main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    So it seems that the majority of posters on this thread think the EU is going away (though some posters have become slightly more positive in the last couple of days).

I think keeping key elements of the EU, such as The Thrawn Trilogy, etc. is necessary but I think certain pieces could be abandoned based on lower quality. With that said I really hope they are careful with how they weave in children so as to not completely wipe out the EU.

lukemaraben likes this.
  2. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I really, really hope that this rumor is complete rubbish. I don't want cheese and gimmickry, I want new, fresh, innovative, and strong development.

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Said to be intended for a IIIa, IIIb & IIIc project set during the Dark Times - we need more information, but Vader is an icon as much as the Falcon is.

4. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    But do you think iconic means it has to be continued? I don't, but I am certainly interested in your argument for why you think so if you do.

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    There is no way you could have seen Finding Nemo on video in elementary school and be old enough to post in this forum today. I refuse to believe that much time has passed. :p

TC

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I can take Vader or leave him, but I think that he's got a fan following - if only as the guy one loves to hate!

Julius Vernon likes this.
  7. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Reading between the lines of Iger and GL's videos, I suspect that they think of the EU in equivalent terms to the Marvel comics. Leave them alone, let the writers do their own thing, then mine them for good story ideas.

So I suspect we'll get movies that sort of broadly respect some of the big pieces to come out of the Thrawn trilogy, will contradict a big chunk of the EU, but the EU will continue to have books/comics being released In its own continuity.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I recently turned 20. Finding Nemo came out in 2003.

So, late elementary school :p. Should be noted that I went to elementary a bit late, so I was around a year older than most of the other other kids.

9. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I STILL DISAPPROVE. Some of us had to sit through endless repeats of Jurassic Park. Be a real age! :p

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Guess what? It's time for me to show my age. I've never seen Jurassic Park. I've been meaning to read the book (that and about a thousand other books on my "to read" pile), but I've never seen the film.

I've also only seen E.T. twice, and the last time was when I was 8, so I barely remember the plot. Also have yet to see Saving Private Ryan... man, I've been snubbing Spielberg all my life, should fix that. I've seen Schindler's List, though, so it's all good.

11. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Eh, I've never seen ET. ;)

Seriously, though, Jurassic Park I kind of hate, but it has the best John Williams score ever. I got depressed for like a month that I was a Cellist not a French Horn...ist after we got to play it in Junior Orchestra back when I was in elementary school. CUS I'M A REAL AGE.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    bah! old people, no respect for the younger generation these days/;):p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As I noted on facebook recently, depending on your registration date, there are or soon will be people posting here that were born AFTER your registration on the JC.

14. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    that has to be kinda daunting for you?

Runjedirun likes this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I love the French horn, even if I'm miserable on any brass instrument. If you're a classical/jazz musician, though, you may want me dead for saying that it wasn't any classical/jazz piece that made me love the French horn, but "For No One" by The Beatles. I didn't much care for The Beatles as a five year old, but I loved that solo.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Aaaand I just died inside. Congratulations Jello, you win Lit.

17. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    I hate jazz and love classical? :D?

But I forgive you; I also have fond memories of the Beatles from early childhood - apparently some things transcend your ridiculous youth. :p

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    How can anyone hate jazz with Al Di Meola around? :p

19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003

Don't waste your time with Saving Private Ryan. 1941 is a lot better.

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I...actually didn't see Jurassic Park or Jaws until a couple of years ago. So you're good there. As long as you've seen Raiders...

TC

21. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I never said it will be "more interesting" by default, i was stating that for me, personally that it would be easier to follow and interest me more, just as the prequels and the political and military landscape they set up allowed the EU material written in that timeframe to interest me much more than the Galactic Alliance etc

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I suddenly understand my thirtysomething coworkers' blank, vaguely pitying stares when I tell them I've never seen, say, The Breakfast Club.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Your initial comment I responded to said this (emphasis mine):

That suggests the new EU books would have a more interesting backdrop than the old, simply because the movies provided it. My point was you can't assume that will be the case, especially because the prequel EU backdrop wasn't entirely composed of (or, in many cases, even a majority composed of) the film backdrop.

The live action films don't do it any favors, either ;).

JP & TLW are worth both watching and reading- the novels are almost entirely different experiences and tones that they can be read independently of the films adapting them.

E.T. is actually, IMO, a film best experienced as an adult than as akid. Never liked it growing up, but when i got to see it on the bug screen ten years ago, I fell in love with it.

All that said, I refuse to believe there are people who were born after Jurassic Park came out and do not know of a filmgoing world before it.

Thus, I suspect the human race will undergo mass extinction in approx. 80 years...

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Lawl fair enough, strong detective skills
    i still stand by that. It was my post, and a statement, hence implying it was my opinion. I think the vast majority of people's posts on this site are their opinion, unless you want everyone to preface every post with *this is my opinion and it may not hold true for everyone else*

in summary: i suspect, at this stage, that EU books in new reality/timeframe, were they to eventuate, would be cool . . . in my opinion

25. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    What was specifically stated in the conference call with Disney this afternoon is “what we’re buying… is a pretty extensive & detailed treatment for the next three movies.” Lucas says “I have story treatments for [Star Wars] seven, eight, and nine, and and a bunch of other movies, and obviously we have hundreds of books and comics.”

Does this mean we are factoring in the 100's of books?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.