main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Um......the mythological/religious theme throughout the series was present in the early seasons, even in miniseries. If you actually payed attention to what was going on in the early seasons, you would have been able to tell that the supernatural was going to play an important role later in the series.....since it already had in the earlier seasons of the show.

But we are getting off topic on this star wars forum, if you want to talk to me about this, just PM me :)

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Difference was that in early seasons neither the religious nor the secular side was proven "right", just like in real life. When they put resurrections and angels into the series they all but shat on this.

Over and out.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I have trouble with the notion that people will just inherently get burned out on Star Wars if there's one movie a year. If volume of material were a problem in and of itself no TV series would make it past a few seasons. A single season of Breaking Bad, or Family Guy for that matter, has a running time longer than all six SW films put together, and a successful series can sustain that pace for as much as a decade without substantially losing its audience. I think what we're really worried about is whether the franchise can maintain a sufficient level of quality across an indefinite stretch of yearly films. It's completely fair to doubt that, but it's absolutely not a given--it boils down to two things: how much potential a given franchise has on its own, and what kind of talent it's being given to. Marvel is doing more than one movie per year, really, and they're pulling it off because the material, even the stuff that maybe doesn't have quite so much potential baked in *coughthorcough*, is still able to attract top-shelf talent. Spider-Man even weathered an almost-immediate reboot because the character was so compelling, and good people (whatever you may have thought of ASM as a finished product) still wanted to take a crack at it. And that's a scenario where you have to literally reboot the narrative and tell the same story over again.

Star Wars, by contrast, has nigh-unlimited potential. If Robert Rodriguez's Boba Fett trilogy loses steam toward the end, follow it up with Baz Luhrmann's Legacy, or Spielberg's Knights of the Old Republic, or Del Toro's Dawn of the Jedi, or Cuarón's Interlude at Darkknell, or Raimi's Rogue Squadron. I think people--fans, anyway--only get sick of something if they no longer expect any of it to be any good. Disney just needs to play its cards right.

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nope. That would be George Lazenby. Or Barry Nelson.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm waiting for Martin Scorsese's GoDV, personally. Only he can manage the requisite gravitas and dramatic portent.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Jool would be FABULOUS

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

There was a boy
    A very strange, enchanted boy
    They say he wandered very far
    Very far, over land and sea

[​IMG]

Is it so much to ask for to see a Neil Blomkamp directed Star Wars movie?

RC-1991, CooperTFN and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I was thinking more from a production standpoint. Weekly high concept shows like those could put out several hours of content in a month with less money. A filmmaker could probably make a high quality Star Wars with all the effects fixings in six months no problem if all the sets and equipment are in place.

I see no reason from a logistics standpoint why we need to wait half a decade between hour and a half long movies.

I'd say the exact same thing about Batman, and I sure as hell don't want to sit through another four year rumor mill-hype buildup-marketing explosion cycle just to watch a two hour movie.

Hey, maybe Hollywood studios will be smart and realize that people will go out to see a Star Wars movie without them having to waste millions in marketing campaigns.

Oh lol.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm in the cautiously optimistic category. I was stoked and relieved to have J.J. Abrams as the director. Mostly because of the fact that I was never into Star Trek, and I loved the first one of his. Of course the rest of his track record speaks for itself as well. I honestly would prefer he make it in that sort of tone instead of what we got with the prequels. Even though I honestly can dig them, it's strange because I have a feeling that those prequels seem more Disney under Lucas then hopefully 7 will with J.J. directing under Disney. If that makes sense haha But I'm mostly cautious that it even with all the money and the best set-up possible, it could still not live up to expectations. But I for one am very surprised to be happy about the way things are going so far with this under Disney, the same cant be said about a bunch of other choices they have already made.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Cautiously optimistic because I liked Alias.

Pessimistic because I'd rather have a root canal, a mammogram and a colonoscopy at the same time than watch Lost.

Never saw the Abrams Star Trek film.

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003

I agree completely with this, but what happened to the clone wars was that GL chose a hippy dippy style of animation that didn't jive with many. In fact, the animation didn't really start to look good until well into the second season and beyond. Thats when the clone wars started to look good. Their stories didn't also start to take off in terms of content until the second half of season three. The rest, was okay at best, but off at most. To the point that I thought that Ben 10 had better stories than the clone wars. I know some of you will say, but Gilory did a great job and the numbers showed that the show was better at the begining. Not to me it wasn't, and neither to many of you.

The clone wars with the return of darth maul helped the TPM 3-D mov ie make the 106 million worldwide. Yeah it was not a heck of a lot but what do you expect from a movie that made $924 million worldwide based on heavy anticipation, won no awards, was critizced by everyone including many staunch star wars fans, and then came crashing down. You guys must have forgotten, but the matrix movie made only 450 million in that year which was half of what TPM made, won several academy awards and was called and prasied by some a way better movie than star wars. Remember that anyone?! No, you wouldn't because of selective memory all in the service of saying and protecting star wars as the all mighty franchise. The measley 3-D re-release helped it get over the billion dollar marker, making it the first star wars movie to ever do that.

But really, with all the money it made the movie really tanked and with it helped devalueize the franchise. TPM 3-D made more than I and many others expected. Titanic 3-D made over $325 million worldwide brining it over the 2 billion mark. The second movie ever to do so unadjusted and the second of Cameron movies to do the feat. That movie was very good and still had ssome punch, not so with TPM. That movie, I want to forget it ever exited.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ooh, also this.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Rescue Heroes has better stories than TCW did.

vong333 likes this.
  15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    loved lost. at least the first 4 seasons

16. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That sounds great actually. However I believe my concern as a pessimist is that, with quantity, quality will dilute eventually. Taking for example the Harry Potter series, where it seemed that they realized creative input and changing personnel often was not very necessary and for me at least, the last four movies were OK but churned out just because. They're rather unremarkable IMHO.

So we might see Abrams' Episode VII, then Joe Johnston's Boba Fett, then Joseph Kosinski's Episode VIII, then Bret Ratner's Legacy, then Bret Ratner's KOTOR, then Len Wiseman's Episode IX, then Bret Ratner's Rogue Squadron, then Dave Filoni's "Tano".

I hope not, though, but that's the main reason more movies are not-so-good news to me.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My intense dislike for Lost is the main factor in my nervousness about Abrams as director of the sequels.

I don't want a two-hour long version of the Dagobah cave scene, and that's the best case scenario. Worst? Two hours of Mortis.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    DONT. EVEN. JOKE. [face_sick][face_sick][face_sick]

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am far more worried about LFL and Del Rey's continued involvement in the universe than I am about Disney and Abrams. LA had that coming for a long time now, though I don't like Disney's justification for the cancellation of the current projects, and I make not like, or at least not have much interest in Abrams' other works, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until more details are revealed. LFL was behind TCW, which ruined the Clone Wars and called into question whether Star Wars is still one story, and I also don't like how Del Rey handled the post-NJO, I am sorry but I had completely different expectations from the post-NJO.

vong333 and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If we get two hours of Mortis I'll take back every criticism I've ever made of Abrams. Heck, to see Neeson and August reprising their roles on the big screen again I'd even preorder the Star Trek trilogy box set as thanks whenever it's released.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  21. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    SECONDED!

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Episode 7: Mortis. Luke, Han and Leia, in the Millennium Falcon, come across this strange monolith, which they enter, spend two hours walking about inside, then leave, finding the galaxy a very different place when they return. Roll credits.

What new galaxy do the Big Three now find themselves in? To be continued in Episode 8: A New Universe.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If we get two hours of Mortis, I'll pull a Disney boycott of the likes that will put to shame the Southern Baptist Convention's late 90s Disney boycott.

...OK, realistically, probably not. But I will certainly pull a boycott of that particular film, a boycott more solid than the one I pulled on ROTS. I intentionally didn't see that one in the theater until it came to the $1.50 theater, and I only own a copy because it was part of the Blu-Ray box set.

As far as Abrams, I will sell my Alias DVDs for as much as I can get for them in the hope of recouping some of the money I spent, and I will never watch anything with his name in front of it again.

Mortis is the absolute worst thing that happened in TCW, and that's saying something.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, Lucasfilm has had a stranglehold on Star Wars for TOO LONG!!

o_O

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mortis? Mortis?!?

BEDLAM SPIRITS PEOPLE. CLASSIC. ALAN. MOORE.

[​IMG]

I mean srsly, who can resist lines like, "My anti-concepts were sublime in their nothingness" or "A shape! I've thrown a shape! I've invented form! I've invented mass! Oh, cleverest Tilotny!"???

AND DID I SAY ALAN MOORE? ALAN. MOORE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.