main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Well, when it comes to tenuous complaints, you certainly get points for creativity.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A car crash would end better than HIMYM did.

Sent from a loaner phone with horrid autocorrect. Expect lots of errors.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

4. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    I hate you.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

6. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    I hope they cast Miley Cyrus for Abeloth.

[​IMG]

Ghost, WMIRTUTSF, TrandoJedi and 3 others like this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

People said the same thing about "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack Of The Clones".

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Which is weird, because "Attack of the Clones" is one of the better titles, IMO.

It's pulpy, it sticks in your mind, it implies action--a lot like "The Empire Strikes Back".

e: "The Phantom Menace" is good too, actually. It's a nice turn of phrase.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Back in August of 2001, when the title for AOTC was revealed, there was a huge **** storm from a number of fans who disliked the title. I was one of those who wasn't quite a fan, but I was a bit more rational in my responses. Mostly because I thought that Lucas would try to avoid intentionally generating more backlashes for this film. This was before I realized that Lucas had developed an attitude of, "I'll do it my way regardless of what some people may think." By the end of the year, I was fine with it and enjoy it. And TPM did have quite a few complaints aimed at it in 98, due to the number of fans who were expecting something different and were confused about what it meant.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    While I have no doubt this conversation will need to happen eventually, I'd just point out that no Star Wars title has ever leaked early.

11. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Not even Revenge of the Sith? I thought we heard that one way ahead of time.

Ghost likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Sounds good, but I really don't want Star Wars: The Hunger Games or Star Twilight: A New, Hopeful Dawn. [face_laugh]

Matt Skywalker likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Nope. It was confirmed in late July or early August of 04. It was speculated by many a fan, myself included, for years. Though my reasons were due to the cover of "Star Wars Insider", the 43rd issue.

[​IMG]

Which came out in 1999 and I thought was probably going to end up as the title for Episode III. Any concluded that it would parallel "Revenge Of The Jedi" which was eventually abandoned in favor of "Return Of The Jedi".

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I still remember the day RotS was announced--it was at some panel and they handed out t-shirts.

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    To better mirror A New Hope, shouldn't it be An Old Disappointment?

purplerain, DelRiego, spicer and 2 others like this.
  16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Or Ellen Degenerate

17. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Not nearly crazy enough....

[​IMG]

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    This Cyrus creature is more terrifying than anything in the EU...better fitting for Silent Hill I think.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mortis would have been good if it had been promoted as it ended up appearing--something that happened to Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka at the GFFA version of Woodstock.

They could have even tied the arc in with Assassin, since Ahsoka saw a purple haze there.

Change the episode score to Grateful Dead, CCR and The Who, and the arc goes from good to great.

But...they promoted it as some mystical something Force beings something Anakin tests his destiny. Allllrighty then. Let's stop pretending the dude didn't have a choice about turning to the Dark Side, whether he saw his mother's ghost going evil or got yelled at by a really old dude and his red-eyed son or not.

As far as the title: mmmkay. My biggest concern is that it will either be a movie with Boyega and Ridley fighting The Apparition of Evil Luke in a cave while Good Luke stands outside the cave and philosophizes, or someone will rise from the dead. I hope I'm wrong.

Spin-offs: I totally want a Top-Gun-esque fighter pilot movie. Or a western with Tuskens. These theme spinoffs sound better than character-driven spin-offs.

Suddenly imagining Han Solo telling his kids how he met their mother. That would be good comedy, albeit not to last several seasons.

20. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    There was a Miley here, she's gone now.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "An Ancient Fear" - Rakata. Oh how I wish...

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Star Forge II?

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Now that I could get behind more than Mortis. It'd be Death Star III in all but name, but... different.

Valin__Kenobi, spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I believe that "An ancient fear" is just polarization (also, it was made up by Harry Knowles) based on:

- The first movies' title refers to something intangible, so Episode VII - "An ancient fear", "The eternal Force", "That old feeling"
    - The second movies' title talks straight about something that happens in the movie, so Episode VII - "Charge of the light-side brigade" , "The Republic under siege", "Some spaceships shoot"
    - The third movies' title is "Re___ of the (Faction)" Episode IX - "Revolution of the Jedi", "Remembrance of the Sith", "Retreat of the Mandalorians"

Also

Ep I - Bad (Menace)
    Ep II - Good (Clones)
    Ep III - Bad (Sith)
    Ep IV - Good (Hope)
    Ep V - Bad (Empire)
    Ep VI - Good (Jedi)

Ep VII - Bad
    Ep VIII - Good
    Ep IX - Bad

We can even make a guessing game!

Guxman likes this.
  25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    THAT'S what it should be called!

I'm willing to bet everything I own that's what the producers and the director are going for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.