main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ohh, I get ya.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the movies he's not depicted as superpowerful though. He fails at lifting his ship with telekinesis- and he has to be rescued from Vader by Han and Leia in ESB, and from Palpatine by Vader in RoTJ.

I think it's the same reasoning that has led to Thrawn being hated in recent years- as a "Mary Tzu" - an unfeasibly brillant commander.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What, like the OT?

Give the 'hipster' strawman a rest, already.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Try summer of 2008. Which was actually before TFU. :p

Basically, they were more or less simultaneous events for SW.

And oh yeah, I remember that part from Win Win. But if we're going by that, then TOR (and Revan) has more impact for featuring heavily in an episode of TBBT.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The ultimate Mary Sue is the Sith and both the Jedi and the Sith are the ultimate idiot balls.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like and/hate those three for numerous reasons. I would explain exactly what those reasons are, but I have kind of already done that a few too many times for my own good.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    And Ahsoka and Starkiller never fail?

This is like gambling -- people remember the hits and forget the misses. Luke Skywalker is a simple farmboy that saves the princess and destroys the Death Star to save the Rebellion. This is okay because Luke Skywalker is the focal character of the story. But no one else is allowed to be the focal characters of their stories, or to be important in their stories. Obviously Anakin's padawan can't do important stuff, only Anakin can be important, or Obi-Wan. No other Jedi can be any good or do anything important, unless it's Yoda or Mace or something.

Ah yes, Revan. Speaking of Sue-ish characters...

Of course, when Karpyshyn does something decidedly unSue-ish with him, people are unhappy.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I must've looked at the "last airdate" fir the first season, instead of the first.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There may be an element of differing expectations.

Ahsoka is a random Padawan assigned to Anakin. We knew from the RoTS novel that Grievous is a devastating lightsaber duellist (and his bodyguard droids are pretty formidable themselves) - yet Ahsoka takes on multiple bodyguard droids in the TCW movie, and duels Grievous without getting killed in the TCW series.

A bit much, perhaps, for a random 14 year old Padawan.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Like a 19 year old padawan dueling a Dark Lord of the Sith? And doing a better job of it that Obi-Wan?

Why isn't Ahsoka allowed to be a naturally apt duelist like her master? Being the Chosen One doesn't guarantee good skill with the lightsaber.

Edit: Though I suppose if you want to use the adjective "random," I guess it's pretty random that Obi-Wan was able to defeat Darth Maul.

Darth_Henning and Gamiel like this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Examples of the Sith being a Mary Sue include them being an "idea" and the Jedi constantly thinking that they're extinct.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin never had a Padawan and Starkiller wasn't involved at all in the founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Vader wasn't captured by the Rebellion.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ahsoka is also straight out of the "children's cartoon playbook" - that children can only really connect with a series if they have someone to a minor to identify with. The cartoon adaptation of Sam and Max was particularly galling.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And Palpatine created the six-spoked bendu symbol.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I find it interesting that this thread has devolved into film purism.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    And Han shot first.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe we should return to discussing Episode VII?

Though I suppose recent EU stuff is of some importance regarding the question "What EU stuff is Disney most likely to make use of, or avoid contradicting"?

I could see a very old Ahsoka or Starkiller appearing, if both Lucas & Disney consider TFU and TCW the most important EU of recent years.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree. I hope for a political spin-off that shows the Rebel Alliance being founded without Starkiller.

20. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    In Ep 7 or rebels? I can see Ahsoka thinking the jedi really did betray the republic in rebels(Judging by the end of TCW) then learning of what Vader really is then helping the rebellion and possibly a Ahsoka vs young starkiller, but i doubt they would skip ahead to Ep 7

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    According to Pablo, Starkiller is equivalent to all other C-canon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Witwer involved in something, whether it is as Starkiller or someone else.

I would guess Ahsoka will be on Rebels. I don't think she'll necessarily be involved with the ST, because from what I've read and heard from Filoni, she wasn't intended to ever become a Jedi. It sounds likely that she will be involved with the Rebel Alliance. But I don't see her joining with Luke in reviving the Jedi order.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't doubt that both the movies and Rebels will make heavy usage of EU 'facts', like the names of aliens, or planets, secondary characters - I suppose the question will be if they will be simple easter eggs, or an ongoing usage - the Sienar poster for Rebels would seem to be the latter for the TV series. The movie, I would wager, would be more cameos and easter eggs like in the PT.

23. Pakkpekatt

Pakkpekatt Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2013
    Which Starkiller?[face_devil]

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Both at once! :D

[​IMG]

Darth_Henning likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah