and Mon Cal Cruisers slags through a gigantic Hutt War Armada while Rogue Squadron rushes by the bridge windows with General Antilles arriving with a second fleet behind the Hutts to trap them while a desperate Rotta the Hutt on his Hutt bridge calls "It's a trap!" and Ackbar smiles satisfied ;)

just imagine it...

cthugha likes this.
  20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

read the The Force Unleshed Art/Making of book... there are Sequel ideas in there coming straight from Lucas ;)

one was about light and dark side joining and working together in a mixed council of dark and lightsiders... I'd love that in the light of Mortis philosophy for the Sequels as a peaceful end.. without killing each other.

anticlimatic sure but this is the end..not Star by Star after all so...

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    we always could have cute Ewok Darksiders using magic as the little cannibal hordes expand into the galaxy to eat all in their way if fed after midnight... meanwhile in the background Mount Sorrow dates Mount Yoda as S.P.I.N. saves the day lead by Surpreme Chancellor Jaxxon...

22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    You're on fire tonight, CeiranHarmony. I'm not unconvinced you're Dave Filoni.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well another board thought I was Allston in disguise... who will I be next? ;)

24. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Please don't be Troy Denning.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    SBS Denning who knows how to do epic or the Denning who can do Han and Leia + humor so well or the Denning who loves YJK and Hapans and remembered Zekk? he is a great author and I like him. sure he has his flaws like everybody else got some.. still he does great work. some series failed fans due to overall series concept fail, others due to single issues. but I doubt we should attribute that to one author. (and I know I blamed him too in the past.. my bad!). he is a terrific author and should keep improving himself and giving us his best. He got Jacen and Tenel Ka together finally. so he has a special place for me!

that said...

Squibs definitely were too much for my taste.. I still loath Saba.. and Leia needing retraining..

Jedi_Glover and Gorefiend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.