main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Boys and their toys.

*Now going back to doing some girly stuff like fawning over Tom Hiddleston.

2. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    That was just Zahn copping out instead of working with what he´s given. From the movies it´s quite clear ghosts have not end dates, and it´s not like they could do more than give some advice, so no DEM.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's because having ghosts walking around indefinitely is a bad idea, from a storytelling perspective. If there will *always* be that wise guy to tell all you need to know and do, why should you worry about anything?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The movies don't say one way or another.

Ben's words in Heir to the Empire "I can no longer postpone my journey from this life to that which lies beyond."

5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    And it does make sense. A Force ghost is not alive anymore, and yet it's not truly dead either. There is no real interest for anyone to remain like that forever, you only do that so you can finish your unfinished business. When Obi-Wan understood that Luke was capable of standing on his own two feet, he just withered away.

(Btw, that was the reason why Obi-Wan died in ANH in the first place: if the young heroes had a super duper Jedi Master with them, what kind of character development could they get?)

aleja2 likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I agree that the ghosts should go away after a while.

1) Jedi accept that death is a natural part of life and that they have to let go of the physical world at some point
    2) It's hard for new characters to prove themselves when there are always more experienced ghosts around

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is one line of thinking I've never got - when you've a problem, your first response is to ask someone older rather than work it out yourself?

BoromirsFan likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    If a character just asks another character that has the answer, then the character doesn't grow through conflict. It makes sense in real life but it makes for boring storytelling.

Qui-Gon lasted longer as a disembodied voice than Obi-Wan does. An imposed time limit doesn't make sense. The fact that Darth Sidious was killed does. Though that still is problematic with Dark Empire. The implication in the dialogue between Qui-Gon and Yoda is that they can exist in perpetuity within the Force; therefore, I'm inclined to believe that Obi-Wan's farewell to Luke in a dream was another instance of a certain point of view and he felt Luke had progressed beyond needing guidance.

Ulicus likes this.
  9. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    I thought it had more to do with him standing around doing nothing during the last part of the film, so he got killed instead for bonus drama points. On the good side, we got Yoda.

And again, ghosts are limited enough that they don´t work as DEMs, so where´s the problem in having someone around to discuss matters?

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Nothing wrong with that if it's not used as a poor expository trick, or just to pointlessly add back a popular character.

11. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    I think Luke would have had some serious talks with Yoda, Obi Wan and Anakin just after Endor. From learning how the Old Republic Jedi screwed up so he wouldn´t repeat their mistakes, to how his father had fallen and where the rest of his family was... and not by learning R2 had been hiding it for years. Besides that, aside from having company and somebody to talk his ideas with, ghosts can´t do much more.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Except that's not what I'm getting at, there's people who know how to do X, Y and Z but, in most cases, I'll learn most effectively by working it out myself rather than asking them. And this does happen quite a bit in SW - Luke practices with the lightsaber by himself, Han and Chewie fix the Falcon instead of dropping by a service bay.

Sure, Luke could ask Kenobi for help, but he's a young teenager - his first impulse is going to be: I don't need to do that! And, as accomplishments grow over time, so too does a sense of confidence and independence.

The idea that older, more experienced character = crutch for the younger ones isn't one that I think is actually demonstrated, it's offered as a way of justifying removing character X but I don't think people actually do operate like that.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ulicus , RC-1991 and Bib Fartuna like this.
  14. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    God, I love that man.

Zeta1127 and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Even without thinking about the DE, the idea of Palpatine using a clone of himself to jump into if his original body dies is very logical when you consider the saga. Clones and Force Ghosts are both big parts of it, and Palpatine who has talked about saving people from the death could well combine the two to come back.

It could be good, as long as we have naked Palpatine without privates dueling Luke.

Darth Ridiculis likes this.
  16. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    It could be good, as long as Palpy is the magnificient bastard from the PT and not the guy obsessed with bigger superweapons from DE. Compensating for lack of privates?

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    He actually read Darth Plagueis too, didn't he?

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    yup, and he said he could a movie being made about pre-Sith Palpatine getting abused by Cosinga.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    krtmd likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm. Nothing says Jedi can't use guns. Obi-Wan did. They just...shouldn't focus on them.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Nostalgiaaaaaaaaaaaa
    [​IMG]

23. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    ...that counts as nostalgia? I'm sure we can go deeper back further.
    [​IMG]
    a cookie to whoever posts Yoda Stories

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I can go even farther:

[​IMG]

;)

25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.