main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    _Catherine_

I accidentally quoted the wrong post in which he was quoting you, then corrected my mistake. Or...?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Okay because my alerts still say I was quoted there and I was confused.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Someone really wants to be in Star Wars :p

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, JediMatteus, TKT and 4 others like this.
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    According to this report and Bob Iger, three spin-offs are already in the pipeline, but no clues as to what they are or who's in them or even what sort of creatives teams are involved. It'll be interesting to see if they film the first one right alongside Episode VII to keep people guessing as to what's going to be in what film.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    As time closes, I start wishing there weren't going to spinoff films more and more. I don't want an over-saturation of Star Wars movies....

KamSolusar, Revanfan1, wmu'14 and 3 others like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm down with spin-off films but I want them to be different tonally from each other. The Marvel Phase 2 movies have done a good job of basically cramming the superhero mold into different genres from each. I'd dig if the spin-offs carved out their own style ala how The Clone Wars would basically try on different genres for each "arc" in it's later seasons. If they're basically just like the standard Star Wars experience, that wouldn't be as interesting.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Indeed. A traditional Star Wars film every year will get tired; if they follow the Marvel example and get more and more daring and crazy with their concepts and genres (a teenager-based film revolving around a Jedi or Sith academy? a Top Gun-esque story about fighter pilots? a crime drama taking place in the lower levels of Coruscant? a Western about the turf wars between farmers and Tuskens on Tatooine? another idea mined from an existing EU story that people loved once and will love again?) the movies won't get stale. They might not all be good necessarily, but they'll at least be different.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Funny you should say that, as I said in one of my earlier posts that Sydow looks just like the Father. :p

9. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    So Anakin's destiny was linked to the whole Mortis thing? Dear god, no......The scenario in Darth Plagueis was so much better. If Disney does this, it'll be the last straw for me.

10. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    going the Mortis way would enable them to really reboot the whole franchise. not just the EU - all of it. ugh, I don't even want to think about that. but really, the Mouse could remake EPs I - VI over and over again.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    They could... provided the general public didn't vomit first as well. :p

I do kinda like the idea of Mortis playing some vague metaphorical role, but not as a main plot point. If Luke wants to wax lyrically about the netherworld and idly speculate on vague things during a Force vision? Sure, whatever, knock yourself out.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Mortis was alluded to in the Darth Plagueis novel. Thus it is evident that the author of the novel did not see a significant conflict between Mortis and the content of the book.

Darth Koo likes this.
  13. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    As much as I agree with you on that. You just know that some fans will complain that those movies didnt feel like Star Wars at all, and scream rip off of other genres. Of course is the story is good, there will be last complaints, but they will still be there.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I see. Carry on, then.

I think I'd have preferred "An Ancient Fear", if indeed there are fears most ancient involved, precisely for the reasons Jello dislikes the title.

Echoing "A New Hope" isn't a bad move, IMO.

Constantly being self-referential WITHIN the film, on the other hand....

Zorrixor and Darth Koo like this.
  15. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Why do you all seem to hate the Mortis idea, even going back to TCW?

Darth Koo likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Personally, it feels out of place, forced and unnecesarilly overcomplicates things. Just like TCW seasons 1-6.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    maybe it is over, but it is still important to me.

Darth Koo likes this.
  18. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    I felt that TCW wrapped up the whole Mortis story. I don't feel that it should come back again, since all the Mortis/Ones people were killed.

spicer likes this.
  19. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014

I think Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Assisted Living has a certain ring to it. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Well, I won't. It was fun, but there was no promised land in sight, just more contradictions to worry about. Picking and choosing canon was what the various canon levels forced us obsessive fans to do anyway. From Han paying Jabba his money to the Clone Wars, fans had to rationalize errors. But the damoclean sword of official canon always hung above our heads because we knew Lucasfilm actually tried to have a consistent story across media -- until George Lucas got too excited and ran off in his own direction. Now they don't try anymore. The sword finally fell: they devalued all of canon. Therefore they gave the rationalizations of fans more power. If you spend some time reading fan-made SW timelines, you will realize that "headcanon" rationalization is an essential glue holding this fictional universe together. Now it just doesn't have to be as obsessive as it was before. If two things don't fit, we can just shrug it off.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If the rumour was true, I'm torn myself.

I prefer the phrase "The Ancient Fear" because using a definite article feels more foreboding. "An Ancient Fear" just makes me ask: "Which one?" But the fear sounds quite ominous and threatening. Having said that, my dislike of "The Ancient Fear" is that I felt it echoed The Phantom Menace (didn't even think of ANH until I read Jello's post), and... yeah... do I need to even explain why I think echoing TPM is a bad idea? :p

So yeah, I'm torn personally.

Matt Skywalker likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If that's seriously the subtitle being suggested, I'm singularly unsurprised and I don't care for it at all. Once again it's trying to force that age is evil and youth is good. Which is ridiculous. More I hear the glader I get that I won't invest into SW emotionally going forward.

Brenapp likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

I am looking forward to the spin-off RomCom "Luke Skywalker And The Ninth Failed Romance."

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Is Ninth a numeral or the failed romance's species?

I remember Vader fighting an assassin of that species some time in the Legendsverse :p

25. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Probably would end better than How I Met Your Mother.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.