main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    darklordoftech -- you will stop "mini-modding" your fellow posters.

This is the thread in which the Literature community can discuss Episode VII and the sequel trilogy.

Dante1120 and CooperTFN like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Republic was launched a good 6 months before TPM as the first 6-part arc was a prequel to it.

EDIT: But as to good tie-in material, those invariably tend to be post-movie see Cloak of Deception (2001) or the Classic Star Wars (1982-1984) run by Goodwin-Williamson, both post-movies.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    My bad guys

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But Disney...

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

You didn't do anything wrong.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But what?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney might not want to wait so long after the movie's release.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Then all that requires is smart scheduling and really tight operational security - you have a strong tie-in book to go within a month of the movie's release, which will have had the prep time of probably minimum of 18 months, having been written with knowledge of the ep7 script and the NDA to end all NDAs in place!

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Paycheques tend to ease the pain.

my kind of scum and Ulicus like this.
  10. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    They'll probably take it the same way that the New Jedi Order writers took it when their work was demoted to infinities by the revisionist history of subsequent stories. Then again, most of them aren't writing Star Wars now...

11. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Nothing from NJO has been deemed "Infinities."

12. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    It's been retconned so that there's no point to reading it from a continuity perspective, because what happened in the series isn't what "actually happened."

darklordoftech and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The plotlines at the end of TUF were thrown out in favor of what we got now so yeah kind of makes the NJO pointless.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You know, most of those guys don't write Star Wars books only. Most of them work with other franchises and/or have stories of their own.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure Denning has stories of his own which end with the entire universe getting destroyed.

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    to em the NJO should be canonized as the greatest eu series in history, but thats just me

17. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012

I agree, I think there needs to be a short list of books that people to flavor on way into EP 7. This would be my short list...

Thrawn Trilogy: Amazing
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Intro to the New Jedi Order
    NJO: Vector Prime , Balance Point, Star by Star, Destiny's Way, Unifying Force

Then if they decide to use anything after that...
    LotF: 1,9

That isn't to say that there aren't other great books and series like Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron, I, Jedi, Young Jedi Knights, Junior Jedi Knights, Dark Tide, Crosscurrent, and Riptide come to mind but these books would not effect the Skywalker Solo family in any major way.

Here is all a viewer need to know coming into the Sequel Trilogy... Ultimately nothing!

It could be simple, open on female Jedi on a diplomatic mission along side Galactic Alliance Guard, mission goes wrong, giant land battle, she is awesome. Return to council they address her as Master Fel. Ok cool, so that is Master Fel, I am following the plot line. Introduce husband, Mr. Fel, ok wait mr and mrs Fel? About that time Han and Leia walk in and greet her and reveal it to be their daughter. In doing it in such a way, you meet the character not as the child of Han and Leia, but as her own character. Get to know her, then turn it into the TWIST. Now granted most all of the EU fans would see it coming, but who didn't see Mutt as Indy's kid, really? But in doing so, it is a reverse of I am your father, but rather, oh I know you are my dad, but the audience didn't until just now.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that idea about the reverse I am your father Kyris Cavisek!

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    huh?

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012

A Reading Short list for non EU fans that want to play catch up a few months prior to Ep 7 release. I say flavor because you arent going to get the whole NJO or the Corellia Crisis. It is a taste of what happened. It's like a basic history course

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012

She has a new last name that few people know about. Let's use it to our advantage. (Mind you I was the only one to predict JJ to direct back in that one poll.)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't they say back in the fall (when the ST was announced), that the first major news about Episode 7 would come during the summer?

When could this be? What other events are coming up?

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There's no way in hell they will respect NJO.

24. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    The sequel trilogy won't respect anything that has Solo children in it. At best, Tatooine Ghost will be the last story, but I suspect they'll opt to go all the way back to Return of the Jedi.

That said, the casting call lines up with Jacen and Jaina's ages at the conclusion of the NJO... :p

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    or the Zahn books

anything from the Endor party, is going to be overwritten, and any pre ROTJ that ties in with Post ROTJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.