main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    How is a cutoff point a worse solution than jettisoning the entire EU?

One preserves 99% of the material out there, except LOTF/FOTJ (and maybe Legacy- but even that could be far enough removed as to survive a cutoff point) and decades of storytelling and audience familiarity with it's elements (which is higher than you would expect, even if they're not intimate with the details).

The other invalidates all that content and eliminates the validity of the EU concept in general. As was mentioned in a post above- people are more savvy about spin off material quality now. Content that is officially recognized and consistent with it's primary medium will always sell better and provide recurring revenue through future print runs.

There's a massive difference between "We have to ignore 9-12 novels out of necessity" and "We have to ignore 150+ novels and untold numbers of young adult, comic, video game and short prose content". The former is no different than saying "Oh, this is Infinities or S-canon now, carry on with business as usual", the later is "We're lazy and want to reduce profits for some moronic reason".

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I wonder if after Crucible and Sword of the Jedi, they'll put a hold on on post-FOTJ novel material until we have a better idea of what the ST will be bringing. Hopefully, there will be some collaborative plan once the script gets written.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think if the story kicks off and Luke is in his late 60s and he rubs his hands together and says "Well! Time to start rebuilding the Jedi order!" he would come across as a complete lazy layabout who did nothing for 30 years. On the flipside, if the story kicks off and Luke rubs his hand together and says "Well! Time to meet the new dozen younglings for their first day! and then organize the cafeteria rations for the 1000 Jedi we have living here in the fully refurbished Jedi temple!" would take away the point of seeing Luke rebuild the Jedi order. A happy medium should be found but how much of seeing him basically rebuild the Jedi order has been covered in the EU already? Pretty much all of it.

Valin__Kenobi and Zorrixor like this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, a new "continuity" would likely be the non-continuity that virtually every other sci-fi franchise has for their secondary material.

Jeff, you know I've been espousing the latter since the Disney buyout was announced right? (Although which continuity is being "jettisoned" is really a matter of perspective)

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's pretty much my take on it, too, as they're jinxed either way, as even though a future spin-off could go back and cover the earlier rebuilding, that's still years away.

I suppose it's possible Episode VII could do what TPM did and be set sometime before the following two films to provide set-up, but... that didn't exactly attract much support when Lucas did it for the PT, and if Ford etc have been approached, they aren't going to be doing stuff straight out of ROTJ...

So it's a toughie...

Even if they come out saying the Galactic Civil War has been raging for forty years and Luke's just not got around to it, that... dunno. Maybe. Could work, I suppose, if they just want a handful of personally-trained knights a la Kyle Katarn, who Luke has just had the good fortune to encounter over the years, without actively searching for recruits. But... dunno. While I personally feel "less is more" when it comes to space wizards, I must admit I strongly suspect Disney will just be thinking that huge lightsaber wars is what appeals to the lowest common denominator, as it's certainly what Star Wars has pretty much consistently been doing for the past six years in the EU, and while we are bored of it, the larger film audience hasn't experienced it yet to become bored, so tons of Jedi fighting tons of Sith would still be a novelty to them.

I mean, look no further than the original TOR trailer, which had game audiences utterly mesmerised, wetting themselves and oo'ing and aah'ing in giddy adulation.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    i don't think anyone suggested that would happen lol

You are worrying about nothing

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd argue that thinking about what they're likely to do is, at this point, just as fruitless as thinking of what they can do. All that's important is what they will do, something at this point we don't know. I certainly doubt that they'll keep the EU intact, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they lifted some characters and elements from it.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's a fallacy to reduce ignoring the EU to "reducing profits for some moronic reason." Do you really think that there's no other reason for them to ignore the EU? In terms of storytelling freedom, in terms of plot and expositional baggage, in terms of the 100% likelihood of George Lucas telling them that it's a separate universe that they should ignore? If all you can equate ignoring the EU with is being lazy and moronic for no apparent reason, then you're overinflating its importance and letting your appreciation of it cloud your judgment.

The reason I don't like the cutoff point idea is because I don't think it would be post-NJO like everyone is assuming. Post-NJO forces the writers of Episode VII to include Jacen, Jaina, and Ben, and at the appropriate ages, too. It forces them to include a Galactic Alliance and an Imperial Remnant at peace. It forces Chewbacca to be dead. It forces a whole crapload of things upon them that they probably don't want. I'm assuming that they'll want to create unique SkySolo children, keep Chewbacca alive, and probably do something different with the remnants of the Imperial fleet. That would push the cutoff point back to pre-Heir, and that's why I think it would be little different from jettisoning the entire EU anyway.

As for the idea of a new EU: I get what Zorrixor is saying, but I do think that new SW books will sell, period, and will have better longevity than you think. If the new animated series is post-ROTJ, too, it will make a huge difference. I don't see this situation as akin to the original post-ROTJ EU, but rather to the prequel-era EU. From 1999 - 2005, a huge number of tie-in books and comics were published that still sell today. Why would this situation be any different?

9. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    very true

Ignoring the EU as people are fearing is not going to cost them any money.

They will make new tie-ins, in new timeline, and sales will probably sky rocket as a result of the films.

kubricklynch and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Sometimes I feel as though we're the Whos down in Whoville shouting "We are here!" to the great Powers that Be.

But alas, Disney doesn't have an elephant to hear our woes. Except that drunk schmuck Dumbo. He doesn't count.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Whatever they do, Chewie SHOULD be alive in the ST.

kubricklynch likes this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Jeebus. It really is all about the toys man.

I don't know why anyone is screaming about the films > EU. Seems to me it's all a vehicle for selling toys. Does that make me a pessimist?

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    And his ears are so big. What a waste.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The EU allows more toy opportunities ;)

TheRedBlade and krtmd like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If an NJO or post-NJo cutout would be compatible with the story they want to tell with the ST, then, yes, not doing a cutoff to preserve the prior material would be moronic and lazy because it would be completely arbitrary. "Oh, we could do this and not affect our plans or other people's enjoyment, but I'm just not feeling it. Might as well just ignore the whole shebang since ignoring the EU as a whole would require an equal amount of effort, if not more, than a cutoff...".

I think you're making a lot of assumptions (and, again, this goes back to the whole "we don't know know anything yet" point I've been making).

Going by Lucas's past "happily ever after" approach to ROTJ's ending, he probably doesn't even feel there should be any Imperials left. Which would mean the Imperial Remnant would be the equivalent of the Corporate Sector: a notable region of the galaxy that the films aren't going to bring up.

As for the Alliance? There's going to be either an Alliance or a Republic in this trilogy. Maybe the filmmakers will just use the EU name for convenience (ala Coruscant), maybe they won't (in which case we just need a retcon as to why the GA went back to the Republic name [and, given the problems the GA has had, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch now, would it?]). Besides, if the cutoff is pre-NJO, then the NR never changed names to the GA anyways, so that's a non-issue.

As for the SkySolos, our new heroes will be around 20-30-ish, going by past films. The EU character ages will fall in that range (or are close enough to tweak a retcon). If the character archetype is the same ("Jedi daughter of Han and Leia", "Jedi son of Luke", etc) and it just comes down to a character name, there's likely not going to be a problem there (again, Coruscant, Quinlan Vos, Ventress, etc).

And I already spoke about Chewbacca earlier- given Lucas's approval of the decision to kill off Chewie, among other factors, there's no certainty he's going to contradict his decision or that the filmmakers will think better of including Chewbacca if his absence serves the story better or if his inclusion was inconsequential to begin with.

And if they absolutely want a Wookiee (and especially if his actions have no real enhancement by being Chewbacca himself), I'm sure LFL would absolutely love being able to sell new "Larookah" wookiee action figures and merchandise in additional to PT/TCW/OT Chewbacca toys.

They will sell, but they will sell less because there will be no reason to keep in them in print. Non-canon spin-off material has a short shelf life. What you're describing is a situation like Star Trek (the non-JJ related stuff, at least) where the book comes out, gets its first printing or so, then is impossible to get after a couple years.

If fewer people have reason to buy something in the first place, and have no incentive to look back for older catalog titles due to a lack of relevance to current material being published/produced, then they don't get additional printings- they're the quick cash ins and thats it (minus maybe the occasional title that gets some particular notice).

All of that guarantees significantly lower sales with absolute certainty. If there's not an EU connected to current titles and films, you're not selling another copy of the Thrawn trilogy or 19 NJO books or something people would otherwise rather forget like The Crystal Star. And those who already own those have less incentive to read the newest titles that have no connection to the world of the content they already own.

It still comes down to the EU not being a ball and chain around the filmmakers ankles or something they'll look upon with disgust that they'll want to cast away with gleeful abandon. It's just another point of reference for professional storytellers.

Outside of the most extreme of examples, it's silly to say that somehow the people behind the new films are literally incapable of doing what almost every other filmmaker and author do (to one degree or another) on a regular basis for every one of their projects.

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The think about that is, Bungie did even originally intend to ever make a game about Reach, they actually contemplated making their own Halo 4 before they decided to make Halo: Reach. Bungie let Eric Nylund write FoR when they didn't plan on telling the story of Reach themselves, and as I understand it, its not as if the game and the novel so drastically different that they can't be reconciled, unlike TCW completely rewriting how the Clone Wars happened. I haven't even read the Halo novels, but I definitely want to, though I am rather worried about the latest novels, especially considering what I have heard about the Kilo-Five Trilogy by Karen Traviss (that what she started doing after she left Star Wars).

To me, Halo 4 feels like the perfect sequel to Halo 3.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is habitual with you, isn't it? :p

TheRedBlade, JackG, krtmd and 2 others like this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't say that, I have and have read the short story anthology Halo: Evolutions and fully intend to buy the first six novels, its just I kind of don't have a job yet, so I really shouldn't even have bought the books did buy last year. I read the Bantam novels, NJO, and several other Del Rey novels through the library years ago for a reason. I am also on the last leg of finishing my Bachelor's of Science in Computer Information Systems, so my plate is a little full at the moment, I haven't even finished my rereading of I, Jedi that I started at least a month ago.

20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    "If an NJO or post-NJo cutout would be compatible with the story" is a very, very big if. More on this below.

All of those examples are based on big ifs. If Episode VII happens to have a Jaina character (or Solo twins) around the right age, if it has a Skywalker son around the right age, if the character archetype is the same... I've already provided a counterargument to your Chewie argument that you haven't addressed --- Lucas gave the EU permission to kill Chewbacca with the understanding that the EU was a separate universe from his own. Chewie's death in the EU is going to be a nonissue to the writers of Episode VII, and I can guarantee that Lucas's story treatment and the subsequent screenplays and scripts aren't going to exclude him because he died in Vector Prime. Lucas's approval of the decision to kill off Chewbacca isn't a relevant point.

You're misinterpreting me --- if they make a new EU, I'm saying that it will be the new, canon EU. The old stuff will be deemed non-canon (or an alternate timeline). The new stuff will be the canon spin-off material and will be kept in print.

What's absolutely essential to remember is that the script of Episode VII won't be written with the EU in mind. Do you really think that the finished product will be EU-compatible? As I mentioned above, your reasoning is based on a huge number of fanboy-hopeful ifs. You're not thinking critically here. You're letting your love of the EU colour your judgment on this one. Try to look at it from their perspective instead of the perspective of a longtime EU fan. So far, I don't believe you've done that.

Keeping in mind that the script won't be written with the EU in mind --- there are infinitely more ways that it won't be compatible with the EU than there are that it will. There are a great number of things that will need to line up in order for the EU to be compatible (not perfectly, but they'll still need to line up), and any one of an infinite number of deviations from that line-up will ruin it. Assuming that none of those deviations will happen, and that the script will line up in the appropriate ways without major contradictions... that's the silliest assumption of all.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You don't KNOW that.

It's that kind of attitude that frustrates me.

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If he really didn't care, though, why didn't he let them kill Luke like they originally wanted, or let Anakin be the hero?

23. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    That... is something that's been on my mind for a while now. You could say 'welp gotta sell those novels and we can't get rid of the 'big three' or 'it's george being silly about the whole anakin thing' but...

In retrospect, I think the EU's days have been sorta numbered since George specifically said 'WELL GUYS NO LUKE KILLING. KTHXBYE.' back in the late 90's. Because if he really didn't care about the story beyond ROTJ, he would just have approved it. I don't care how much lip service he gave about the whole 'NO STORY BEYOND ROTJ.' He's always had a story. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about this in a Episode 7 thread ATM. What it came down to was his willingness to stop bullcrapping the rest of the world and get down to having it made.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    He didn't let Anakin be the hero so that fans wouldn't get confused about the two Anakins undergoing hero arcs at the same time. As for not killing Luke --- who knows? He sees the EU as someone else's story, but in 1999 he probably didn't think Episode VII would ever happen. He would understandably want Luke to survive in what looked like it would be the final word on post-ROTJ story.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I take it nobody else here has ridden the Dumbo ride at Disneyland with their friends and yelled out "Red [Number] standing, by!" and other such things to reenact the Trench run sequence, have they?

Yeah so let's not ever talk about that, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.