main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    That picture isn't of Jaden. And Jaden is named in the game. The picture is of an unnamed guy in a cutscene.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His lightsaber looks like an Orange Julius frozen solid.

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He's several unnamed guys, IIRC. If he has a name it's Generico diEveryman.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    On the line of thought begun the interview thread. So be it, I can't even accept one arc of TCW, no matter how good it may be, because accepting even one arc would be tantamount to condoning the destruction of the EU. So I guess I did fall in love with an idea that never really did exist, that Lucas would have a hands off approach with the EU, as stated in the forward to the 20th Anniversary Edition of HttE. I love the EU as much as the films, so all Lucas' meddling via TCW and TFU did was make me mad and loose faith in LFL's ability to respect the EU at all. I also don't believe LFL can truly restore my faith in them without undoing both TCW and TFU, and ordering the post-NJO to be redone from scratch. The former is virtually impossible since I don't think anyone there can ever say Lucas was wrong about anything.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If a story is well done, I think that's usually what should take over the lead than if it fits into canon. Somebody can always No Prize how it all fits together later on for the more continuity minded folk, of which I am one of 'em. To a point.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    For me it depends in whether the writers meddle in an already-established story that I care about.

Or, even if I'm not vested in an established story, pointless major retcons (such as character deaths) irritate me.

Minor retcons don't bother me, I really don't give a **** whether Anakin was knighted shortly after Geonosis or a year later. And if I find a story enjoyable, I'm not going to avoid it on principle.

But major pointless retcons, such as Adi's death...just no.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing is, to me, Anakin's earlier knighting is a pointless major retcon. They came up with the months after Geonosis timeline just to throw it out the window on Lucas' whim.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    SW has no credibility for me until Boba Fett was born as Jaster Mereel and not as a clone of some guy named Jango Fett.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing is, it was Lucas' prerogative to do that to Boba Fett with the PT, as much I wouldn't like to admit it, but what happened with TCW and TFU was little more than spatting in the EU's face, because neither one of those were G-canon, and, therefore, have no business doing anything of the sort.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I actually like the idea of Anakin being knighted earlier. Maybe not as early as TCW had it but having it as only 6 months before ROTS is a little silly, to me.

TheRedBlade and DigitalMessiah like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    SW has no credibility for me until Dooku is rightfully the padawan of Yoda and not Thame Cerulian.

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, don't get me wrong, the idea of a much earlier knighting isn't unreasonable to me either, but throwing out the ABG timeline to do it just doesn't work for me. When my brother and I got Hard Contact, the ABG timeline immediately became the Clone Wars for me, which was only reinforced when I read the Dark Lord Trilogy.

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Except he technically was

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Is Wookieepedia lying to me?!

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda was probably taking him as a lightsaber student at some point during the period of his Padawanship- and thus, being somewhat proprietary, calls Dooku "my old Padawan" as a result.

16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Yoda claims everyone.

It's like watching McCartney discuss the origins of most things in the Beatles Anthology.

Barriss_Coffee, Esg, RC-1991 and 3 others like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Doesn't Yoda teach all the younglings before they get assigned so that basically makes everyone who comes out of the temple his Padawan.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The code forbids it!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, "Padawan" is term of endearment for Yoda teaching the younglings. Or, in the case of Yoda to Dooku at that moment, condescension ("Taught you how to use a lightsaber when in shortpants you were, I did!"). Best I got.

CaptainPeabody, Son of a Bith and Esg like this.
  20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    "Changed your soggy diapers, I did."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Internet in storm of fury over some info about ep 7.....

[​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    oh we are screwed. Disney is going to put a half-ass product out that makes us wish it had never been done in the first place, Do it right Disney, or don't do it at all.

GrandMasterKatarn and Ghost like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's like Shigeru Miyamoto said- "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." The fact that Disney pushed Pirates 5 back indicates they're obviously willing to move things around, and yet I doubt Pirates 5 will be anywhere as grand as SW7 probably will be.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.